Sunday, 1 February 2009

Patterns in blue

I was really inspired by the inside of this blue bowl. It has gorgous colours and patterns. It inspired me to paint this piece of silk. I love to use silk, it has such a beautiful sheen to it

I am working on the piece of silk adding machine embroidery, hand stitching and beads and hope to post a picture of the finished piece later today. I will add it to this post, not post separately so please take another look later ...


































6th Feb update - I have added a bit more stitching to this piece - some machine embroidery, silk fibres and beads. It's not finished yet but here are a few more pictures of how it's going ...






























These are silk fibres with a luxurious sheen. I added some of these beautiful hand dyed silk fibres to the centre of the silk by couching them on with invisible stitches. They went perfectly with the silk














I want to add some more hand stitching, probably french knots and another sprinkling of beads ...














22nd Feb update
- The finished blue piece

I used fine one ply cotton to stitch lots of tiny french knots and seed stitches

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Both the bowl and your silk painting are lovely!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thanks Sarah - I've nearly finished the piece and will post soon!!

Barbara Johnson said...

Holy Smokes Carolyn (sorry to put you on a first name basis but I've been powering through your blogs and have - obviously - become a smitten fan of yours)...that progression of work is beautiful!