Saturday, 21 February 2009

A postcard from Tenerife ...

A virtual postcard for you from Tenerife ...


















Last week we had a treacherous drive from St. Ives to Stanstead through ice, sleet and snow along the way but after only an hour's delay, while they de-iced all planes, we were on our way to Tenerife

But once there, we had a very relaxing time. The weather was gorgeous - blue skies and lots of sunshine. There were beautiful flowers everywhere, poinsettias, geraniums, hibiscus and bougainvillea in every shade of purple, pink, red orange and yellow and these rather interesting plants with yellow and orange berries that look just like beads ...






















































































Isn't nature amazing!

































We stayed at an apartment just outside Puerto de Santiago and it had this beauiful view over the giant rocks of "Los Gigantes"











and we had our own little garden


















There were some very interesting trees, I don't know what they were called but they had really amazing seed pods. I managed to get one to bring home with me for my Embroiderers Guild sketchbook project





























Sitting in the sun, I finished off some cuff bracelets I'd made for The Printmakers Gallery in St. Ives. I make them by knitting wire and beads. I used to sell a lot of these, but I made so many a couple of years ago that I needed a break from them! So, I recently got round to making another fifteen of them, all different colours, and they just needed the little catches sewing on, so I was very good and got them finished. They will go in the gallery this week ...














... and I worked on my blue piece adding lots of french knots. I stitched them in one ply cotton so they were very tiny little knots - but now I can say that's finished too!














10 comments:

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

Thank you for sharing all these lovely photos - good to hear you enjoyed your holiday.
The wrist bracelets look gorgeous - I'm looking forward to seeing more things! Connie, x

art space gallery, st ives said...

You are clever! Love the Tenerife photos.

Clevelandgirlie said...

Oh my goodness - this is one of the most beautiful pieces of stitching I have ever seen. I don't know if you are familiar, but there is a place in the US, in Oregon called Crater Lake, I would name this beautiful piece Crater Lake - here is a link - go take a look, it's as if you were perched on a cloud, looking down stitching it's portrait. Gives me chills.
cut and paste this link.

http://images.google.com/images?ndsp=18&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4GPEA_enUS310US310&q=crater+lake+from+the+air&start=126&sa=N

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Oh wow! I just took a look at the Crater Lake link and I see what you mean! I've never even heard of Crater Lake before!

Several people have said my blue piece reminds them of a geode which appeals to me as I love pebbles and crystals and I've a few natural grey/silver ones in my collection. So I've decided I'm not going to give a name to my blue piece because I like that people are interpreting my piece their own way and seeing different things in it!

Thank you for all comments - it's very kind of you all!

Judy Scott said...

Welcome home :) what a scary journey that must have been and what relief when you took off and were on your way there, the post card is just lovely with beautiful images. Your cuffs are exquisite and the images of the flowers are awesome I can see some projects coming from them ~ and that view would be just perfect right now, so lovely to have you back, have a good week, love Judy x

Jackie said...

Thank you for your comment. I am enjoying reading your blog. I love St Ives and Tenerife looks hot!

Carol said...

Thanks for your comment, I am glad to have found you too:)
The bracelet is beautiful

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and leave lovely comments - it's so nice to hear from you all!

Julie said...

What a beautiful place and beautiful photographs of the flowers too.

I echo the comments about your blue piece, the stitching is lovely.

Barbara Johnson said...

Continuously lovely posts and work. I too love the fabulous seed pod you retrieved from Tenerife. I have a collection of these from my trips to Hawaii. The ornamental tree, called Royal Poinciana or Flamboyant (in English), is common in many tropical locales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delonix_regia