Friday, 6 February 2009

A Winter Woodland Walk

As the rest of the country is covered with another blanket of snow, we haven't had a single snowflake in St. Ives, although I hear it's bad "up country" and this is a little worrying as we are going on holiday on Monday and I'm hoping we can make it through to the airport ok and that the flight isn't delayed or cancelled!

Here in St. Ives we have bitterly cold gale force winds (and I mean gale force!). I haven't been out for a week and I woke up with a bit of a headache, so I decided to take myself for a walk today. This walk is just across the road from where I live - would you like to come with me?





























Woodland path through Treloyhan Manor





























Primroses, heather, magnolias, crocus and tulips all in bud and almost ready to burst. I find the gardens of Treloyhan Manor are so peaceful




























A solitary winter rose

















[pink rose on a black & white background - altered with photoshop]
















A magnolia tree in bud

















My favourite holly bush - with green, orange, red and pink prickly holly leaves - it's like this all year round!

















Soon I was on the coast path












Primroses on the coast path and wild waves!
[To see the primroses - click on the picture to see it bigger]

















St. Ives harbour from the coast path - I was freezing taking this!













St. Ives from Porthminster beach

















I sat on the seat by St. Ives Arts Club and watched the waves for a while before running my errands ... it was bracing!

5 comments:

Clevelandgirlie said...

I wish I could walk this with you. How beautiful - crisp, cold, fresh air - how I love that. Thank you for the photos. YOu are one lucky girl to live so near this beautiful paradise.

Julie said...

Your walk brought back some lovely memories. We usually walk to the hotel at Carbis Bay for Sunday lunch when we're in St Ives. My DH would love to see that crashing sea!

Evelyn said...

It's a very beautiful walk. You are very lucky to have such lovely scenery right on your doorstep!!

Hens Teeth said...

Wonderful walk and primroses too. No sign of anything green here!
It was a real treat to go that walk with you! Have a great holiday x

Barbara Johnson said...

Loved the walk and I didn't even have to put on a coat (especially since it's summer when I've read it :). Wonderful photos.