Thursday, 19 March 2009

Spring in St. Ives














Although I "blog without obligation" I have to say I'm sorry that I haven't blogged much here the last couple of weeks. I've had a lot going on behind the scenes and I'm having the most amazing stash bust ever! I have a room-full (and a loft-full) of "stuff" but can never find anything! Mainly, the clear out was initiated by "losing" my smallest, sharpest, bestest pair of scissors ... and, so far, they have still not come to light and I am bereft without them!! Scissors are so personal, don't you think?

Over on the other blog I have been busy blogging an ongoing textile project which you can see here if you are interested: Global Warming

The weather has been gorgeous in St. Ives all week and on Sunday hubby and I went for a long walk down the coast path and across four beaches: Porthminster beach, Harbour beach, Porthgwidden beach and Porthmeor beach. It was so good to get out in the sunshine after being home with a cold for a week. I love St. Ives and love living here. I'm working on some stitched collages of St. Ives as well as collages that include old family photos for my Calico Journal series, which I will show at some stage































For "Mosaic Monday" I managed a mosaic which is related to the textile project mentioned above and can be seen here: Mosaic

Also managed a spot of "Gardening Monday" - I've been buying bulbs every week from The Pound Shop and this week planted half a dozen aquilegia bulbs. I was surprised how big they were with great long roots. I only got three packets this week as you don't get so many of those in a bag for your pound and we spent quite a bit on the cherry tree last week. We've kept the garden tidy every week since New Year and now it's looking very pretty with crocus, primroses, hellebores, perriwinkle, daffs, miniature daffs and grape hyacinths

When I was out earlier I noticed the fields are now full of golden daffodils ready for market and so many of the wild flowers at the moment are yellows: winter aconite, gorse, catkins, pussy willow, crocus, daffs, narcissus, primroses, primulas ...

I'm feeling tired today because it's that time of the year when the seagulls are nesting on next door's roof and driving us mad!













Usually I love seagulls, the cry of the gulls reminds me that I live by the sea, I even have them on my "everyday" bag but ...



























... I don't love 'em squawking at the tops of their gullets at 6 o'clock in the morning when all I want to do is bury my head under the pillows for another couple of hours!!!! Arrrrgh!!!!

Always "on pasty watch"

















This week I also had my "Christmas Crow Day" with Jo, who was very good and made small embellished pieces for Christmas (brooches and cards). I "needed" to work on my wet-felted piece of felt on the embellisher ... if you like you can follow progress here














Hope you all have happy creative days until the next time ...

18 comments:

Julie said...

I sympathise with you over the gulls :o( but oh Beautiful, beautiful St Ives! We have booked "Turnstones" on The Warren for 2 weeks at the end of September and I can't wait!

Your inchies are very pretty and certaibly speak of Spring and I look forward to seeing the outcome of your wet-felting.

I hope you find your scissors.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thanks Julie, so do I! I miss my scissors - I got them at the "Stitches" show in Exeter from Fay Maxwell and they are so sharp and pointy for the minutest cutting back ... :o(

Amy said...

Seagulls are awesome. Some dont' like them at the beach, but I love to watch them fly around..and their lil' squawks too! Hee hee
I also love the drawing's of the bird's!

Your Inchies are a beautiful yellow.

Thank you for coming by my blog..hugs..

Amy said...

I forgot to mention the Heart in rocks..SWEET as can be! Love that photo..great for scrapbooking..I will have to remember that on maybe vactation and do that at a beach this coming summer. I will remember that picture!

Kayla coo said...

We live so far away from the sea.
Seeing your pictures makes me want to be on holiday.
You live in a beautiful place.
Love your spring flowers.
Michala x

Jackie said...

I'm with kayla in everything she said. You seem to have well advanced flowers. Even in relation to the rest of lancashire we have a 'slow' garden becasue we are so high up.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Hi Jackie, usually it's a little milder here in Cornwall but we have had a relatively hard winter for us! Hope your Spring arrives very soon to cheer you up!

BumbleVee said...

beautiful springtime inchies... and the little stick birdies always fascinate me.

One of the textile gals has been drawing some with her left hand because she broke her right wrist during the winter...I love 'em... they're so cute.

hope you find the scissors... you're right... some are just better than others...

Gina said...

I love the little yellow inches - so cheerful! I like the gulls too. I enjoyed hearing them every morning when I was in Jersey but I think I might tire of the noise if it was at 6 am everyday!

Fiona Whitehead said...

Gorgeous inchies - they're so full of life! Love your photos of your flowers in your garden.

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

Hi, it's lovely catching up on all these things Carolyn.
You know I love the global warming project - the old photos are great, and the inchies delightful!
Oh - those aquilegia! LOL
I planted some when we started our garden 51 years ago (a new plot) - I don't know what colour they were or where I planted them as by now dozens come ever year anywhere and everywhere!
They cross pollinate,seed all over, and have come as different colours over the years. They have been given to everyone we know. Now they are usually very small, dark red/white, and embedded in other plants - I still love them! Connie.

Hens Teeth said...

I'm sorry, I can't help it, I'm feelin' a little envious ;-) What a place to live, you must have to pinch yourself at times. To walk all those beaches and be part of the community must be blissful.
Oh, and those bird drawings are just wonderful.

AngelaC said...

Hi Carolyn - thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog! I love your inchies, they are so pretty and Spring like! Fab photos too - you are very lucky to be living in such a beautiful part of the country (despite the gulls LOL).
Angela xx

Ellen said...

oh what a lovely place you live in. Your nature pictures are stunning and the inchies... I see you are hooked doesn't take long does it. They're very cheerful love the use of text on there.
Felting as well , you're a jack of all trades.
good luck on the scissors front I know the feeling.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thanks so much for all the nice comments, I'm overwhelmed!

Connie, I hope my aquilegia spread all over the garden like yours, I didn't know they do that! I always try to plant bulbs so that they just come up on their own because I'm not very good at growing seeds or what to do with plants once they're in the garden! I put them in and they've got a 50/50 chance!! LOL

Gunnels blog said...

So beautiful blogpost and pictures! I too love the sea!
Have a nice wekeend! And thanks for lovely comments

missy k said...

Hi I LOVE your inchies - they are just so 'Spring'. I had a great time visiting your blog and have 'bookmarked' you:) We visited St Ives two summers ago and it was BEAUTIFUL..... some v STEEP hills!!!! I made an atc about it... my son took a picture of a seagull sat on a sign saying 'Don't feed the seagulls'. We visited the art gallery too.... I think I may have turned green by now:) Ps hope you don't mind me asking but where do you manage to get Altered Arts Magazine in the UK?

Jen said...

Just found your blog and I LOVE your photos!