Saturday, 18 April 2009

St. Ives

Had a lovely week - we had friends staying with us since Monday. I've been doing the tourist thing and as you will see the weather was different every day and very much affected what we did, but this is what I've been up to:

Monday
Raining heavily so we didn't venture out till late afternoon. We went to The Lifeboat and had a few pints of Cornish bitter and fish n chips for tea

By the time we came out of the pub it had stopped raining and the sky was beautiful and pink, a promise of nice weather to come on Tuesday

"Red sky at night, shepherd's delight"














Tuesday
Another lovely day in St. Ives with beautiful weather

Red boat

















 

Taken at the end of the lifeboat pier



















"On chip watch"














The Lifeboat Station was open so we went in and had a look at the lifeboat. On the wall inside there were some amazing photos of St. Ives lifeboats through the ages

Launching the lifeboat















All hands and ages to the ropes














 
Naming ceremony 1930s














Had a look in "lots" of galleries including Art Space Gallery on the harbour front. If you are interested, they have a blog and we follow each other which is nice! I got some inspiring art cards for my sketchbooks while I was there and ...

















... in the Mariners Gallery I saw an exhibition of inspiring printed artworks by various artists

Penwith Printmakers Exhibition















Taken from above the Warren










I like the colours in this photo, the yellow of the lichen on the cottage roofs and the beautiful greeny blue of the sea ...

Wednesday
The weather changed again and we had Cornish mizzle all day but, undeterred, we headed for Marazion and spent all afternoon going round more art galleries. As you can see from this picture you can hardly see St. Michael's Mount through the misty drizzle

Mount in the mizzle!








Of course I managed quite a bit of retail therapy over the last few days, especially when it was drizzling!! Here is a little selection of goodies acquired















Pebble/cobble fabric, threads, art cards, printed papers, ink pads, little lacy bucket for altered art, feathers, sketchbooks and canvases





























Thursday
To top our week off we went to the pictures to see "The Boat That Rocked" Thursday night at St. Ives cinema. I thought it was a bit of light hearted fun and definitely reminded me of when I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg under my pillow late at night. I also used to get the mag "Fab 208". Does anyone else remember this? I'm talking early 1970's!!!

Now
Getting back to normal now and a bit more time for stitching again

Tidy desk












Thought I'd show you a picture of my very tidy desk before it gets all messed up again, which won't take long!!

I finished my St. Ives collage, I machine stitched the layers, hand sewed on the shells, lots of french knots and a few beads

If you would like to see my stitching in much more detail you can view it on flickr - click here: LOVE STITCHING RED












Wishing you a happy weekend ♥

16 comments:

annax said...

Ooooh fish and chips. I do so so so miss England. You live in a lovely part of the world. Maybe one day I will return...

Have a lovely weekend!

Murgelchen94 said...

Yes, it´s real lovely part of the world.
The collage of St. Ives is only wonderful.
LG,
Helga

Kayla coo said...

I would love to visit St Ives, it looks so beautiful and I can see how you are inspired.
Lovely work.x

Hens Teeth said...

I'm as green as grass ;-) Good weather or not, if you are going to be anywhere in the rain Cornwall is as good as it gets!
I have, yet again, so enjoyed your visual diary. It makes me yearn to live there, along with the rest of the UK!
Lovin' your collage, very, very gorgeous.

jackie said...

I was thinking the same thing, what a nice place to be even if it is raining.

Julie said...

What a wonderful post, I enjoyed all of it, especially the views os my second home! Can you believe that weather on Tuesday? Looks like summer.

Your collage has worked beautifully. I like the addition of the cloves.

Did you get the pebbles fabric in St Ives? and the printed paper?

Julie said...

Oh yes, and I remember Radio Luxembourg very well, the signal used to get interference from other channels at night where I lived. Loved listening to it on my little tranny tho.

Art Space Gallery said...

Lovely post Carolyn, thanks for including the photo of Art Space.

Like you I saw 'The Boat that Rocked' and thought it very funny -loved the music. Bill Nighy was the best dancer! Listened to Radio Luxembourg a lot in the distant past because the reception was too poor most of the time to pick up Radio Caroline. BFN. Lesley.

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

OOOHH!!!! your pictures bring back some very happy memories of a couple of holidays I had in Cornwall. I can almost smell the sea.
I love your collage.

Tracy said...

Lovely photo's, made me feel very home sick, Cornwall just wouldn't be Cornwall without the mizzle :)
The collage is just gorgeous.

Clevelandgirlie said...

You have the most wonderful sense of color, objects and art Carolyn. The fabric you selected is exquisite - I absolutely LOVE that pebble fabric - I've never seen anything like it. And that first picture - what a mystical cast of pink light the buildings are bathed in - really pretty.
And that transluscent blue water - magical.

And finally - what the HECK IS A CORNISH MIZZLE??? I don't even want to tell you what it sounds like it is to me!
XO

Fiona Whitehead said...

What gorgeous pictures - they should use you for the Tourist Board - it look slovely.

Jackie said...

Thank you for this lovely tour. I fel as if I was there.

Jackie said...

And your collage is lovely too.

Amy said...

This is Gorgeous!!! Love the elements and fiber's...everything is so perfectly done!!! You have beautiful picture's to share on your blog as well!!

Wend said...

Yes - I remember Fab 208 magazine! Do you remember Disco 45 too - where the song lyrics to all the singles/45s were published? I have just discovered your blog which is great - I love your lists of artisits and galleries and will enjoy trawling through all those links too. Thank you very much!