Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Whimsical dotty bird

I'm having a very busy week doing our financial year end filing, accounts and tax so not much time to create and I can't concentrate on anything much till it's done















On Monday I managed a little whimsical collage drawing which I painted with twinkling shimmery metallic paints in burnt umber.
I used some of the dotty guinea fowl feathers for the tail and some text

"it was past five in the morning, and the birds were already singing away"












































I mounted it on a square white canvas, then painted it with wax. I also dipped the black ivy seedhead in wax. I finished the edges in burnt umber with copper metallic dust

















For a Year of Colour - polka dots

15 comments:

daisy said...

Gorgeous :o)

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thank you Daisy :o)

Julie said...

Lovely collage Carolyn.

Hens Teeth said...

I love dotty bird.

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

I love your dotty bird. Thank you for posting the link to making a mosaic.

Clevelandgirlie said...

Yes - this is gorgeous. Love the dottee feathers and the wax and the little color chart at the bottom. It all adds up to a uniquely YOU creation.

St Ives Birds & Photo Journal said...

Hi Carolyn. As you're in St Ives I'm sure we'll bump in to each other sooner or later.
I love your bird but I wouldn't want to hear Guinea fowl at 5 in the morning. Or any time for that matter ;-))

Michael House said...

I love the bird, fabulous!

Lisa Cook said...

Goodness I LoVe your work!! such colors. such whimsy. such happiness. Thank you for sharing!!

Gina said...

I love your dotty bird too!

missy k said...

This is simply beautiful.... i love the muted colours and how you make everything look so simple - when I just KNOW its anything but! The feathers are cute!!!! Hope your peg bag has stayed clean this week!!!

Karenx

Amy said...

this is amazing..I just love it alot!!

Jude said...

Sweet!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thank you all for your comments - I love to hear from you all, it means a lot to me!

Lisa - I tried to reply to you, but I see you don't have a blog - thank you for your inspiring words

and thanks Karen - yes it's a poop-free peg bag so far this week!

:o)

Dot said...

Hi Carolyn
I have been meaning to pop over since you visited my blog last week. Thankyou so much for your lovely comments.
You live in a beautiful part of the world (and a part I would love to visit one day).
I love your dotty bird - your art has a sense of whimsy about it. And the colors you use are gorgeous.
Am a bit partial to red myself :)
Waving hello from Australia!
Dot xx