Saturday, 9 May 2009

Figures and Faces

Hope you are having a good weekend. Mine has started off really happy with some lovely post today ... a parcel from Cathy Cullis




















I am the very happy owner of the first of Cathy's "imaginary friends". As with a lot of Cathy's work I instantly fell in love with this doll and simply had to have it!! I love the delicate tones and the gentle hand stitching, but the ears did it for me, pretty oak leaf shapes with white stitching ... yummy! The doll already looks lovely in my dresser of white things




















Inside the package were some of Cathy's moos, cards and this beautiful description of my doll ...

"Feathery is a gentle doll of layers and details, inspired by daydreams, whispers, birdsong, the sound of leaves growing in sunlight ..."
















Inside the parcel was another surprise - Cathy gave me a hand stitched linen heart filled with lavender which smells strongly delicious and I love that too. I feel very very lucky!




















You can see Cathy's "imaginary friends" - a collection of art dolls here where you can follow the link to her shop if you would like one of her dolls - most have sold and she only has a small few left so hurry!

It's been a week of figures and faces!
Last Saturday I went to see an exhibition of contemporary art at St. Ives Society of Artists and the Mariners Gallery, St. Ives called Subversive Figures

Subversive - to subvert, to overturn from the foundation; to overthrow; to ruin utterly, to pervert, as the mind, and turn it from the truth; to corrupt; to confound, to overthrow anything from the foundation; to be subversive

I liked the work by artist Daniel Barnard
Daniel also has work on show in his workshop
in the Sloop Market, St. Ives

"Adrift Alone" - mixed media sculpture - Sue Dove



















I also love the work of artist Sue Dove. Her textile art work is always so original, colourful and imaginative. I am lucky to own one of Sue Dove's art dolls too!

Some of the work in the exhibition was not my cup of tea at all but I would recommend a visit, it was extremely interesting. The show is on till 2nd June 2009

Then there were my faces for the inchie challenge (see below). I enjoyed this week's inchie theme

My plans for the week ahead have suddenly been changed at short notice. Hubby was going to be working away and I thought I would have lots of stitching time ahead this week but I have decided to go and spend time with my parents instead. Dad hasn't been too good healthwise for a while now and I feel the need to be with them. I shall take some stitching with me and my laptop too, but I don't know if I will get a wifi signal where I'm going (latter part of the week I will be on a farm near Holsworthy)

Wishing you lots of creative happiness for the week ahead!

17 comments:

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

You are lucky to have those things from Cathie - she is so talented.
(Love your white china too!)
Enjoy your week with your parents, I hope your Dad is getting better, Connie, x

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thank you Connie x

Diane said...

St Ives is full of very very talented individuals. Wish I was in St Ives

Cathy said...

Hello Carolyn, thank you for the fantastic mention and for showing Feathery in new surroundings, always lovely to see my 'work' elsewhere and quite humbling... I am just pleased you liked your package and thank you again - have a good weekend - Cathy x

Kayla coo said...

I think your imaginary friend looks quite at home.
Cathy's work is so beautiful.
Hope you have a lovely time with your parents.x

Art Space Gallery said...

Love Cathy's 'imaginary friend'. Have a good trip, hope your Dad improves. Will try to remember to take a camera to Bristol AAF. Best wishes.

Lesley

Julie said...

I've not seen Cathy Cullis's work before but her doll looks charming. Thank you for the link to the Subversives Exhib. Not my cup of tea but interesting. What did St Ives make of it?

I hope you have a good week with your parents.

Gez said...

Feathery is gorgeous I just love her shoes no wonder you fell for her. :-) I love her ears too!

Awe Bless you Carolyn I hope you have a good week with your parents & your fathers health improves. Take care... I do hope you can get a signal. Gez.xx

Art4Sol said...

What a beautiful doll..you are very lucky indeed!

Dottie said...

Oh Carolyn your spot is such a happy place to come for a visit...I must say tranquil...hope you have a great week with your parents. Are you by any chance on facebook? Would you email me at: grannyd50iam@yahoo.com Thanks so much... Dottie

Hens Teeth said...

As Dottie said, your blog is always a pleasure to visit. So much beauty and interest.
I hope you have some really good quality time with your ma and pa. x

Gina said...

What wonderful dolls. I'm a fan of Sue Dove's work too. Have a good week Carolyn.

annax said...

Oh how much loveliness! Really lovely!

missy k said...

Hi!

Hope your week is going well and that you are having a good time with your parents.

Loved your last post... your doll is beautiful... did you take her away with you:) Like Gez, I love her shoes!!!!

Take care.... look forward to hearing what you've been doing when you get back!!!

Karen

Jackie said...

I love the work of Sue Dove. So much better in reality too.

meplusmolly said...

Thank you Carolyn! I had a lovely weekend.
Hope you had a good weekend too.
Beautiful purchase from Cathy ;0 x

Judy Scott said...

gorgeous doll and heart and she looks so lovely with all your white treasures, hope you enjoy your stay with your parents ~ see you when you get back ~ Judy xxx