Friday, 12 June 2009

Postage Stamps - Inchies































As I walked into St. Ives a few days ago I noticed a large crop of white and pink valerian that was smothered in these butterflies - I must have stopped and watched for at least half an hour snapping away ...



























I thought it would be fun to make a couple of my photos into postage stamps using a flickr toys program



























This week's theme on Inchy by Inch is postage stamps


















I started collecting stamps as a child when my Dad gave me his very old collection of English and English Commonwealth stamps which I think he had passed down to him as a boy. I still have it and treasure it. Well, for quite a while I was very "nerdy" about stamps, sticking them carefully in albums and looking them up in the Stanley Gibbons catalogues, etc. I eventually outgrew this phase around the time I went to secondary school ... but I kept the stamps and the albums

About a year ago, I got round to sorting out bags and bags of stamps I'd put to one side because I liked the pictures and sorted them out into themes and colours and now I am so glad I did! I was able to go straight to these lovely butterfly stamps which I have used for my inchies


















My job was made a whole load easier this week thanks to Karen and Gez. Karen and Gez both pointed me in the right direction of using pre cut inch square chips and Karen very kindly sent me a few to get me started. I am so grateful because straight away it was easier to get the size exactly right and they are also quite sturdy little canvases to work on - THANK YOU!!


















These are the materials I used to work with:


















Copper ink pad, copper glitter, strips of paper cut from wrapping paper and my favourite shimmering twinkling H2O paints in Ginger Peach, Yellow Rose and Persimmon


















There was a bit of paint left in the palette so I soaked it up with kitchen paper - these paints are so precious I can't bear to waste a drop!!































and where I placed my inchies on a piece of tissue to dry it left these lovely patterns that reminded me of the lichen below ...

13 comments:

daisy said...

Oh my Carolyn these are beautiful photographs ... & they make fab stamps.

Pom Pom said...

So pretty! The stamps make them look extra special!

Julie said...

What beautiful photographs Carolyn. There were a lot of these butterflies in Wales last week. I think they are Painted Ladies which have come in from Africa.

The postage stamp thingy is great. I shall have to have a go with that.

Hens Teeth said...

Another inspirational post Carolyn!

Gez said...

Hi Carolyn.

Your photos are stunning. Just shows its a good idea to carry your camera everywhere. Glad you had fun with the blank inchies. Your challenge inchies look fabulous.

Love your home-made lichen. Thank You for a most inspirational post.

Hope you have a lovely weekend. Gez.xx

Tracy said...

Looks like you are having some good weather again :) Your photos are beautiful. I've just had a look at the inchie site, huummmmmm might give this a go, such a wonderful idea.
Hope you have a fun filled weekend, I'm nursing a sore back from too much garden activity :(

Fiona Whitehead said...

Gorgeous inchies Carolyn and I love the story behind them. I had a gorgeous blue butterfly in my garden during the hot weather - not sure what it was - I did take a picture so will try and dig it out.

meplusmolly said...

Ooo beautiful Carolyn! lovely colours ;0

jasminduft said...

I love the photos and what you did with them. The inchies are absolutely wonderful!

missy k said...

Hi Carolyn

Your photographs are beautiful... I do love to see butterflies they make me feel happy!

Love how you made them into stamps!!!

Your inchies are really pretty... good idea showing the 'ingredients!'

I was a stamp nerd too for a while, I inherited an album, still have it .... would never get rid of it.... I still like to get it out and browse through it!!!!

I am glad you like the inchie blanks.... I love the chunky feel it gives to them and like you say it is a good solid base to work on.

ps I ordered 'Somerset Apprentice' last week - have you heard of it? It looks really good.

Have fun in the sun!

Karenx

Pom Pom said...

Hi Carolyn!
Thank you SO much for your comment on my blog! I value input! Check out my recent post on troll dolls! I love following your blog!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Hi, Carolyn! I have awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award for your wonderfully informative and inspiring blog.

You can visit my blog at www.scdiva.blogspot.com to find out how to pass along the award to 15 of your favorite bloggers.

Congratulations, and thank you so much for the inspiration!

Lynda

Catharina Maria said...

That is great , love it !
Rini the Netherlands