Thursday, 18 June 2009

Taking a blog break ...

SATURDAY 11TH JULY - A little update!

Thank you for staying in touch with me and visiting me here while I've been away. I hope to be back blogging again soon ...



This is a bit of a long post, I know, but it's also the last one for a little while because I'm taking a short blog break and I'll explain why later ...









First, I would like to say thank you so much to Diva Designs for my lovely blog award - it's very pretty - thank you! And now ...

I Meant To Do My Work Today
Richard LeGallienne

I meant to do my work today
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree
And a butterfly flitted across the field
And all the leaves were calling me

And the wind went sighing over the land
Tossing the grasses to and fro
And a rainbow held out it's shining hand
So what could I do but laugh and go .....













Jo gave me this poem for my birthday and it sums up how I feel at the moment! Right now, I don't want to be spending so much time on the computer - I want to be outdoors - I want to be in the garden - I want to go for nature walks - I want to be on the beach picking up pebbles, I want to sort my home out and I want to "play" .....













So I'm going to take a little blog break because I've got a lot going on at the moment at home and at work

We are in the middle of what will, hopefully, be the last of our big renovating jobs in the cottage. It's been a long slog but when I look back at what we have achieved it's no wonder we feel like we've been on it forever. Since we moved in we have had a new roof, had the roof insulated, enlarged the loft doorway, boarded out the loft, fitted a new bathroom upstairs and re-enamelled the existing Victorian bath, knocked down a passageway to make a bigger bedroom, had all the electrics re-wired, had all the walls re-plastered, repaired the sash windows, decorated throughout, knocked down the old out house which housed a disgusting outside loo which was akin to something you might find on "I'm a Celebrity ..." (I used to call it "the bushtucker trial" to set foot in there), we have built a new extension with extra downstairs bathroom and a small utility room with fitted glass cupboards and worktop, fitted a new kitchen, exposed the granite inglenook fireplace and fitted a gas stove (the inglenook was hidden behind 1960's pine cladding), a new dining room ceiling and had the whole of the downstairs floor re tiled and that's without mentioning all the outside jobs we've done ....

Can you believe someone would want to hide this
behind a load of grotty 1960's pine cladding?




















The jobs we are tackling at the moment are to replace the heavy cast iron bath (because the enamel has come off again), tile the bathroom floor upstairs and redecorate the whole bathroom, build a new fireplace around a Victorian black leaded fireplace in one of the bedrooms, raise the floor level up in our sitting room, which also means replacing the slate tiled hearth, fit three new "old" doors upstairs and get new carpets. I deserve new carpets for what I've had to put up with for the last few years ... we still have a hideous piece of "office carpet" up the stairs left by the previous owners which really is disgusting

On top of this work going on at home, and the knock on extra housework cleaning up after, I'm busy with my own things too:

I've joined the "Textured Surfaces" workshop. I'm still waiting for a delivery of goodies from Ario but as soon as it arrives I want to get started on the samples ! I've downloaded and read through the workshop sheets ... now I'm just hoping the postman is loaded down with stuff tomorrow ... and I've just treated myself to a lovely new sketchbook from Jackie (Dogdaisy) to stick the samples in ...
































A little piece Jackie stitched inside the sketchbook














and ... the deadline is looming for finishing off my critter stuffies for the Cloth Paper Scissors challenge ...

and ... I'm blogging here an art quilt I've made with a tropical vegetation, trees, leaves and flowers theme ...

and ... I'm supposed to stitch or make something on a "berry" theme for our bi-monthly Crow Day challenge

and ... still to finish off my holly garland and birdie ornaments from the last Crow Day

and ... we have another Crow Day coming up next week - making little books ...

and ... I'm just putting the finishing touches to a stitched piece for a swap I'm doing with Cathie ...

and ... I need to make more bracelets for the gallery because I've sold almost all the ones I made earlier in the year ...

I want to be among the flowers ...
















I enjoy blogging so I will return, as soon as I've caught up with myself, and in the meantime I will still visit your blogs from time to time and keep in touch by email etc. and also you can still follow me here until the end of June if you want to ... I do hope you stay following me because I will be back .....

35 comments:

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I won't write much as you'll never have time to read it.
Your cottage sounds delightful - enjoy all the things you have planned, I'll miss you!
Connie. xx

Clevelandgirlie said...

Me toooo - I'll miss you, but I think I just might follow your lead. I'm spending waaaay too much time blogging and reading blogs (YOURS!) and I need to step back and focus inward. SO - let's step back, take a breath and enjoy life.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Don't worry, you will all still hear from me ... and I'll be back before you know it!

Just while the sun shines and the butterflies flutter by and the baby blackbirds need feeding and the hedgerows are so pretty ... I'll be away for a short while ...

Feltbug said...

Sounds like a very good idea - have a wonderful and productive and restful time enjoying the summer :) Thankyou for all your lovely comments x

Gina said...

Enjoy your break. Look forward to when you come back!

Jo said...

Just to say I enjoyed trip to the College Show and hope you enjoy your time in the garden, sorting the cottage out and "playing". See you on Crow Day

Julie said...

No wonder you need a blogging break! Mind you, blogging does take up so much time, it's probably a good idea to make a conscious decision to cut back. Enjoy your break and the St Ives summer and don't work too hard! See you soon hopefully.

Tracy said...

Rumour has it that you are going to have a good summer, so I'd be making the most of it too :) In contrast, we are in the depths of winter with rain, rain and more rain.
Enjoy the textured surfaces workshop, look forward to seeing your samples and all the other things you have planned when you come back :)

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

What a lovely poem from Jo, good luck with all of your creative projects. Keep in touch. BFN.

Lesley

Gez said...

Tis a beautiful poem Carolyn. Best wishes for all your plans. Take care. Gez.xx

Joei Rhode Island said...

Wow...I got overwhelmed just reading all that stuff! =-)
Have a wonderful Summer Vacation...but I'll be following on your other blog.

Doreen G said...

Gee when I read what you have done I felt like I was watching one of those English renovation TV shows that we see in Oz on pay TV.Take care of yourself and don't forget to smell the flowers.
I'll miss you and look forward to your return.

Carol said...

I am exhausted just reading all you have done, enjoy your break, hope the weather plays nicely

Lalhezar said...

I really enjoy reading your blog and your life in St Ives. Have a good break and look forward to your return. Suzanne

meplusmolly said...

Wow! what an enormous amount of work you've been undertaking with your cottage.
And all the textile work you have going on too, no wonder you're taking a break. Don't blame you for wanting to play and get outside in the sunshine, smell the summer air and enjoy! ;0 x

daisy said...

My, what a lot to do!

I luv the poem. I will miss reading your fabulous posts. Take lots of wonderful photographs & enjoy your creative time ...


daisy xx

Pom Pom said...

Good idea . . . follow your heart.

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

You're very welcome for the award, it is much deserved. I understand the need to regroup and rejeuvenate, too, but what will I do without my daily dose of color? :)

We'll all be waiting for your return! Take care,

Lynda

Jackie said...

I understand exactly how you feel but I relish my blogger buddies so much that I couldn't do without them/you.
Have a lovely break and enjoy what you do.
x

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thank you all for your lovely lovely comments!

Yes, I do relish and love all my blog buddies, and I will miss blogging, but I won't be away any longer than I need to be. I'll be back before you know it ...

missy k said...

Hi!

I am really going to miss you, but understand completely!

Take care, have fun and good luck with your stuffies and all of your other projects........

My little bird is hanging up in my craft room window looking out for your return !!!

Love Karenx

Fibrefrolics said...

Sounds like you are going to be busy! Nice to spend time out of doors while the weather is nice though.Hope all goes well with your cottage. Will really miss reading your blog and look forward to your return.
Have a great Summer,
Penny

jackie said...

Sounds as if you are going to be v. busy without keeping up with the blog. Good luck with your endeavours.

liZZie said...

I'm finding what you're doing inspiring. Embarking on something similar so I will call back. Lovely blog.

Hopscotch said...

I now I'm not one of your long standing followers, but I'll miss reading your blogs and admiring your fantastic work! Anyway, here's wishing you sunny days!!

MargaretR said...

And I thought I was busy :))
You will be missed, but I can understand why you're taking a short time off.
There's a lot to say for old cottages when they can be modernised without being spoilt as you are doing.

Ellen said...

take the time to enjoy the simple things in life... and it's so true.
I totally understand whats going on, dare I mention we've just started insulation our cottage- bedlam.

what a lovely inglenook, thats sacrilege to hide that.
enjoy your me time , recharge the batteries and before you/we know it you'll be back.

Menopausal musing said...

Just go............ that poem said it all.... you need to go...

Ruth said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Have a nice break.

Kayla coo said...

Have a nice break Carolyn.x

Hens Teeth said...

Phew!!!!
Don't be too long away.

Crafty Green Poet said...

you sound very busy, hope you have a productive break!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

I just know that your cottage is going to be beautiful.
That poem is exactly how I feel. We all need a blog break from time to time.
Have a good one.

silverpebble said...

Good gracious Carolyn, you've got so much going on! Enjoy your break and chill out a little amongst the mayhem if you can x

daisy said...

You picked the perfect week for your break. Hope you are enjoying the sun ...

daisy xx