Saturday, 22 August 2009

Red, white and blue















Where did the last two weeks go? They just whizzed by in a blur of red white and blue ...














Over the summer I've been making the most of where I live and visiting many tourist attractions and other beautiful seaside places

I've been on the open top bus twice already this summer, a round trip I would thoroughly recommend for beautiful and diverse Cornish countryside and far reaching seascapes. It's a bus you can hop on and off of all day and visit many places

We did the whole round trip from St. Ives to Penzance via Sennen Cove and Land's End ...

Sennen Cove













... ending the day with dinner in The Dolphin Tavern in Penzance ... a great pub that is far more salubrious than these pictures suggest!




















I'm lucky to be able to walk into St. Ives whenever I like and I also visit Godrevy most weeks as it's one of my most favourite places for beachcombing














Two weeks ago we had friends down to stay and we took the whole week off and did the holiday thing. We pottered about in St. Ives harbour and pootled in and out of the shops in Fore Street. There are many wonderful art galleries and shops in St. Ives but my most favourite shops are Chocolat in The Digey and The Glass Tree in Fore Street














You have to try this chocolate! If you're not likely to get to St. Ives, Chocolat do have an online shop so you can still buy the wonderful local chocolates and old fashioned sweets from the sweetie jars































The Glass Tree is my most "bestest" shop in St. Ives for gifts and nice country things for the cottage















Sherry gave me permission to take photos of the window display














Sherry had decorated the window to promote the performances of Dad's Army at The Kidz R Us Theatre. You can still see performances of Dad's Army on 25th August and 1st, 8th and 15th September. I can highly recommend it as I saw it a couple of year's ago. The performances were very professional and it was incredibly funny - just like the telly programme!











































































While promoting performances, I would also like to recommend the St. Ives Community Play - "Romeo and Juliet" which is being performed "en plein air" (in the open air/outdoors) on The Island in August and September. There is a performance tonight on The Island and Sunday 23rd August in The Plen at St. Just, Cornwall. Further performances will be held on The Island, St. Ives on 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th of September. Performances go ahead no matter what the weather is doing! On Thursday night poor Juliet was in her underwear when the heavens opened ..... !

We visited The Lizard with friends. I always love it there. The countryside is so different to Penwith and at The Lizard I love to see these plants growing on the cliffs. I don't know what they are called but they look just like jelly beans!




















































Red white and blue boats in the tiny harbour at The Lizard

























Peeling paint and stripes































More boats in Porthleven harbour















Watching the waves














The photos in the last post were taken at Porthleven and I made the pebble heart on the beach at Godrevy

This week I've been on the open top bus again. It's such a lot of fun when you meet another open top bus coming the other way down a narrow Cornish lane fit for single file (but not for the drivers, I imagine!)

I went as far as Geevor Tin Mine and met a good friend for lunch and we visited the Art & Craft Exhibition at Cape Cornwall School. I bought a few cards there. I got this one by Stevie Hawtin

Rocking Body

















and I got these by Anne Phelps

Over Mounts Bay

















Jets over Hayle

















You can perhaps see why I was attracted to these prints - the umbel seed head patterns, the pebbles and the colours

The next couple of weeks are still busy with distractions and nice things. I have more visitors at the end of the month. We shall use the open top bus again to visit the working tin mine at Geevor and I hope to visit the Exhibition of Professional Landscape Photograpy by Simon Fidler at Morvah Schoolhouse at the end of the month

Meanwhile, my work room is being used for something else at the moment, so I can't work properly. I'm working in sketchbooks instead, which I love to do, so I'm happy!

Sorry, I promised not to mention the "R" word (ok - I'm whispering it ... "renovations") but progress continues to be made on the home front. Hubby is laying a new bathroom floor and we've been to pick the tiles. Tiling has started ... woooo hoooo ... maybe when it's all finished I'll give you a tour of the whole cottage ...

Now, I'm going to spend some time visiting all my favourite blogs, so I can see what you've all been up to in the last couple of weeks ... see you later ...

27 comments:

Diane said...

Hi Carolyn, Thanks for taking me around my favorite haunt. One of my friends is there this week so she will be texting me no doubt to let me know at which establishments she is sipping a nice cool glass of White wine!! As to age, I will be 50 in a matter of mere weeks!!!I still can't believe it! Some of my friends were metal heads - as is hubby, but I was totally into pop music. I loved Wham and still think I could turn George Michael back!! xxx

Doreen G said...

Great photos Caroline --when we were on holidays recently I went around the Kings Park gardens in Perth (Oz)on an open topped bus--the only way to see special things I reckon.

Clevelandgirlie said...

She's back she's back!!! And all decked out in red, white and blue. What a colorful journey you took me on - you and your open top bus. I can just see you sitting up there gazing at the clouds your sunglasses on and a big floppy hat?? No?
Enjoy your weekend friend.
PS love what Diane said (laughed actually) about tburning George Michael back. I too loved GM back in his MTV days when he was solo with the 5 oclock shadow and black leather, but I saw him recently on tv - she may want to "rethink" that prospect!

Pom Pom said...

Hi my sweet friend! What a delicious post! Before I forget, I'm teaching Romeo and Juliet right away and I wish I could come to St. Ives and watch it there! Did you go? If so, would you tell me all about it?
I love your sketchbook. I want all my students to have a writing journal/sketchbook that becomes their artist's palette. I love the idea of you riding on the open-topped bus, looking around at the incredible and inspiring beauty! HOW AWESOME! And chocolate, too? YOU have it all here in this beautiful post! Woooo hoooooo for Carolyn! xopp

A bird in the hand said...

It's obvious that you've made the most of the last two weeks. I enjoyed the tour! It (and Dad's Army) reminded me of my English aunt: she was sent to Cornwall for the duration of the war along with other children from the London area where she was from. I know there's an expression for it, But I forget what it is.

xxoxo C.

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

Hello!
I'm just off to cook our dinner so musn't stop now to read all this - and I think it will make me tearful - as did a video of Cornwall I watched last week - I so want to visit!!!!
But I'll be back!
Thanks for visiting my daisies - there have been daisy mosaics before I'm sure but yes, there will be another soon! LOL, Connie, x
PS - love the new look blog!

Hens Teeth said...

C,
you certainly know how to put a lovely post together!
I went in the Glass Tree at the beginning of the month, so lovely, sigh.
Your photos of boats and peeling paint just makes me want to be in Cornwall so much it hurts! (Hope all is well with you and yours)x

Jackie said...

I enjoyed that post enormously. A glimpse of warm fine weather activities(not to mention Juliets wet t shirt!)and the open top bus is another thing to add to my list for when and if we ever get to Cornwall again. We usually just whizz through on our way to Scilly but haven't been anywhere near for quite a few years.

Julie said...

Lovely post Carolyn, I really enjoyed all the photos too and especially the chocolate. Not long till our St Ives fix! Looks like the outdoor theatre will have finished by then :-(

silverpebble said...

What a lovely holiday round-up. Those succulent plants are rather beautiful but oh how I love those prints - for the same reasone you do. They're gorgeous.

Gunnels blog said...

Lovely pictures and post Carolyn! Thank you for comment on my blog. I have and had so much family events, birtdays etc. And I have helped a friend with her exhibition so I haven´t had time or energy for my creating, and as you says; enjoy the summer. So soon I will be creating.........!!!

daisy said...

Another wonderful post, beautifully written, full of interesting & stimulating photographs.

Always a pleasure to visit ...

Jane said...

You have been busy getting out and about!
Beach combing.....ah one of my fave past times.
You do indeed live in a beautiful part of the world.
Dads Army? It always makes you laugh, no matter how many times you've seen it!
Just think a whole generation have yet to discover it..lucky them.
Thanks for bringing in a little sunshine ad sea air :)

Moogsmum said...

Well, that's it then - you've convinced me....we're definately going to holiday much further down in Cornwall next summer. After 7 years in Bude with the in-laws I figure I've deserved it!!

Gorgeous photos :)

xxx

MargaretR said...

Your lovely photos have made me want to visit St. Ives soon! You also reminded me of my 2 1/2 yr old GS the other day getting so excited about an open top double decker bus and saying he'd seen a bus without a lid on!

Joei Rhode Island said...

Sounds like a perfectly wonderful summer.....enjoy. Love the Red White and Blue Photos.

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

I love the way you see things, Carolyn! You will never wonder where your muse went when everything you see is a constant source of inspiration. :)

I would like to ask where you purchased the prints by Anne Phelps? I would love to have one or two myself.

Thanks,
Lynda

Fenland Textile Studio said...

Hi
I fell in love with Cornwall years ago and for many years stayed in Mousehole. I haven't been that far down in ten years so your photos were a fantastic way of seeing what I've missed. Maybe next year....Angela

Ruth said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog. The machine embroidered piece you asked about was made with cut back applique and many layers of machine embroidered stitch. It's not very big but took ages to stitch. Looks like you've been having a good time - isn't it fun to be a tourist in your own area sometimes? I hope to visit your area sometime in my life - it's on my list of places to see.

Val said...

Wow! What a fabulous post Carolyn! Your pix are just full of inspiration and I just love the beachcombings and the 'jelly beans' are to die for!! Have made a note of your favourite beachcombing place - see you there!!

Judy Scott said...

what an amazing journey around such a beautiful place, I adore the boat photos ~ and the Glass Tree would be my bestest shop too :) Love the prints you bought and your new look blog is fab ~ big hug to you ~ Judy xxx
ps cant wait for the trip around the cottge ~ tell hubby to get a move on :)

westcountrybuddha said...

You certainly live in a lovely part of the world - I did enjoy reading your post! Thank you also for your comment on my blog...you'd be welcome any time. The blog is just a sharing of ideas and you are welcome to tune in if you wish without necessarily posting (send an email address to me if you change your mind)

Chatters said...

Hi Carolyn

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

I really enjoyed reading your posts. St Ives sounds and looks so beautiful. Sounds like you are having a lovely time and that lovely chocolate shop wow. Lovely post
Amanda

Joei Rhode Island said...

Carolyn
Thanks for such a nice comment. Yes, I've made lots of seamless bags. The initial ones did have lumpy seams. I've learned to turn/overlap the edge fleece only every other layer and full with the seam not at the edge but in the middle. LOL Does that make sense?
I could put some pictures on my blog re: this. Or email me direct
Joei ejaglady@cox.net

JP said...

fabulous photos - just reminded me why we need to come to Cornwall again as it is such an age since we've been - I must admit the journey does put me off as it is such a long way - but worth it

libbyquilter said...

wow Carlolyn~!~a little bit of everything in this wonderful post~!~sounds and looks like you've been busy and enjoying life. thanks for sharing some of your beautiful location and it's offerings.
the jelly bean plant looks very much like a house plant that i have called donkey's tail . . . it is within the succulant family and i actually got my start from my great grandmother's garden quite a few years ago. what a wonder to see it growing right there on the coast~!~outside~!!~and in the fresh sea air~!!!~ i'm definately living in the wrong place~!!~
glad that you are able to continue with the creativity via your sketchbook and can only imagine that you will have many beautiful projects pouring forth in the near future as you go back and gather the "creative seeds" that you've been planting there~!~can hardly wait to see some of the beautiful results~!!~

:)
libbyQ

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

Lovely photos! You obviously had a great time - thanks for the tour!