Saturday, 8 August 2009

Reflections

This summer has been full of distractions for me














... the need for some personal space, to get away from the computer, to spend time walking through the woodlands, touching the leaves, collecting plants for dyestuffs and poking about in the hedgerows in the country lane outside my home ...

... the need to spend an hour or so at the beach, collecting treasures, paddling in the cold sea water, smelling the seaweed, feeling the sea breeze, watching the waves and reflecting ...













... then the necessary next phase of cottage renovations, the unwelcome mess, the constant cleaning up but knowing how nice it will all look one day ...

... most recently a visit from friends and enjoying visiting other seaside places nearby and eating out ...

... and August brings more visits to and from family to look forward to ...


















So, I am all out of routine but in a NICE way!

I realise I have to just "go with things" for a while. No point in beating myself up because this hasn't been a "makey stitchy" blog recently. I have to be patient. I am brimming with ideas and projects I am itching to work on but it will all have to wait till September ... so I'm letting myself off the hook ... being kind to myself ... and my blogs will continue to be about summer distractions and the things that are happening around me ... for just a little while longer


















Have a good weekend ♥

24 comments:

Clevelandgirlie said...

YOU inspire me.
XO

silverpebble said...

Your blog posts are a wonderful read whether they have makey stitchey things in or not. I love poking about in hedgerows too.

Pom Pom said...

HI Carolyn,
I love reading about the distractions! xo

Françoise said...

Lovely seaside pictures.
I've not been particularly productive this summer either, but now it's like this every summer for me.

Gina said...

It's just as enjoyable reading about other aspects of your life too. Your sea side pictures are inspirational.

Pom Pom said...

Carolyn,
I will ALWAYS read both your blogs because I love them and your art makes me happy! I also gain a great deal of encouragement from your comments on my blog. Your words are so warm and true, honest and deep. I read so much love and care between the words, too. YOU are a gem - one of the real people.
I adore your new header!

Julie said...

Beautiful wave photographs! I can't wait to come spend some time on your beautiful beaches! You deserve some time out to recharge your batteries. Enjoy! :-)

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

A lovely new header (you set me off looking for a new one!), great photos, and I love reading of your distractions - do read my comment on the cast iron bath and consider going into the publishing world, (I know you have enough distractions as it is but you could cope!)
Connie, xx

Julia said...

I struggle with the 'so much to do ...so little time' too, but the walks by the sea and poking about in hedgerows are so important to keeping happy and fulfilled...enjoy!

Tracy said...

Beautiful pics Carolyn, it would be a crime to live in such a lovely place and not take the time to enjoy it :) and of course I ALWAYS love to see pictures of home

Maia said...

Hello!
I love your pictures!!!

Gunnels blog said...

Yes I agree so with you !!! I think I ´ll wait to septembet too :-)

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

I love your photo's, I hope to get back to Cornwall next summer for a holiday. Looking at your pics, brings back happy memories of time spent down there.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Summer distractions are probably very important - winter will be here soon enough! Love the surf photos. BFN.
Lesley

libbyquilter said...

i think it would be a shame to live by the sea and not do some wandering/discovering~!!~
summer has worked it's magical distractions over me as well and i've also been a bit slow getting to any of my projects . . . i think that Lesley is right when she mentions winter coming (all too soon) and shutting us indoors to "art" our little hearts out~!~ lets all enjoy the fresh warm air while we still can~!!!~

:)
libbyQ

libbyquilter said...

oh~!~ i forgot to mention the lovely stone heart in the sand~!!~ such a sweet simple reminder of all that is good~!!~

:)
libbyQ

Guzzisue said...

sounds good, enjoy :-)

Julia Guthrie said...

Hi Carolyn, just wanted to say hello...I found you while browsing for a fine art printers in Cornwall & am a bit of a 'link' follower..somehow ended up here! haha!
Anyway, love your blog, off to read some more...

Julia x

Cathy said...

Hi Carolyn. Absolutely loved the story of the bath. I was wondering how it would end and it ended perfectly. The final step would have been to take a window out and lower it out that way, but your way was much better and less messy. Congrats.

It is great fun to read your blog whether you are in a stichey makey phase or a rootling in hedges mode. When you go back to making things you will be refreshed from your break.

Fenland Textile Studio said...

Hi Carolyn,
Thank you for your kind words,just the push I need to get going again. I have just had a week in Devon and am feeling refreshed. I have really enjoyed catching up with your blog.

Diane said...

Lovely post - I love your new banner - I wonder if I'm on it!! I love distractions - often better than real life.xxx

jackie said...

What lovely distractions to have.

mimilove forever said...

I am so totally envious of where you live! Gorgeous pix x;0)

westcountrybuddha said...

Hi...me again! Just to say could you let me have your email address. I can then send an invitation. Let me know if there's any problems logging on. x