Saturday, 26 September 2009

Cornwall

Hello followers - nice to SEE you ...

A few weeks ago now, when my sister came to stay, we went out and about locally in Cornwall and I haven't had a moment to show you

Fortunately for me, and in the nick of time, the photos of the rock colours tie in nicely with "A Year of Colour" which I have neglected recently. The colours for September are orange/copper and there is a lot of Orange and Copper going on over here at the moment

















We went on the open top bus to Geevor Tin Mine, not far from Pendeen, and walked from there along a blackberry lined coast path to the ruins of Levant Steam Engine House






















I found the architecture of the window arches, chimneys and engine houses of the mines very interesting

Also of great interest to me were the large rocks scattered around the landscape, some of which had many amazing textures and colours (copper/orange)































































A few days later we were on Godrevy beach for a spot of beachcombing on my part and photography on my sister's part. She has a very good artistic eye for composition and colour and she takes some breathtakingly beautiful photographs



















These are two of her photographs taken on the beach at Godrevy that day

The weather was very heavy and moody. Half an hour later it poured with large chunky hailstones in August!

















If you would like to see more of her photos you can click on the picture and it will take you to her photostream on flickr

It was unusual to find so much driftwood washed up in the rock pools that day














These were some of my finds - pretty pieces of shimmery slate, driftwood, mussel shells, a crab shell and limpets with holes for sewing
















I love the colours and textures in the slate


















































Mussels are so special - especially the various shades of denim blue














I like to use mussels on cards

This is a card I bought called "Seven Mussels" from a painting by Derek Jenkins. I first came across the work of Derek Jenkins about ten years ago. I especially love his paintings of pebbles and I have many of his cards
















and this is me - enjoying playing in the sand at an early age - with my beautiful Mum keeping her eye on me. I was a content child - a little spade and a matchbox and I was happy :o)






















I'm sorry to post and run but I promise to pop over and visit YOUR blog tomorrow! xx

Wishing you sunshine and happiness :o)

Bedtime reading: Areas of Outstanding National Beauty in West Penwith Cornwall

31 comments:

Pom Pom said...

What a lovely beach-y post! I love the limpets, too. Great idea to sew them on things. Hmmmmm. Next time I go to Washington State, I'll gather some!
What a cute photo of flowery little YOU and your mum. Digging in sand is still a pleasure for me!
lovely lovely lovely lovely - as always!

Clevelandgirlie said...

Such a beautiful girl and woman you were and are - inside and out. Love love love that picture of you and your Momma. Heartwarming.
What great photographs you and your sister took. Looks like a "picture" perfect day. Lots of inspiration there.

bad penny said...

stunning natural coloures - absolutley beautiful.

Diane said...

What gorgeous photographs and stunning colours. I'm still that content when on a beach!!

Carol said...

What beautiful texture on the rocks, love all your beach finds, they never look that interesting on our beach :)

JP said...

I just love shells - I just can't resist collecting them even though I have got tubs of them - I love the differrent colours you get in mussel shells - your blog has so made me want to revisit St Ives we are looking at cottages for December - will all the galleries still be open?

Babs said...

Wauw, I want to go to cornwall too, it looks so nice. It's been ages since I went on vacation.

Lyn said...

wow what fantastic photos! I love the one of you and your mum on the beach.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Tracy said...

Just stunning photo's, each and every one!!

Catharina Maria said...

What a great post for me who loves all the things around the beach and sea !
love from the Netherlands Rini

ewa-christine said...

So very nice and kreativ work!
I love the way you make the "story" on blogger.
Your work look GREAT and I hope you have fun.............we are lucky (spelling??) hope you understand!

Pat said...

great post. all the photos are wonderful. the post is full of creativity and love!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Lovely post Carolyn, your finds and photos are terrific - and your sister's too, stunning, have really enjoyed looking. BFN. Lesley

missy k said...

Hi Carolyn

I love the photo of you and your mum!

Did you live by the beach as a child too?

Another lovely post - I LOVE visiting your blog - it feels like a paddle by the sea!

Have a good week. Don't forget about your inchies!!!!

Love Karenx

Menopausal musing said...

What a feast for the eyes..... yum!

The White Bench said...

Loved the beach theme, your sister's photos and your fabulous 'finds'!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see how you're going to use them. I used some driftwood I found for flower and shell arrangements over cinnamon bundles... you can see them on my blog.
Hugs,
Monicax.

libbyquilter said...

incredible photos and such gorgeous colors and textures you've shared with us~!!~

:)
libbyQ

Ruth said...

I love those rock photos. I'm always taking photos of the surfaces of rocks, bark, lichen etc.

Gez said...

Hi Carolyn...wow great post. I feel wonderful after visiting you blog..I have missed this feeling. Gorgeous photos..love all your finds. :-)

Sunshine what's that? hehe back to raining & feeling very winter-ish up here!

Wishing you a great week.Gez.xx

Feltbug said...

Hello Carolyn - lovely post - I love the picture of you and your Mum - seaside memories are my favourites of childhood. Which seaside is it? Happy Tuesday :)

Anne B said...

Lovely photos - I too love shells. I shall keep an eye on your blog from now on. Er... I'm not sure about how you become a follower - doesn't it sound a bit creepy?! Regards.....

Aida Costa said...

How did I miss this post?? What gorgeous photos and finds! I wish I had the space to display all kinds of rocks, shells, etc.

Love these photos, thanks for sharing :)

Gunnels blog said...

Carolyn; you are a SO good to take photos! I love your wonderful pictures.Thank you for sharing! The lovely texture with the beautiful colours, oh, Iwould do phototransfer and an Artquilt of it !!!So much fun you and your sister have togehter with the same interesting! Me and my brother just was talking about to do a photowalk together some wekeend, we have both new cameras
and a big thanks for the lovely comment on Swedish!

Ro Bruhn said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog so that I could discover yours. The photos of Cornwall bring back so many wonderful memories of a trip I had back home to the UK a few years ago. I collected some wonderful pieces of broken china, weathered with time, from the beach, that I have used in a mosaic.

Jacky said...

Amazing colours, textures and images of your trip to Cornwall!

Jacky xox

jackie said...

Beautiful photos especially the mussels.

Love Honor Disobey said...

wow! The colours of those coppery stones are amazing...they look almost fabricated don't they? Great driftwood and flotsam score. I got some really good stuff on Marazion beach when I was there.
x

Jo said...

Hi love the picture of you as a litte girl and also all your lovely photos. Hope to catch up with you soon.

westcountrybuddha said...

Fabulous posting with amazing photos...especially fond of the hogweed of course, but also loved the mussels! Its made me miss the sea more than ever.

Wanda said...

Simply beautiful.

eyanharve said...

just superb blog and thanks for sharing.
- St Austell