Saturday, 7 November 2009

Hanging on to Autumn for a bit longer ...

We've had nothing but heavy rain and blusteryness all week bringing down lots of leaves

Appropriately, I found this episode of Roobarb & Custard called "When the Tree Fell to Pieces" on YouTube. Now, because I am very clever ;o) and just learnt how to embed videos into my blog, I'm able to share it with you! Roobarb comes up with an ingenious plan to try to hang on to Autumn for a bit longer by glueing the leaves back on the trees! If you've never seen Roobarb the dog or Custard the cat in action ... I hope you enjoy this little treat and have a chuckle!

When the Tree Fell to Pieces


Autumn into Winter is such a special time that many of us enjoy. It makes me feel like cosying up of an evening with my knitting, a comforting sort of "warms you twice" thing. I've been enjoying knitting loopy fashion scarves with Colinette Point 5 (100% merino wool). I've made 11 so far, here's just a couple ...

Winter Berries
















Christmas
















I've also been busy painting, distressing and decorating a batch of tags for various projects

















More berries ... inspired by elderberries and seed heads ... this is a raw edged calico collage that I made for Viv which I haven't shown here yet

Handmade
Handmade

It has vintage style lace on calico with linen vase, machine and hand stitching. The seed heads are free machine stitched with beaded berries. The leaves are made from torn brown rafia and free machine stitched. I made the tag too which I painted and distressed with ink then added the little flower to match the piece

Julie - do you recognise the red flowers? They are from the piece of red ribbon you gave me and I carefully cut round the flowers ...

















This piece was inspired by elderberries which I found on one of my walks a few weeks ago






















One of the crushed berries inspired some natural dyeing












Dyeing with elderberries





















I was surprised at the colour of the red dye in the pan. I didn't have many berries so the dye was weak but still produced a beautiful shade of berry purple






















I had more wonderful post this week ... I love snail mail the most! This fab parcel came from Gunnel who sent me this beautiful and elegant stitched postcard






















Postcard from Gunnel













This little stitched collage















Detail














Some wonderful red treasures




















Rich reds






















Gunnel knows I love stitching red. Oh yes, there is something so warm and rich about red. Red pleases me all year round. Thank you so much Gunnel, it was a beautiful parcel to receive ♥












Now, I would like to show you this beautiful collaged art card which I got from Melanie Uys. Melanie loves to work with collage and mixed media and has recently started a new blog showing some of her work. Melanie and her husband have The Printmakers Gallery in Tregenna Hill, St. Ives and they kindly sell my bracelets for me, when I get around to making them!
















These really useful and lovely red pretties are from a fab swap I did recently with Connie














Since I got back from my family I've made up the creative textile inspiration packs and the textile art hearts, been writing and also wiring up beads for bracelets ...

Now I'm going to enjoy a nice cup of blackberry and nettle tea while I blog hop and catch up with blog buddies ... see you soon!

Carolyn ♥

49 comments:

Jasmine said...

Your work is so beautiful.

I don't blame you for wanting to hold onto Autumn, the colours are divine, the very fire of creation....

Kickcan and Conkers said...

Beautiful post - colours, artwork and Rhubarb and Custard, takes me back a bit!

Hens Teeth said...

Hi Hun,
Those birds tittering in R & C, are a scream!
Lovely to see my collage, I own that, yah!
Mulled wine strings to mind looking at your colourful post..Mmmmm. x

bad penny said...

beautiful as always

Good old Rhubarb & Custard !

mairedodd said...

everything is so very beautiful! off to watch the video - when you said blustery, i thought of winnie-the-pooh and the blustery day... one of my childhood favorite episodes!

Gunnels blog said...

Lovely post as usual ! Love the collage for Viv! I am glad that my parcel arrived and that you like it! Have a nice saturday!
Gunnel xx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm with Roobarb on this one - give me the glue! Beautiful post, as always.

Diane said...

Very very beautiful - you are so creative. Autumn does seem to be the shortest season - I suppose we hang on to Summer as long as we can, and then before you know it, Slade are wishing us all a merry Christmas in every shop we go in. You hang on to it as long as you can. xxx

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

Red doesn't usually grab me except when I look at your incredible work : )
I love your 'Handmade' piece. Red with those natural off white shades looks just fabulous and the little tags are adorable.
Your berry dying is lovely too.

Chris Gray said...

...another lovely and oh-so-readable post.....


...love the reds too!

x Chris

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Another feast for the eyes, Carolyn.
I love all of the pinks, and reds that you are working with.
Beautiful.

Kate said...

I love reading all the blogs that prove to me the arts are not dead, but growing more every year with such talented people as you. I love the thought of dyeing with elderberries as they are quite prolific here in Indiana. Love your blog.

Pom Pom said...

Roobarb is pretty funny! Thank you for sharing!
Such loveliness lives here. YOU are amazing!

Jacky said...

Those red scarves are delicious...I love the loopy yarns and the colour ways are scrummy!
Beautiful gifts...love all the red tidbits from Gunnel.
The raw edge collage is wonderful, such strong red/cranberry colours and I love those elderberries...love that elderberry dyeing experiment too. A beautiful hue.
What a lovely post!

Jacky xox

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

Wonderful raw edge collage!
Thank you, watched the vid, it made me chuckle, bought back memories of watching this programme with my children.

Julie said...

You are so lucky to own a piece of Gunnel's work, it is exquisite :) I am a big fan!

Yes, I do recognise the little red flowers but you have used them beautifully and I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said :) You have lots of beautiful things in your post today, it's a joy to come and share some time with you dear friend. xx

I'm off to watch Roobarb and Custard :o))

imac said...

Hello My Cornish Pisky,Lol.
Thanks for your visits and kind comments.
I wondered what that music was coming from DW blog, ha now I know.

Great works of Art you showing again my friend.

imac said...

Ah, no I didnt win the shield this week,but lets see who does next wednesday.lol.

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

I've never seen Roobarb before - too cute! I love the laughing birdies. THanks for sharing!

libbyquilter said...

wonderfully scrumptious post Carolyn~!!~

lucky you to have something gunnel made and it's her usual gorgeous work too~!!~

:)
libbyQ

Ruth said...

Such beautiful shades of red!

patstudio said...

a fun and lovely post. and aren't you the lucky one: great packages in the mail to you. everything that gunnel makes is fabulous.

ArtPropelled said...

I've just spent a lovely time this Sunday morning catching up with your blog. So much gorgiosness! Love your calico collage and shades of berry.

jeanamarie said...

what beautiful tags!

our elderberries are just beginning to bloom now - I'm so excited about being able to experiment with them later in the year (if I get to them before the birds do this year!)

xo
Jeana

vintagerockchick said...

Oh thank you so much for that - I've never seen Roobarb and Custard before - I loved it! Plus, your work is pretty special too.
Thanks for a lovely early morning treat!

Penny said...

Ah, Roobarb and Custard! Happy memories of watching it with my children. As good as ever. Thanks for sharing! As always, your post is full of beautiful things and you manage to sum up how I am feeling.Fabulous colours as well.

Andi's English Attic said...

Oh thanks SO much for the R+C clip. Loved it. I also love the collage you made for Viv (saw it over on her page) I think this is particularly beautiful. xx

jackie said...

Its looking really Christmassy over here already.

silverpebble said...

Carolyn I do love visiting here - what gorgeous collages and compilations of ittle finds you make. Your dyeing! Just lovely. I learnt from another blog recently that elderberries make an excellent syrup to fend off flu. I'm determined to make some.

ewa-christine said...

I understand you passion for red!!
It is very nice!
And Gunnels gift was nice as yours!!

Catharina Maria said...

That looks all good !
Lovely reds !
xox Rini

JP said...

Wow - I just love the pink you have achieved with the elderberries - i am going out at first light tomorrow to pick what is left and wil be dyeing instead of the housework - thanks for that Carolyn

Gina said...

Always loved Roobarb and Custard... that really takes me back! Beautiful colour from the elderberries.

The White Bench said...

Oh Carolyn, I so love your reds! That calico collage is so precious, I am in awe of its simple but stunning details!
And you came up with a fabulous shade of pink with those elderberries!
Hugs,
Monicax.
P.S Love Roobarb!! And loved that clip!
I'm off to bearmaking ;)

Dot said...

Your blog posts are always a feast for the eyes Carolyn. Love the scarves you have been knitting (where do you purchase the wool from?)..
Love seeing your dying experiments too.
Would still love to do a swap with you at some stage - but no pressure as to when of course :).
It has got very warm over here all of a sudden - would love to be experiencing your autumn weather.
Love to you and a squshy hug for custard!
Dot xx

Dot said...

P.S Love what Gunnel sent you - she is a sweetheart isn't she? And very generous..

Clevelandgirlie said...

I want to Beautiful, beautiful berry scarf. Love the rich, deep color and texture - delicious.
and your elderberry dye - came out a beautiful ethereal shade. Should go well with your work. Are those silk cocoons??
Nice packages too! I would love to go through the drawers in your studio - such a collection of yumminess!
Your posts for me, are something to be enjoyed slowly - savored. They are my "chocolate."
XO

Lisa said...

Hi, thanks so much for visitng and leaving me a message. Diane's blog is great isn't it?
Oh yes I do remember these cartoons very well!
My husband was at a Saxon gig in London last night, do you like them as well?
I think your work is truly amazingly beautiful.
Have a good week.
Lisa

Itch2stitch.com said...

I love your work, it is exquisite! suzie. xxx

Cathy Cullis said...

Always such a visual treat to visit your blog, Carolyn. My late father was worked on Rhubarb and Custard as a sound engineer (he worked on my many children's shows back then). Thank you for your inspiring pinks, plums and REDS! Cathyx

CJ Stitching and Blooms said...

Hello from Michigan.

It is always lovely to visit your blog and see all your wonderful creations. Love all your Autumn colors and I especially like the weak berry dying day. Great color. Hope all is well in your world. Hugs Judy

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Lovely, lovely post, Carolyn. Really enjoyed 'Roobarb and Custard'. Beautiful tags and collage. Bye for now. Lesley

Ro Bruhn said...

What a sumptuous post, I love all of the colour and your berry collage is adorable.

A bird in the hand said...

One word: Dazzling! I love all the red. Your work is just gorgeous!
xoxo

JaneO said...

Hi Carolyn - thanks for dropping by my blog. Your colours are lovely and as for Roobarb and Custard what can I say? Bliss.

Are you curious about me? said...

What a delightful post, I shall walk through Colchster, Castle Park in an hour or so with open eyes, thank you so much for opening them once again.

Julie

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Thank you for all your wonderful comments. It's so nice to hear from you all

Carolyn ♥

Cathy said...

Everything is so gorgeously red in your post this week Carolyn. The stitched elderberry collage is absolutely gorgeous and that elderberry dye is scrumptious. Off to watch roobarb now.

Guzzisue said...

Hi, you've won a monster who needs directions to his new home :-)