Saturday, 14 November 2009

It's starting to look a bit like Christmas!

Another busy but fun week whizzes by! As is often the way, being under pressure to meet various deadlines I actually achieved much more at the "eleventh hour"












I have been working hard on something secret (which I will tell you about later) and also, a little later than I had hoped due to various circumstances, I finally got my parcels in the post and on the way to their destinations. I really enjoyed putting together the creative packs and making the hearts

This is the one I made for Ger/Gerdiary. Ger likes grey, silver and natural colours so I used various silver and grey metallic fabrics, distressed plastic, found shells, beads, distressed fabrics and used fine silver thread to add some tiny little stitches






































I was inspired by St. Ives, shells and grey and black rocks


















As I was stitching the hearts they reminded me of rock pools. Full of layers, textures, colours, found treasures, bits and pieces, little crevices that need further exploration to reveal hidden secrets. My hearts are a bit like that. I have put little stitches and beads in unexpected places, not just on the surface but in the layers and folds to be discovered. The more you look, the more you see

So I call them "rock pool hearts" and I want to make many more, all different colours, all with different fabrics, threads and found objects - shells, sea glass, pottery, natural objects with stitches, beads, charms, text etc

I've got six more hearts to show you some time

















For just a few minutes I watched a seal playing in the sea, he didn't seem to mind the cold water and the very grey day

















The rain held off so I had a look at some of the shop windows starting to display their Christmas goodies. I like the idea of photographing window displays but then they always turn out a bit "busy". Never mind!

A busy display but very interesting
Click on the picture to see it larger


















The window display at The Glass Tree is so beautiful. In the window Sherry has trees sprinkled with snow and decorated with sparkly leaves, birds and bird houses












Inside, the shop is a perfect winter wonderland with more snow covered trees and country dressers full of Christmas goodies






















Santa's fairy helpers were very busy hanging Christmas ornaments

The Glass Tree is one of prettiest places to see Santa and his fairy helpers. I do know that the fairy helpers are busy sewing their new outfits ... fairies always need extra sequins and shiny things on their dresses at Christmas! Last year Santa brought snow!

I worked hard this week so I had a little treat

Christmas issue of Country Living

















Italian soft Nougat with red berries
- just a small slice!


















The colours and patterns in this nougat are so inspiring I could do a whole textile project on it! It was delicious too! It lasted only long enough to be photographed and then it was savoured! What am I like? I got it from The Cornish Candy Shoppe in Fore Street, a very pretty, traditional fudge and sweet shop

Magpie's Mumblings asked me what damson fudge was. Here in Cornwall, particularly in the seaside towns, we are spoilt for gorgeous sweet shops that sell fudge in just about every flavour imaginable. In my Halloween post I said I tried damson fudge. It's fudge flavoured with damsons with tiny pieces of dried plums (and absolutely delicious)

















Julie, I bet you are drooling!

The window display of The Cornish Candy Shoppe already looks festive but the lady tells me she is decorating the window for Christmas this weekend! I think I will be popping back again ...


















Across from The Glass Tree is the Cath Kidston shop. The twinkle lights looked very pretty ...






















... and it looked so cosy and inviting ...






















This brings me to show you a lovely treat I had from my very good friend Karen Missy K

Sew pretty





















Karen had a grand day out with her friend to Selbourne and they popped in a lovely little shop after their lunch. I am really touched that Karen thought to treat me while she was out having fun with her friend. My goodies (which came wrapped in this lovely Cath Kidston tissue) are beautiful and I shall treasure them forever. Thank you sweet one ♥

More contemporary Christmas goodies
Click to view large





















This week I got my "Winter Sparkle Stuffie" back from Cloth Paper Scissors along with a copy of the magazine in which it appears. I didn't know that they would be sending me a copy of the magazine

I've just renewed my subscription to Cloth Paper Scissors but it starts with the next issue (Jan/Feb 2010) so I thought I would end up not having a copy of the magazine with my Stuffie in it. Sharne very kindly came to the rescue! She offered to get me a copy from Craft Arena and it arrived yesterday along with a beautiful little packet of treasures she sent me because I have been poorly this week. I'm on the mend now, but in many ways it was just as well that I was busy and had to work through the pain!

This is the lovely packet Sharne sent me:






















Lots of red and black goodies - ribbons, buttons, a gold heart and some paper flowers which I will use on my distressed tags. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness Sharne ♥

I've updated Stitched Stuffies with lots of photos and information for anyone who is interested

Detail from my Winter Sparkle Stuffie





















I've also blogged here: Mixed Media Textile Art

Well that's me up to date for this week!

I will be round to visit all my favourite blogs, flickr and emails during the week when I will have a little more time to enjoy each one. I hope you have a great weekend!

Carolyn ♥

28 comments:

Deborah said...

many lovely things!

Heloise said...

A veritable feast of delightful displays. I hope you are feeling better.

Andi's English Attic said...

There's a CK shop in St. Ives? I must have last been in St. Ives about five years ago, was it there then? And the fudge. Oh, the fudge! Thanks for the memories. xx

Gina said...

So many beautiful things to see but I love your rock pool heart best of all... the nougat comes a close second!

Kickcan and Conkers said...

wow! what a post! So much to see, admire and take in. I love to see St Ives, its beautiful there. You have some great shops as well. Your photos and artwork are as inspiring as ever :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Thank you for giving me more info on the fudge..sounds yummy! Your pictures are yummy too. As far as I'm concerned that's one of the best things about Christmas - seeing the beautiful window displays and decorations. I don't buy very many any more because we're trying to downsize but it doesn't stop me from admiring them! Thanks for the prettiness!

Diane said...

Youve left me exhausted!!! I love Fore Street in St Ives, and always volunteer to fetch the pasties of a luch time just so I can browse. I have to admit that I struggle a bit with CK in StIves - I feel she has no place on Fore Street as she is infact a "chain". I could make it my lifes work to watch the seals that swim around St Ives. Every years batch of photo's has at least 1 picture of them. But the best year was when about 15 Dolphins kept springing up - a truly awesome sight. Lovely lovely post - as usual. xxxx

Susan - said...

What a wonderful place! Your photos are so much fun to look at - and your art is just beautiful! Thanks for giving me a fun tour of St. Ives while I site her on the other side of the globe.

Julie said...

I am indeed drooling at the gorgeous nougat! My hubby photographed it too when we were on hols. I absolutely love fudge in its many guises and I like nougat too but unfortunately I am no longer allowed to eat it :o( I'm so sorry you've been poorly this week. Hurry up and get well really soon (and don't get blown away tonight). xx

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Yet another lovely post Carolyn - Ger is going to be so pleased with her 'heart'. What lovely gifts have come to you. Have enjoyed the shop window pics too and always enjoy looking when I pass. Bye for now. Lesley x

Jacky said...

I'm doing the rounds today...visiting all of your blogs and loving them all!
Your stitched heart for Ger is delightful and sure to be loved.

Jacky xox

Kayla coo said...

I'm feeling more festive after visiting your blog today.
Love the displays.x

Pom Pom said...

"rock pool hearts" sounds so good and true. Thank you for the peek in a CK store! I want to go shopping! Beautiful post, Carolyn!

Lynn said...

Such a lot of beauty here. I have treated myself to goodies today too to eat and enjoy. sometimes one just must do that to taste the full sweetness of life. I hope you are no longer feeling poorly then. Thanks for sharing all the beauty here.

bad penny said...

Wow ! what a treat lots of lovely things to drool over here & not just the food !

I'm soooo hoping we get to Cornwall next year & if so, I will definitely be mooching around St Ives !

Sue said...

What a lovely post, love the shop windows. It certainly gets you in the spirit. I am also a fan of soft nougat. Also just letting you know what a lovely blog, so inspirational.

whyte said...

You have 2 blogs! And I think you like red! :) Thank you so much for commenting on my blog which led me here this afternoon. So I will follow both of your delightful, full of fun and adventure blogs!

Jess Mendez said...

Hi how are you?

I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

I too have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

Mostly it is a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

Sincerely,
Jesse

Wipso said...

Thanks for dropping in on me. I wasn't feeling very christmasy til I read your blog :-) I just love the way you see something beautiful in everything and anything. You have such talent. A x

ger said...

Wow, how wonderful, thank you...!! I hope the postman/woman hurries up...

Amy said...

You work wonders with color...amazing..I love your collage image's..fabulous work!!! Love the heart pillow's of course.

The White Bench said...

Carolyn,
me again! I had seen this post as soon as you posted, but wasn't able to leave a message then. The hearts you made are just F*A*N*T*A*S*T*I*C, I'm sure the recipients would be truly happy!!;))))
The CK goods are lovely, and the CL magazine inspiring as always even from the cover! I went to buy that issue on Monday, but I only found the November one... so I also treated myself to another favourite of mine, Country Homes & Interiors (Dec issue!). I'm enjoying them both during my annoying 'bed time'!:)
Hugs,
Monicaxo.

ArtSparker said...

I like the silver winter theme very much - makes me think of fairies plotting to steal nights, and of very old stories, and attics. The nougat is lovely to contemplate.

Dot said...

Oh my goodness! This post is packed with so much goodness Carolyn! You live in such a lovely part of the world and I love the art you create from the inspiration you draw from it too.
Yours hearts are gorgeous ; so shimmery and special.
Loved what you wrote 'The more you look, the more you see'. Your art has many dimensions and layers and it is beautiful (like the soul who created it).
That fudge made my mouth water :)
Dot xx

martha brown said...

All of your photos with the shops are so beautiful -- I can't wait until The Country Living issue comes to Canada! (it will be many weeks). I love your work -- I've added your blogs to my google reader so I can come back and see you often :)

ArtPropelled said...

This post made me painfully nostalgic remembering the little shops in Cornwall. My daughter and I stocked up on many different flavours of fudge before leaving to travel up to Yorkshire.(wish we had tried damson). Love your St Ives inspired pieces. Hope you are feeling better, Carolyn.

BT said...

What a fabulous post, the best I've seen in a very long time. Wonderful eye candy (and edible candy too). thank you. xxx

libbyquilter said...

oh my Carolyn~!~ it feels like forever since i've had a chance to visit your blog~!!~ and it's good to be back~!~

i want to thank you once again for the delightful give-away package that you sent. i'm totally amazed by your generousity and feel so lucky to have received one of your rock pool hearts and think that you've named them perfectly~!!!~ i have enjoyed discovering the delightful "secrets" that mine holds and have friends who are totally amazed by it as well~!~

your photos of the seasonal store fronts are beautiful and do prompt a lift in my spirits. i have begun to think more and more about a vacation in Cornwall . . . although i should say "dream" as i can't imagine actually being able to . . . good that i have your wonderful blog to show me the many delights of your part of the world~!!!~ living by the sea would be such a treat and i always love those photos as well. imagine being able to watch the seals (and dolphins~!~) play~!!~

i'm sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well and hope that it has passed and you're better now.

:)
libbyQ