Friday, 29 January 2010

Cornwall and Crows

C is for Cornwall and all things Cornish - coves, cobbles, cottages, Cornish Cream tea, cranberries, colours, artist Catherine Hyde, Cornish choughs and crows

Cornish Cove at Sennen













C is for cobbles



















C is for Cornish cottage










A little inchie I made this week for the letter C in the alphabet inchie challenge. I made it from card which I monoprinted in silver, grey and white with a snippet of hessian for the roof coloured with distress ink and copper glitter

"Across the Cranberry Land"



















C is for Catherine Hyde. Catherine is one of my most favourite artists of all time and as she works locally in Cornwall it's a pleasure to be able to see her paintings on a regular basis. There was an exhibition of her work in The Lighthouse Gallery, Penzance back in November 2009 and there are still a handful of her paintings exhibited there at the moment. I would recommend a visit! I popped in there last Saturday for a "view"

"In the Warm Room"
















Helford Evening - detail










The Black Bird










C is for Cornish Choughs

Chuffin' Chough



















This is a card I bought a couple of years ago of a woodcut print by Tim Wayne. Red billed choughs (Cornish choughs) have black plumage and brightly coloured orange/red legs, feet, and bills. They were once a common bird in Cornwall, but there are now very few breeding pairs of choughs on the Lizard peninsular and Penwith. It's very exciting that, in the last few years, the choughs have returned to breed again. Needless to say, the nests are closely protected by the RSPB to stop the eggs from being stolen. I only found out today that choughs are closely related to the crow family and I love crows, particularly primitive folk art crows

C is for crows ...
















Caw caw caw ... I like the sound of crows cawing. It reminds me of my walk home from school. It's a late afternoon sound ... especially in autumn and winter time ... caw caw







It also reminds me of the childrens' television programme "Jackanory". I've always loved to have stories read to me and one of my most favourites from childhood is the Arabel and Mortimer stories by Joan Aiken. The stories, about a little girl called Arabel and her pet crow called Mortimer, were charming and funny but especially so because they were read by the inimitable, witty and lovable Bernard Cribbins. I think that's the real reason I think of crows with affection

A storytelling



















A storytelling
of black birds crowing about
a murderous tale

1. Bird silhouettes 01 2. Crow 3. A murder of crows 4. A crow in the snow ... 5. Bird found some thread 6. Bruno 7. Stone the crows... 8. Untitled 9. Banner#2 detail, 10. Bird in hand 11. Character development: Raven and the Whale 12. Black crow 13. Little bird brooch

All credit goes to the wonderful and talented artists and photographers whose work is included here. Please click on the links to go to the artists' work


Mosaic Monday
Haikus - Week 4

Cackled like a pair of cartoon crows















Some tags I made using little snippets of silk and ribbon that I hand dyed

Corn for popping















Chance encounter















and below is a whimsical fabric crow collage I started that's still "in progress". I'm having a lot of fun with it. I still need to secure bits down and add lots of hand stitched details but I will show it finished soon















a tribute to one of my favourite bands









C is for Crow Day ... a day where Jo and I have fun "playing" with art/crafts and experimenting with textile techniques. We had our last "Crow Day" a couple of weeks ago and I worked on this

C is for colour ...

Cranberry, Carmine, Crimson and Copper

Playing with colours














C is for cloth ... rather a slow cloth. Inspired by several artists I admire ... Jude Hill, Gerdiary and Rebecca Sower I want to work on a slow cloth in the colours above. While rummaging about in my red stash I discovered this piece I started a while ago. It was inspired by a trip to Thailand. So I'm going to work on this one first and get it finished before I start a new soft slow cloth

















I want it to be "rich" so I've dug out some nice red and gold fabrics and shall start to play with squares and take my time hand sewing them down and adding embellishment and as elephants remind me of my trip to Thailand I would like to incorporate elephants in some way. Hopefully, it will come to me once I start
















These reds are my favourite cranberry red and raspberry red

C is for cranberries ... my favourite all year round! I always have cranberry sauce or redcurrent jelly with my meals, never gravy, can't stand the stuff!









C is for cream tea with home made jam!















It's a bit like "Sesame Street" ... hope you enjoyed the letter "C"

Have a fabulous week!

Carolyn ♥

50 comments:

English Vintage said...

Love cornwall, love crows, great post, Sennen cove god how that takes me back! way way back, life was so easy back then...S x

Itch2stitch.com said...

Cornwall is gorgeous, as is your beautiful post. Where do I start? I love your inchie, your tags are divine, and I love your choice of artist too! suzie. xxx

daisy said...

Phew! I'm exhausted! Such a wealth of colourful creativity, I found myself holding my breath as I read your post :o)

As always, a beautifully composed post. Fab little inchie, wonderful tags, delicious scone, gorgeous photographs, lovely mosaic & oh so much more ...

daisy xx

Gina said...

So many wonderful things to look at Carolyn - I especially love the crows in all their forms... and the scone of course!

bad penny said...

Oh I certianly did enjoy the letter " C " thank you !

I simply love the caw caw caw of the crows on a frosty bright winter's morn in the field behind our house.

I love your tag & inchie and the artist's work is stunning.

Wipso said...

Love the warm colours of your C blog. Beautiful photos.
A x

ger said...

Puuh, this was quite a journey - + a charming + inspiring one... I´m very fond of crows + your tags + the crow collage + the reds + being mentioned... + of that checkered grey fabric you sent me, have you noticed it in the fog piece, again...? - looking forwards to the elephants...!

cardinal arts said...

love, love love this! all the images - your words and your alphabet idea
thank you for introducing me to the other artists that inspire you too!
can't wait for the next installment
__anne
cardinal arts

Amanda said...

Thank you Carolyn. I really enjoyed that! Love, Amanda xxx

Cathy said...

Absolutely love this post Carolyn. I share you love of crows and black birds. You have made me want to do some more black birds myself now..haha. Catherine Hyde is a great favourite of mine too. I think she used to live here in Bucks years ago before she became well known because I saw her pictures in local galleries etc. Love the haiku and the mosaic of the crows too.

silverpebble said...

Goodness your posts are serious feasts for the eyes Carolyn. Gorgeous! Thanks for introducing me to two artists I didn't know but now am excited about. I love those mysterious pomegranates in the ground! Your teeny cottage is a delight xxx

jude said...

slow reds, i look forward.....

Pom Pom said...

I love the C's. My favorite = Carolyn!
I want the cream tea!

dosfishes said...

Beautiful photos, luscious work as always, thanks for sharing Cornwall and the crows, such storytellers they are.

La Dolce Vita said...

I adored your trip through the letter C! love all the crows... they are amazing birds and we have a lot of them here! Caterina

Chris Gray said...

..charming....


...colourful....


.....x Chris

Andi's English Attic said...

I miss Cornwall even more now. And I seriously need a cream tea. xx

Clevelandgirlie said...

If only it were possible.....

you would see a great big BITE
out of that delicious looking biscuit - and you would know it was ME!
XO
So special you are - so special your view of the world. Love them all - the birdies - the tages - the red bits - and YOU!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

As always...lovely (especially ending with such a yummy looking treat...now I'm hungry!). Thank you!

fibrefrolics said...

Stunning post as always! Don't know how you do it, but you always write about things I love and treasure. Love your inchie and tags. Beautiful photos too. Can't wait for the rest of the alphabet. You should do a book!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

I did indeed enjoy the letter C.
What a cute little inchie.
I love cobblestone streets.
That scone is making me hungry.

Jasmine said...

I have really enjoyed this post. Crows and textiles, a wonderful combination. I love the pomegranite art. Amazing.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Yes, I've enjoyed this post very much Carolyn, thanks. Love all of the crows and Catherine Hyde's lovely artwork too. There's plenty to keep you busy! Have to admit that I've never heard of the Black Crowes? Bye for now, Lesley

Julie said...

I like your murderous haiku about crows :o) The tags are gorgeous! Beautiful post.

Dotti said...

I have been following the chatter about slow cloth with great interest. Question: is it a cloth by itself or does it include a back and wadding like a quilt sandwich?....or both???

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

I have enjoyed 'c'. Such lovely creative work and phots. Can't wait until I come back to Cornwall in the Summer.

A bird in the hand said...

Love it all. I remember Jackanory from the brief time I spent in England.


Love,

C for Colette

:-))))

Amelia said...

wow - really inspiring . . .

Amelia.x

Jan said...

Ahhh, cranberry red, my favorite color. Maybe a cranberry red crow would be fun....Wonderful post, thanks.
C U.

Jacky said...

I am so envious of those beautiful cranberry silks from Thailand...so delicious!!!! It certainly will be a very rich piece...I cant wait to see more of it.
Love the blackbirds/crows. They have always been one of my favourite birds, such strong looking birds and such a shine to their feathers (and a glint in their eyes).
The art work of Catherine Hyde is wonderful (especially for one like me who loves pomegranates and birds). Thanks for sharing her with us.
Another feast of a post...love visiting to see what you are up to.

Jacky xox

martha brown said...

Im loving all of your crow work -- and Cornwall too...

ArtPropelled said...

Ooooo I've been into the round house at Sennen Cove. Is it still a little gallery? Love this post, especially your beautiful crow tags.

libbyquilter said...

C is for Crafty Carolyn~!!~

i love visiting your blog and never feel like i've soaked up all of it before i have to move along . . .

you know i love crows and your tags are awesome~!~ love the inchie too~!!~

okay, it' all awesome~!!!!!!!!~


:)
libbyQ

p.s. am quite curious about this term "slow cloth" and the piece that you are putting together is gorgeous~!~
i think you mentioned "slow cloth" when commenting about my newest carrot quilt on my blog . . . is it a term that means hand stitched?

JP said...

love this post - reading your blog has made me long to revisit Cornwall - so have booked a holiday staying in St Ives on the last week in April - maybe we can meet for a coffee?! - this post is just wonderful

Twiglet said...

A delicious post!

Lyn said...

Carolyn, I seem to have missed your last few posts, I love this one! The crows are great.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Kerrie said...

Oh to be back in Cornwall - if I had to live somewhere else in this world that's where I'd choose. Lovely post Carolyn - but not sure if I can share your sentiments about the sound of crows - here in Australia it reminds me of stinking hot days and they drive me crazy some days! but I do love their shape and images in art works.

Menopausal musing said...

Crikey Carolyn, that was a "corker"... :O)

Lovely visual feast as always. Loved the artwork with the pomegranites, and of course, your work too.

Julia said...

Carolyn, what a completely inspiring post - it was like a 3 course meal of delicious photographs and words, and like most good meals you always manage to find a bit of room left at the end for something else!!

I also love the artist Catherine Hyde, her work is so evocative. Your inchie is beautiful, attention to detail is amazing - and the tags of the crows also caught my eye!

Lovely, lovely post
Julia x x x

Seth said...

What an inCredibly Cool post. Endless Creativity here. Love the piece honoring the Black Crowes!!

Melanie Uys said...

Inspiring as always, glad to see you were creating throughout the coldest of Januaries x x Lots of love, Melanie x x

Judy Scott said...

wow what a post, love the temptation at the very end ooooo I could just eat that. I love the tags and the photo collage and I just know that Ill love Cornwall if I every get there, sending love to you and a hug ~ Judy xxx

Val said...

WOW! What a wonderful post Carolyn - so much eye candy. Couldn't take it all in ine one go - had to go back and have another look. It must take you hours to compose - thanks for taking the time - much appreciated!

Heather said...

I've named you as a winner of a 'Kreativ Blogger' award. Please check out my blog for details!
http://woollove-functional-fiberart.blogspot.com/

Annica said...

Hi,
I’ve nominated you as one of my sunshine bloggers so please accept this sunshine blog award for positivity and creativity :)

You can find out more from my blog post: http://fabthreads.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunshine-award.html

Hugs,
Annica

Lori said...

Your blog is so creative and colourful - thank you x
The crows, those paintings...oh a feast of eye candy!
Can't wait for the next post xx

A Time to Dance said...

Hi, just a quick warning , I have had to delete my blog cocoa and blankets, I got a terrible virus which has crashed my computer and left it ruined, I didnt want anyone else to get the virus, so please dont post any chinese comments. I have set up a new blog on
http://helen-lambert.blogspot.com/
please pass this on its very serious if you get it...I had tons of virus protection as well!!!
love H

Robin Olsen said...

Hi Carolyn,

I had to work hard to find where I could leave a comment for you. Congratulations--you won the rust colored heart on my blog "Rough Around the Edges." Please email me with your mailing address and I'll get that off to you. rolsen222@yahoo.com Love your blog--so many wonderful tidbits!

John said...

very nice blog and thanks for sharing.
- St Austell

Anonymous said...

cool