Saturday, 27 February 2010

A few of my favourite things!

F is for falling behind, but not giving in, so here I am belatedly posting the letter "F"






















F is for flimsy fusible film ... a freebie from Ario which arrived this week. I had fun playing with the film, stitching, painting, heating it in various combinations. I've used Stewart Gill fusible film before so I knew it's properties. The piece I was sent has beautiful irridescent colours of white, pearl pink, pale yellow and blue/green tones

















I cut some leaf shapes and played. I used accrylic paint in rose madder mixed with superfine metallic bronze powder in "Crimson Copper" (my latest favourite thing!)

This is what the film looks like when heated with a heat gun. The texture changes, the colours deepen, bubble shapes appear and the film hardens as it cools. The film is still flexible enough to be stitched through after heating though






















When heated, the irridescent colours in the film are more prominent

















F is for flickr friends and faves. I love flickr so much! I'm constantly amazed and inspired by the beautiful photographs and talented artists on flickr. My mosaic today is made from awesome abstract artwork from my flickr friends and faves!






















1. Mosaic 2. Untitled 3. Ghost Tree No.2 4. P1020330 5. écheveau créé par Dominique M 6. | 7. Tree 8. Something about dreaming in the winter time 9. Sic 90 10. La vallée de l'amour 11. Nature is an artist 12. Pleasing 13. Rusty chain

Can you guess what it is yet?









F is for fruit, juicy and full of flavour. Yes, my photo is of the inside of a flavorking plum, so rich in my favourite red shades and so tasty too!



















F is for bundles of Fun!

My bundles for the "Erosion Bundle Project" are coming along. They are all showing weathering and signs of life and I'm pleased to notice this one has lovely earthy red colouring and patterns






















Mother nature truly is an artist! Look at these lovely patterns! It's so exciting! My bundle is now back outside hanging in the exact same place in the ivy branches. Can't wait till 15th April when I can open the bundles up ... although I'm going to wear several pairs of latex gloves, I think, because I'm not at all keen on crawly things (ugghh!)






















F is for flowers (fleurs) brought back from Egypt pressed between the pages of a book

















F is for fabrics. This is my hand stitched slow cloth piece that I'm slowly working on ... slowly developing ...



















I started this a long time ago but wasn't happy with the way it was going. I'd forgotten all about it when I found it at the bottom of a box as I was rummaging around in my "reds". There were many elements of the original piece I didn't much care for so I took it to Egypt, unpicked the lot, and started again!

This is what it looks like now. I started in the centre by hand stitching on pieces of burgundy silk with long running stitches. I left the edges raw which were black. Then I added black and gold braiding. Next, I stitched down pieces of hand dyed cotton (pinky reds) and then more black and gold braiding

















It's as far as I've got for now but I'm happy with it so far. I like that the piece is inspired by a trip to Thailand many years ago, but stitched in Egypt! The hand stitched pieces of silk remind me of steps up to a Temple, of which I visited many while in Bangkok and Koh Samui

















It's very rich and very red. I know that not everyone likes quite this much red, but I love it!

Here are some more fabrics I brought back with me from Egypt recently






















I made some more mini collaged tags using some snippets of the Egyptian fabrics, postage stamps, coins, beads and buttons. The "ribbons" are recycled plastic netting

"Queen Ti" and "Horemheb"





















I used a snippet of Arabic writing from a coffee creamer sachet and red curling ribbon






















These are the tags I used

















I distressed them with tea dye, gold acrylic paint and Tim Holtz distress ink, photographed on an Arabic newspaper




I noticed
this detail
between
the tags
which I
really liked!












Lovely inspiring patterns from a book I have






















More stamps, coins, patterns and my inchie for the letter F






















My inchy for the inchy alphabet challenge is F for "face" ... the beautiful face of Queen Nefertari, the best known Egyptian Queen after Cleopatra, Nefertiti and Hatshepsut. Nefertari was the wife of Ramesses the Great. I made my inchie using a tiny bit of the fabric from Egypt and cut round an image of Nefertari from a postage stamp

Ramesses built a temple to Queen Nefertari at Abu Simbel. You can see it in the postcard of Abu Simbel in my last blog

Goddess Isis giving an Ankh to Nefertari




















I am really inspired by this image I found of this parchment, the Book of the Dead, and wanted to include it here to remind me later. The patterns, heiroglyphics, colours and fragility of the parchment totally inspire me






















For those of you that want to see even more bits from my Egypt trip I posted some more photos here: Egyptian Inspiration otherwise that's it with Egypt for the time being!

Hope you have a really lovely weekend

Carolyn ♥

40 comments:

fibrefrolics said...

Wow! Too much to take in in one go. Will have to go back and enjoy it all again! Love the fusible film leaf and the way it shimmers. And thd Flickr Faves mosaic as well. You must have gathered lots of ideas in Egypt by the looks of things.

Hens Teeth said...

What can I say C....another feast for the eyes! Inspirational post fused with excitement for your art. x

Joei Rhode Island said...

What a fabulous post! I agree, it's too much to take in all at once. I'll be back to look again and again. I **love** all the red *and* the Egyptian pictures....lots to inspire you. Can't wait to see where you take this.

Diane said...

What fabulous effects you manage to achieve - everything is so stunning. xx

mano said...

what a wonderful post! I love the red fabrics and especially your mini collaged tags and the way how you craft the tags (I hope my english is understandable...). have a nice weekend too!

martha brown said...

Your F words are fabulous! Those tags are wonderful :)

Chris Gray said...

Another veritable feast for the eyes! ...and even more Egyptian fabrics...was your luggage nearly overweight coming back?!

Love the irridescents too...like close-ups of insect wings..

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

You have a great eye and a romantic flair. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

ooo love that fusible film! Watching the magic take place as it's heated would keep me amused for hours!

Lynn said...

My God woman, what a post. I will have to come back and spend hours going over it with a fine tooth comb. Such treasures here.

Oh I want a heat gun.
What precautions do you take when using yours?

F for flame, the leaves looked like flames to me.

Pom Pom said...

HI Carolyn! Wow! Such a lot of miraculous red stuff! Beautiful art! I'm going on over to Egypt now! Smile! Happy weekend!

Doreen G said...

Too much to comment on individually Carolyn so I will just say-Fabulous -Fabulous -Fabulous.

vintagerockchick said...

At the risk of repeating what others have said - it really is a fantastic post - such rich colours and wonderful ideas. Your posts make me want to rush away and start experimenting.
Incidentally, are we still on for our 'heart' swap - and if so when? (I work better to a dealine!) Thanks again for the wonderful inspiration x

Mrs Moen said...

I think F might be my new favourite letter - F for Fabulous post. Thanks!

jane and the happy crow said...

So much to look at! Love your little tags and the egyptian fabrics and lots of the other stuff. The courses are at our home near Truro. If you are interested let me know, I am going to start a blog just about the courses so look out for that. Jane xx

bad penny said...

Carolyn your posts are a treat & your colours so rich. It is a joy to visit.

I don't think my bundles are doing very well !

I used to love helping the children with their Egyptian projects- such wonderfl images.

Beautiful images thank you

yvette said...

FFFFFantastic blog!

yvette

JP said...

WOW - you might have got behind but what a visual treat - I love the slow cloth it is beautiful

bad penny said...

Me again for another peek ! Your tags make a stunning picture !

Carolyn, do you know of any mixed media courses or workshops I could go on ?
I don't have much in the way of materials but would like to build up & experiment more.
I'm in the south of England - I really need to be shown things to learn not very good with internet tutorials
Thanks x

missy k said...

Too many things to comment on! Except to say they are all wonderful, interesting and fun.

I have to single out the inchy (because I 'play' there!)- it is beautiful! My other favourite is the fusible film.... thats just amazing!

Karenx

Twiglet said...

Great blog - I shall have to pop back a few times and enjoy it again and again - thanks.

Deborah said...

So many captivating things to look at! Thanks for the Fabulous post!

Kickcan and Conkers said...

Wow - what a visual feast this is... fabulous! I love your mosiacs, the fabrics from Egypt and the Flickr one too. Your tags are beautiful as well. Always so inspirational here, what a creative soul you are :)

Sheila Roussel said...

The fabircs from Egypt look lovely. The tags are great too.
What inspiration you have returned with!

Alexandra Mason said...

Beautiful post, i am fascinated with Egypt the history and the art! xx

La Dolce Vita said...

your posts are always so visually chewy that I have to keep coming back for inspiration!!! I love your new filmy stuff! look like great fun!

Jensters said...

Wow Wow Wow such stunning work....love every single piece.

Pomona said...

I love what you have done with the film - those beautiful iridescent effects!

Pomona x

Menopausal musing said...

A visual feast! My particular favourites are the pressed flowers, the fabrics from Egypt and the wonderful erosion project piece. Lovely to read how you do some of your effects.

ewa-christine said...

So much fun and beauty!!!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Just love the fusible film Carolyn - and the mosaic of those beautiful Egyptian fabrics. Bye for now, Lesley

Jacky said...

Special fabrics...I love your slow cloth and that stitching on the silk is just wonderful.
So many treasures from your trip...fabrics, stamps etc. Such fun, thanks for sharing them all with us. Like others have said...so much to see. I need to take another look.
Have a Fun week!

Jacky xox

libbyquilter said...

good morning Carolyn~!~

you continue to amaze us all with your talent and sensational eye for colors and details~!!~

i almost feel like i've gone to Egypt myself . . . you certainly brought back some great stuff. the pressed flowers are sweet and i love that you are using the paper and packaging with Egyptian writing within your work and posts~!!~ i've requested that my daughter send me the same sorts of "throw-away" things from Honduras as it's so stimulating to my imagination.

the fusible film leaves are wonderful and i was surprised that you could still stitch through them . . . knowing this certainly picks away at my creative curiousity. i too may have to invest in a heat gun . . .

your slow cloth piece is downright decadent and so full of travel "tales" already~!!~

and your tags~!!~ your Fantasticly Fun tags~!!~ just WOW~!~

all in all i've been totally inspired by your shared images and thoughts from Egypt. such a mysterious and intrigueing culture . . .

:)
libbyQ

Fabric Art said...

Carolyn your F post are amazing, all the differents thing you show, so much to see - fantastic leafs you made of flimsy fusible film, love everything in this post, now I will take a look again, I will not miss anything.

Julia said...

Every time I come to your blog, I find myself sighing...a deep, happy sigh at all the stunning and beautiful things.
The tags are wonderful, the materials you brought back are in such sumptuous colours...I just love this blog so much, its a veritable shot in the arm of inspiring lovliness.

Julia x x x

Judy Scott said...

wow ~ beautiful richness and art, love the developement of your slow cloth too. The mosaic is amazing ~ such a jewel of a post. xxx

freebird said...

Now that is a looong way to post an F inchy! But interesting!

Debrina said...

I agree with the fist comment - too much to take in on the first go, lol! Loved going back and forth to read tho!!

Clare Wassermann said...

I feel fuzzy and warm after reading your blog - it's red and kissable - very engaging x

Cathy said...

Another lovely post Carolyn. I love seeing how your distressed tags are created. The erosin bundles are looking good too and I am with you about the creepy crawlies.