Thursday, 4 March 2010

Gingerbread and ginger

G is for getting there, gradually catching up, gingerbread and ginger tones in this mixed media fabric collage I started a couple of weeks ago and just got round to finishing. This is a bird with a message!

I like the idea that birds recycle fluff and stuff for their nests. I had a childhood book about a little girl with golden hair. Each day after brushing her hair, her granny told her she must collect the golden hairs out of her hairbrush and give them to the wind so that the birds could catch them and line their nests with her soft golden hair. I always think of that when I brush my hair each day ... only the softest lined nests will do for my blackbirds' bottoms!

Recycle bird collage
















I wrapped text and thread around the twig. The blackbird feathers are from my garden

















The dried seed pods are couched on

















G is for gingerbread and my inchy for the letter "G" in the inchy alphabet challenge












G is for a gorgeous ginger inspired mosaic that includes some great gingerbread dolls made by my friend Monique of Blueberry Fields (see bottom middle)






















1. Hello Autumn I have been expecting you 2. Measurement1 3. Oh glorious autumn! 4. The gilded thicket 5. Untitled 6. Chance encounter 7. Golden sun_face 8. Gingerbread dolls 9. Valentine swap with Ann ~ Tinrabbit

Thanks to the wonderful and talented artists and photographers whose work is included here. Please click on the links to go to the artists' work


Ginger and gold ribbon and some twiggy things I picked up on my walk






















Gingerbread ornie made from fabric with a homespun scarf, decorated with spicy cloves and some of those twiggy things I picked up






















Ginger is feeling the cold again! We have a bright and sunny day in St. Ives but it's very chilly ... not Spring yet ... but it's on the way!

















That's all for today ... busy catching up with "H" now ... back soon!

Carolyn ♥

34 comments:

La Dolce Vita said...

oh Carolyn, you have such a lovely way of combining the whimsy with the beautiful. it is always a delight and an inspiration to come to visit your place! ciao, bella!

stregata said...

Love the collage and the ginger mosaic!!

Diane said...

I shave Mr Heartshaped's head and always throw the cuttings out at this time of year for the black bird to line his nest with. I love ginger - fabulous. xx

Andi's English Attic said...

Love the collage. We used to do the same whenever we brushed our sheepdog. The fur was like wool and we left it in the garden for the birds.
Gingerbread men. I think that was a lovely choice for 'G' and the inchie is so sweet. xx

Scented Sweetpeas said...

It is lovely to think of our hair keeping those little birds warm isn't it. We once found a nest with some of out childrens hair in it :-)

vintagerockchick said...

Your pictures and stitches are beautiful as always. I love your blog x

JP said...

Carolyn - you are so inspirational with your colour pieces - each is just so lovely

libbyquilter said...

love the text wrapped stick~!!~
just another example of how you change the everyday into extraordinary art~!~

:)
libbyQ

solange said...

It recycle bird collage is too beautiful!!! I love it.

Jill said...

Love ALL this work - inspiring

Joei Rhode Island said...

Blackbird singing on the edge of the night.....
Love the idea of golden hairs for the nests.....
And ginger is such a wonderful colour.

Lynn said...

It's such fun to come here and give a gander to your gathering of Gees. Loved every one.

patstudio said...

this post is a fun frolic through 'g' and your creativity. always a treat....

Fabric Art said...

Carolyn I love to visit your blog and to follow the alphabet posts, wonderful piece with the bird, and all the things from nature. Have a nice weekend.
Regards from Anni

missy k said...

Hi Carolyn

What a lovely warming post.

As usual I love everything. The fabric collage is so sweet - I love how you wrapped the text around the twig.

I love the gingerbread inchy! He is gorgeous.... good enough to eat!

Also, I lOVE LOVE LOVE the gingerbread man.... he is huggable!

I bet I have forgotten something.... but I love it all! Oh yes the mosaic! These are the colours in my bedroom! Snuggly!

Have a lovely weekend.

Love Karenx

Itch2stitch.com said...

You have captured the G so well, the colours of ginger and your words! Beautiful post again! Suzie xxx

blueberries in the fields said...

dear Carolyn, your collage is so lovely and so is this post. you have a way with words that makes one dream. i loved the story about the little girl andthe golden hair. i collect abandoned nest, i think they are all a piece of art. Now i know when i clean my hair brush, i too will send my golden hair drifting in the wind, hoping some little birds will find some strands to build its nest.
i do hope all is well with you.
sending many hugs,
monique

art spirit said...

The wonderful bird collage warms my heart! Love all your stitching...your blog is an inspiration!

Monica@The White Bench said...

Carolyn,
I missed you too!!
I've a thing for Gingerbreads ;))
Have a lovely weekend,
Monicaxx.

ArtPropelled said...

Aahh ... a lovely place to visit on a Saturday morning while I sip my ginger tea.

Debrina said...

Hi Carolyn - thanks for popping on by and leaving a comment. It's so neat coming over here, you know...I'm just sorry I didn't get here sooner. It's been crazy busy at home - we're trying to get the house ready for its lisiting next week. I've been decluttering, working on the garden and trying to pickup after Jason!

Julia said...

Hello Carolyn

Beautiful post again, Im in love with your gingerbread doll and as for your blackbird textile, its just lovely - I have a soft spot for blackbirds myself!

Now Ive had a good dose of inspiration, Im off for a cup of tea!

Sending love
Julia x x x

Textile Art Showcase said...

I love the bird collage. We have collard doves in our tree at the moment up to a bit of funny stuff!!! I am sure they will be looking for goodies to start build a nest very soon. The silly things always try to build one on our sky disk every year and fail miserably - they just leave a pile of mess for us to clear up.
I love the ginger connection. I love anything ginger!!!

Elizabeth Armstrong said...

Carolyn
I just love this bird collage - hoping you do a whole series of them! I adore ginger especially squishy gingerbread.
Happy creating!
ELizabeth

Menopausal musing said...

Sighing and smiling with delight at the gingerbread man with his scarf...........

Such a delightful post!

karen said...

GGGGreat post!! Especially like your bird. Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it, Karen

Studio Sylvia said...

Wonderful little character. He is gorgeous.

bad penny said...

A warming set of images - I love ginger ! - being a red head. I love the story of throwing the golden hairs to the birds. I like to think the birds collect the golden hairs from my dogs to line their nest.

Sweet inchie - all my gingerbread men are in the Christmas decoration box !

mimilove forever said...

Cooo'eee! Gingerbread...now that's my kind of man...he and the whole gingery theme...magnificent!

(And he just kind of looked like an Alan!)x;0)

bad penny said...

back for a closer look. I love the way you display things on the softest papers with lovely stains & edgings and text - beautiful. You inspire me.
Did you make your ginger bread man ?

Alexandra Mason said...

I love your collage! Hope you have a wonderful week xx

Victoria said...

Lovely and sweet... all of it!

freebird said...

I love this. You've put together a wonderful sensory show. Great inchy too!

Fiona Whitehead said...

Love your G for gingerbread for the inchy challenge blog x