Sunday, 14 March 2010

Inspiration and joy

This is my post for the letters "I" and "J"

Another very busy week whizzes by in a blur ... the promise of Spring brought a renewed interest in getting our renovations and improvements finally completed and the cottage is in a state of upheaval once again. This inevitably means extra mess and cleaning on top of the usual but I'm hopeful that we could be completely finished by May so ...

I is for improvements, inspiring and imaginative artwork, interesting installations, inky figures and an ivy inchy

I is for ivy






















I made a tag for the letter "I" featuring black ivy berries on layers of white tissue paper, jute and "inspire" text printed on vellum












My inchy for the inchy alphabet challenge has black ivy berries on vintage lace and the word "Imagine". I love to be inspired by nature and have quite a few sketchbooks full of stuff on seedheads and berries. I will show more of my seedhead stuff some time

















Sketchbook with ivy berries, seed pods and tonal studies from galleries












The cover of my sketchbook is painted and covered in wax. The seedpod was encased in wax with copper metallic yarn wrapped round

Front cover of waxed seedhead sketchbook





















I is for inspiration

This week brought inspiration from various artists and galleries. I treated myself to an artist book by Cathy Cullis and her latest zine of poems, printed pencil drawings and monoprints. I love Cathy's work which is imaginative and beautiful. I lose myself in her dreamlike words which invariably remind me of elements of my past and my appreciation of nature and fine things

This is the artist book ... a beautiful blend of her very detailed stitched work, monoprint drawings and whimsical touches

Deeper into mystery











Divinely imagine
















I thoroughly enjoyed the zine and Cathy generously gave me one of her original monoprints which she refers to as her inky drawings. I added the text which I found in a book - "inky haired fairy". The figure is not a fairy, of course

I is for inky drawing






















Yesterday, Spring arrived with it's hat on and we had the most wonderful sunshine in St. Ives

St. Ives from a postcard





















My friend came over and we went round the galleries starting with the Porthminster Gallery and then onto the Millennium Gallery to see The House of Fairy Tales exhibition ... where we lost ourselves in a large collection of imaginative surrealistic art ... very strange ... very interesting

I is for interesting surreal art
















I liked
this
piece
called
"Blue Girl"
by
Kiki Smith






... and instantly recognised the work of Tim Shaw whose exhibition I saw last year at The Millennium Gallery ...

Head with Antlers





















Head with Antlers - detail





















I also enjoyed the work of Ken Spooner. Mixed media works in cigar boxes

Ken Spooner - Sisters





















Ken Spooner - When I grow up






















I is for interesting installation!

This next piece I found extremely amusing because it reminded me of the silks and fabrics I had dyed in the week. This interesting "installation" is called "Crumpled Silkskin" by artist Paul Hazelton. It's made from an old silk shirt, cotton thread and hairspray

Crumpled Silkskin














I had to take a photograph of it ... see how it's almost the exact same shade as the silks I dyed (unmordanted) with skimmia berries last week! I deliberately let my silks and fabrics dry crumpled too as I want to use them like that on an art doll. I was amazed at this coincidence!



















We also went round the Tate Gallery too but I will show the photos and stuff from Tate St. Ives on my other blog (probably tomorrow). Tate St. Ives is free to Cornish residents during the whole of March - do take proof of your postcode along with you though!

Today is Mothering Sunday and Mums are a blessing
I love my beautiful Mum






















J is for joyful

My inchy for the letter "J" in the inchy alphabet challenge is of my Mum because her name begins with "J" and she is just so beautiful












I hope you enjoyed your Sunday and have a lovely week

Carolyn ♥

38 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

What a beautiful post!

Heloise said...

Such an interesting post. My Mother's name began with a J too.

ger said...

Inspiring, as always... I´m just (+ justly...) a bit jalous about the exhibitions you have seen... ;)

Cathy Cullis said...

thank you very kindly for showcasing my work in your beautiful post today Carolyn xx I love the other artists you have featured! yes inspiring. best wishes Cathyx

Robin Olsen said...

Gorgeous post! Every bit is a feast.

mano said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mano said...

What a wonderful post - as always! I love your work with ivy, the mixed media art of Cathy Cullis, the boxes of Ken Spooner... It's a great delight to watch your blog!

Gina said...

Such an interesting and inspiring post Carolyn. Your images make me want to work in my sketchbook. And I love Cathy's artist's book... beautiful!

Jensters said...

Ive enjoyed looking and reading your posts this evening and they are amazing. And just have to say i love St Ives too, the only place i love to holiday.

Andi's English Attic said...

Really nice post. Lovely photos. Hope you had a lovely day. xx

Alexandra Mason said...

Beautiful and inspirational, love your post! xx

Kayla coo said...

Wonderful collections of artists work,thank you for sharing.x

ewa-christine said...

HOpe you also are OK, and have time to think and have fun! And I can see that with all your beautiful art!
I have a break (to think) and it was lovley. We have holyday in the North of Sweden!!

Julie said...

A lovely post Carolyn and you've had a wonderful week of exhibitions. Funnily enough my Mum is a 'J' too.

La Dolce Vita said...

just gorgeous work, from all the artists but I love your sketch book cover... yummy!

Jill said...

I for I love your inspiring blog

jenny said...

fantastic, what a post, thanks for inspiring us all xxx

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

An inspiring post, thank you!
Also thank you for telling me about the mention on Lynda's blog. Happy creating!

Pom Pom said...

My mom is a J, too! Your mum is lovely and YOU are lovely. There are so many breathtaking items in this post. Thank you!

A Time to Dance said...

You post is a sheer delight...a feast for the eyes..I loved my visit - it calmed me and filled me with beautiful images...what amazing exhibits...I would love to take them all home...thank you for popping in to see me...I will be back to visit...love H

Kaye Turner said...

Such a lovely post, as always. Thank you so much for coming to see my blog and for your kind words :-) I've only been blogging for 2 months so haven't been around long.

Kickcan and Conkers said...

You have one of the nicest blogs I've seen - it's so inspiring - I love dropping by for the visual feast you provide every time - Thank you!

Chrissie said...

what a fascinating post, and lovely tribute to your mum

bad penny said...

Sigh what a lovely way to start Monday - looking at your beautiful beautiful images xx

Menopausal musing said...

Beautiful, beautiful post. So varied, so lovely. Thank you for introducing me to the work of others....

cardinal arts said...

you certainly have been busy! thank you for the beautiful posts

Cathie said...

J for my mom too. J for Jean.
Your mom has got to be quite something to have raised a daughter with such an eye for all that is wonderful and beautiful in the world.

margaret said...

Superb post Carolyn, full of inspiration and beautiful eye candy.
I had to smile at your reference to Cathy Cullis as I've just posted a link to her myself! I discovered how to free motion sew on my machine and a friend sent me her link as encouragement!
Margaret

missy k said...

Inspiring (again)

Glad Spring has arrived in St Ives!

Sounds like you have been having fun.... good for you:)

I love your inchies, especially the one of your beautiful mum - does she realise she is now famous? I love the cigar boxes and your tag and the waxing on your sketchbook. Too much as normal to comment on!

Karenx

Fiona Whitehead said...

Wonderful posts and inspired inchies - I love the way you've run with the alphabet idea and found so many interesting and wonderful things x

daisy said...

Another wonderfully written posting, full of inspiring imagery & great inchies.

daisy xx

AngelaC said...

What beautiful, gorgeous work.

libbyquilter said...

you always inspire me with your beautiful posts Carolyn and this one is no exception~!~

love your wonderful sketchbook~!~i bet the insides of your sketchbooks are just amazing~!!~

:)
libbyQ

Irish3 said...

Love that picture of your mom in the sweet dress. Beautiful feelings coming through a beautiful inchie!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

All lovely Carolyn - especially your ivy seed head artwork. The ivy seeds are so visually appealing when they darken and start to dry out. Lesley x

Jo said...

Hi Carolyn, thanx so much for visiting my blog. I'm still learning (it's a huge leap for womankind!). Wow, what inspirational 'stuff' you have on yours - and that's just one post! Love the cigar boxes and inky haired fairy. Carry on the good work, love Jo x

freebird said...

Great post. Love your inchy dedicated to your mom.

ArtPropelled said...

Another wonderful post. My heart is racing!