Thursday, 25 March 2010

Things I love Thursday

... and lots of kisses













K is for KISS and an early peek at snippets of my KISS quilt for Dijanne's challenge to make an art quilt 50 cm square. The object of the exercise is KISS - to "Keep It Simple (silly)" and only use two colour fabrics and only long stitch whether by machine or hand. My colours are red and cream and based on leaves so I'm planning to show it next week in my "L for leaves" post




















K is for Klimt, an artist who always inspires me. I bought a couple of fat quarters of this fabric a few years ago because it reminds me of Klimt's patterns and I just can't bring myself to cut it up! It's called "Atlantis Abstract " by Makower. Will I ever do it? Maybe it would make a nice binding for the red leaves quilt? I'm thinking about it ...











K is for kiss - my inchy for the alphabet challenge over at Inchy by Inch











K is for knitting fingerless mitts for Spring because it can still be chilly sometimes




















K is for the briefest kiss - a tag I made with vellum, handmade paper, text and stitch
















the sweetest kisses
are the ones from the heart and
tenderly given

The sweetest kisses



















1. Vintage mother with baby 2. A kiss good night 3. Vintage advertisement - Listerine 1947 4. Kisses-and-sutures

Haiku - week 12

Spring truly arrived with the vernal equinox and on Monday we enjoyed a lovely walk into St. Ives and noticed many Spring flowers budding and blossoming

This is my Spring figure for a seasonal challenge that Chris Gray and I set ourselves to make an art doll/stuffed figure for each of the seasons this year

I chose to make a stuffed calico figure based on a "wolf" dress form using some of the silk pieces I dyed with berries from the Skimmia Japonica shrub I mentioned last week. I left the silk pieces scrunched up for a more luxurious crushed texture. The colour of the silk looks deeper this way. I added pearl shells from the beach at Godrevy, Cornwall and lots of french knots in variegated rayons in pearly pinks into earthy browns. I posted more pictures on Stitched Stuffies
















Things I love Thursday - knitting, kisses, Spring flowers, antique mannequins and vintage dressforms with beautiful accessories

Things I love Thursday



















1. Naked 2. The Dressform 3. Necklace on vintage mannequin 4. Elegant Victorian inspired antique lace choker with rhinestone trim and brooch

Friday tomorrow! I love Fridays! Hope you have a lovely weekend coming up. I shall be finishing off my KISS quilt, eating choccy, blog hopping and making rock pool hearts ;o)

Carolyn ♥

30 comments:

vintagerockchick said...

What a delicate, feminine post! I love the fingerless mitts, they are going to be so pretty.x

JP said...

what agreat post - all soft and definitely kissy kissy!

Heavens2Betsy said...

So much to see here and, all of it beautiful. Deliciously pretty and all of it having the 'I wish I could do that' factor. Your blog is such a delight!

Jacky said...

I am keen to see more of your KISS piece. I love the stitch detail on your leaves.
I swooned when I saw your Klimt fabric...I havent seen that one and must keep an eye out for it. Love, Love Klimt and his designs.
The lacy mittens have a frothy look...like the peak of a wave...always such interesting posts!

Jacky xox

missy k said...

Hi

What a lovely post - as always a treat! Better than chocolate!

That image is so sweet, love how the boy is looking at the camera - so cheekily!

Your quilt is going to be a treasure.

I have two Klimt pictures and I love them.... such beautiful colours - so rich.

Of course, I love love love your inchy.... especially the border round the edge - gorgeous.

(I had to take notes - when I was reading your post:) !

I love fingerless mittens and these look so cosy, soft and snuggly and pretty.

I love it all as normal!

Love Karenx

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt Carolyn and can see why you can't bear to cut the beautiful red cloth! The 'kiss' theme is lovely. Have a great time tomorrow - how can you not, when there's chocolate and blogging involved?! Lesley x

Jill said...

As always, an inspirational post - I love the way your work has such a strong identity.

Morna said...

A lovely post, as is to be expected from you! I want a mannequin/dress form so much!

Connie Rose said...

Lovely, lovely! I wonder...is your life really as idyllic as it appears to be via your blog? I hope you're lucky enough for the answer to be YES! XO

solange said...

That it is pleasant has to read this article. Lovely thème and work.
I like much the new design of your blog.

Itch2stitch.com said...

As ever, I loved your post, loved the beautiful images and your wonderful words! I absolutely love Klimt too! Big K for kisses to you Carolyn. suzie xxx

Diane said...

Lovely lovely lovely Carolyn - as ever. xxxx

Julia said...

I like the look of your KISS quilt, thats going to be amazing!Its all so pretty again today, very gentle and nostalgic I feel...I love it, all of it...as usual :D Your work inspires and delights me everytime!

Sending love
Julia x x x

Jackie said...

Thanks for the inspiration in this lovely post.

Jo said...

Gosh, what a stunning post! So many wonderful, beautiful things. Having popped by to peek at your inchie (gorgeous!), I got sucked into everything else.

Mwoah, darling!
(x!)

Kris Henderson said...

What a lovely and delightful post!
Totally sweet!

Kerrie said...

lovely post Carolyn. I have given you a blog award! see my blog for details!

Mermaid's Purse said...

Very pretty post! I wouldn't want to cut the fabric either!

cornishmist - thats me ju x said...

Hi Carolyn, thanks for stopping by my blog just had to see what you are upto and your images are so inspirational love your work ju x

Chrissie said...

What a lot of gorgeous things to see and inspire - you have been busy Carolyn!

Menopausal musing said...

Just all so beautiful and delicate. I want the fingerless mitts, they are so feminine and gossamer like.............

Fiona Whitehead said...

Beautiful post as ever Carolyn - lovely K inchy too x

Ro Bruhn said...

What a fabulous post, the Klimt fabric is gorgeous and a very nice vintage choker

martha brown said...

of course k is for kisses! I love those fingerless mitts in progress -- so pretty!

Pom Pom said...

Hi sweet friend! I adore the fingerless mitts you are knitting! They are so dainty! You are a wonder. I can't believe all the pretty things you produce. I'm glad to be home. I'm just putting along, trying to get my balance.

Alexandra Mason said...

Gorgeous post! Hope you are having a lovely weekend xx

Andi's English Attic said...

Godrevy is one of my favourite places on earth. I have been there in October in just shorts and tee shirt, in spring when the mist came down, covering the beach, and in summer watching a beautiful sunset before the long drive back home at the end of our holiday. I love it. Just the fact you mentioned it has brought back lovely memories.
I love the 'Klimt' fabric. I can understand your reluctance to cut it.
Lovely post. Lovely kisses! xx

Aino said...

Fabulours work.

ArtGirl/California/United States said...

the klimt looking fabric is really lovely. i know what you mean about not wanting to cut into it. perhaps you'll have to make yourself a small wall=hanging based around that fabric so you can finally use it and it will also be on display for you - accomplishing two purposes!

Dee / Cloth Company said...

it is just great how you set up structures to plunk your bright spirited observations and creations into! makes visiting here a real pleasure.

good luck getting back to it after the house repairs.