Thursday, 27 May 2010

Little things

Thank you so much for visiting me and leaving lovely messages and emails. I'm really grateful for your thoughtfulness and I'm feeling the love. I'm still having tests but I'm feeling a lot better because I'm now getting the care, diagnosis and treatment I need

Well, I haven't done an awful lot the past couple of weeks but I managed to finish off a few little things to help catch up with my alphabet. Here are the letters L M N and O

L is for leaves on a tag with tissue paper and sequins












and having a whim to sew through leaves






















Love ... devotion or attachment to another















These are my inchies for the letters L and M


















Love and Marriage






















M is for mitts that I actually knitted quite a while ago but only got round to sewing up this week ... on the hottest day of the year so far (84 degrees on Monday)

M is for melancholy just because I love making tags






































Make a wish ...






















M is for mosaic. I love to put together collections of inspiring photos and discover the work of new artists in the process

The theme of this mosaic is Notions for the flickr group "Things I love Thursday"






















Things I love Thursday - vintage sewing machines, cotton reels, tape measures, scissors, crocheted lace, bobbins, button tins, heirlooms and stitching with touches of red

1. Singer Sewing Machine Instruction Book 2. Vintage buttons 3. Grandma's button jar 4. We are the poets 5. Some plain spinning. (C365:83) [Mar 24, 08] 6. “Lurking at her heart” 7. 100 yards 8. Vintage lace 9. Tape measure 2 10. Vintage scissor & needle sharpener 11. Twine balls 12. Vintage bag 13. Woodland Bros

Please click on the links above to see more work by these inspiring artists on flickr

N is for notions

















Notion - my inchy for the letter N















Nis for New Hat Old Bird ... a card I bought quite a while ago because it made me smile and because I love blackbirds. The artwork is by Jane Winton of Jane and the Happy Crow






















More birds from Jenny McCabe who has the most delightful blog called Yarn Soup






















This is a postcard Jenny sent me
















o is for owl ... one of Jenny's beautiful little cards


















o is for ...old fashioned and out on a whim






















o is for Ochre and ...






















o is for Outing ... a grand day out with my friend Jo to Truro visiting the Museum and doing a bit of retail therapy. In Truro Museum I was amazed by the display of recycled art by artist David Kemp called The Botallack Hoard

All the installations, figures and God Dollies are made from vintage finds from old mine workings, farm dumps, beaches and boot sales. Fascinating! Here are a few postcards of David Kemp's work that I bought for my sketchbook






















Made from recycled plastic bottles
















I loved this exhibition so much that I'm going back for another view after hospital tomorrow. That will cheer me up :o)






















I'm going to keep busy this weekend. I recently got new cupboards, shelves and a bookcase for my sewing room so I will be taking my time organising my bits and bobs and also going for some little walks in the fresh air and maybe a blog over here too

Happy Oak Apple Day and have a good weekend and make the most of the lovely sunshine we are having :o)

Carolyn ♥

40 comments:

Kaye Turner said...

What a visual treat, as always. Wishing you well and sending good vibes x

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thank you Kaye

Catharina Maria said...

Carolyn , what a beautiful post is this !
♥RINI♥

Twiglet said...

Another lovely blog - hope all goes well for you - rainbow vibes Wipso & Twiglet

Julie said...

It's good to see you blogging again Carolyn. As ever, this is a sumptuous post and very enjoyable. I'm glad the hospital is getting you the treatment you need. ♥xx♥

Gina said...

Sucha beautiful inspirational post Carolyn. I hope all goes well for you at hospital tomorrow. Sending love and best wishes.

Sea said...

Hope all went well at the hospital. Love the gloves, they are beautiful. :)

JP said...

lovely pictures - thinking of you

ger said...

What a lot of feel good images... - best wishes to you...!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Yes, the little things are so important...... What an interesting post. Love your O is for Ochre Carolyn. Glad that you're staying positive and hoping that you will soon 'be back in the pink'. Lesley, x

mano said...

in german I would say: "wunder-, wunder-,wunderschön"!!! I love this post! wishing you the best!

Lorraine said...

beautiful photos as ever..wishing you well

Jane said...

Thinking of you Carolyn, and sending warm wishes x

Jacky said...

Your post is bursting to full with wonderful art...you have been busy and I have so enjoyed taking in all of the lovely alphabet art and other artists goodies that share with us. of course I LOVE that little stitched owl. Lovely to see the gorgeous gifts from friends.
I hope that all goes well with your next hospital visit and that your treatments make you happy and healthy again.

Thinking of you, sending a gentle soft pink hug for you.

Jacky xox

Lynn said...

so much wonderfulness to see here I must come back when I have more time to pour over it slowly. thanks for sharing.

Itch2stitch.com said...

I love your inchies and just about everything you put together makes me smile so wide! You are a delight! I send you my bestest hugs and good wishes! Suzie xxxx

Elizabeth said...

I have always found when I am fretting too much about things that are unkown, a project and submerging myself in it, always helps me thru the dark. I am glad to see that you are able to work on small projects- art therapy is a very good thing!!!! Your tags are a pure delight and I would go back to see the museum exhibit as often as possible- such nourishing food for the creative soul!!

Sending healing and restful restorative peaceful times!!
Big Hugs!

Diane said...

Mammouth post full of gorgeousness and visual lovliness as usuall. Hope you are ok, and looking forward to our blind date on Tuesday!!! I am struggling to contain MY EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will recognise me as I will be wearing a red heart shaped brooch - How will I know you? xxxx

JuicyFig said...

So lovely!
I love the plastic bottles at the bottom of this post - isn't it amazing how someone can see something in an every day object you may never have noticed before.

The old bird new hat reminds me of one of my grandma's sayings "if I had a new feather, would my old hat do?"

Kath
x

bad penny said...

always a joy to pop over here for a dreamy look - I nipped to Yarn soup too - lovely.

Hope you are feeling much better now

missy k said...

What a lovely post....hope everything went well at the hospital.

Lots of love

Karenx

artymess said...

wow enjoyed that post Carolyn ...

Jensters said...

I didnt realise you are not well Carolyn....sending you ((hugs)) some great things to look at here....love your work and blog x

lynda Howells said...

I love all your work..you inspire mexxlyndax
http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com
and
http://tryingtocreatearteveryday.blogspot.com

layers said...

I think it is incredible how you are able to pull so many different images, and artwork and collages relating either or letters or colors- and so beautiful too.

Heloise said...

Another wonderful collection of your work. Hope all goes well for you.

Monica@The White Bench said...

Hope all is well with you! Sending warm thoughts and much love,
Monicaxx.

Menopausal musing said...

A beautiful post, as always. Lovely to see you here again and I sincerely hope you are feeling better and will continue to do so.

noelle said...

Lovely little things! x

Andi's English Attic said...

The collection of plastic bottles looks like a crowd of Munche's 'The Scream'.
I'd never have thought of sewing through leaves. You must have been very careful not to split them. xx

Carol said...

Hope all went well at the hospital, sending positive vibes your way x

Margaret said...

Beautiful work Carolyn, love the gentleness of the colours and the tiny details.
I hope you're doing ok, all the best. Margaretx

Sandra Scott Textile Artist said...

Hi Carolyn
I hope that all is going well with you. Just to say you are in my thoughts. Life is full of these humps and bumps but you will get over them. Lovely work as usual.

Alexandra Mason said...

Love this post, hope it went well at the hospital xxx

Cathy said...

So much to love about this post, but if I had to pick favourites I would say those gorgeous graphic starlings of Jenny's and your red leaf and sequins tag. I hope your problems all get sorted out soon Carolyn and that you start to feel much better. Have a good week.

Deborah said...

Lovely post. I'm thinking of you and sending you best wishes.

Riki Schumacher said...

Wonderful post Carolyn! Love your beautiful work. I don't know what tests you are needing, but I wish you all the best. Sending a big hug. Riki

Gez said...

WOW! what a wonderful post. I have soooo missed not calling. Life just a bit chaotic & all that...
Hope you are getting the treatment you deserve.
Something is telling my little brain I've missed an important date? ...
Continuing to keep you in my thoughts & prayers.
Hugs, Gez.xx

Sheila Roussel said...

Thank you for your kind words about my college exhibition. You are an inspiration to me! I am continuing with my art as I have a place to do a Degree at Duncan of Jordanstone in Dundee this year! I hope I have time for my blogging too.

Cathie said...

Sometimes when I have some quiet time I just come back and peek through all your deliciousness. Somehow - I missed this one - and it is so beautiful, so soft and so you! It makes me smile. XO
Miss you.