Monday, 28 June 2010

Pebbles and puddings

P is for projects and catching up with them!

P is for pebbles ... I love the simplicity of worn pebbles, grey ones with silvery white lines of twinkly crystals. Pebbles are a favourite and recurring theme in my textile work and I've been posting samples from my pebble sketchbook here recently

Pebble love



















1. One doesn't have a heart of stone 2. Waiting .... (experimenting) 3. Palavras pedra 4. Pebble heart 5. Big bang theory 6. Perfect little white things 7. Hearts 8. Shades of white 9. Pebble collection 10. Rock pool 11. Pebble 12. Pebbles 13. Playing with pinholes

Pebbles for Mosaic Monday from my flickr friends and faves ♥

Moonlit evening, silver clear
and the night's blue billows,
sparkling waves, numberless,
follow one another.
Shadows fall along the path,
on the shore the bushes softly weep,
black giants guard it's silver in their keep.
Silence deep in summer's midst
sleep and dream -
the moon glides out across the sea
white tender gleam

Nocturne by Edith Södergran

P is for poem from a lovely book of nature poetry Cathie gave me for my birthday ♥

P is for precious - one of my inchies for the alphabet challenge at Inchybyinch. I'm weeks behind the other girls. Never mind, I'm doing my best to try and catch up a bit











P is for pink - inchy










P is for pretty - my first decorated domino!










P is for picking and pressing flowers. I found this large flower press in a charity shop for £1 but it didn't have a very nice top so I gave it a pretty new one




















The image is dipped in wax and stitched to cream cotton linen with vintage lace and a silk flower with pearl button

"the walks had been delightful"
















I also added a red leaf dipped in wax then layered with chiffon, lace and another old button















So this gave me the idea to cover a smaller flower press I already have

Q is for Queen Mab's Summer Pudding




















I used a recipe printed onto vellum then stitched to mulberry paper then onto cream cotton linen




















I embellished it with torn chiffon, fabric, vintage lace, old buttons, some pressed flowers and some text dipped in wax - "picking flowers"




















Queen Mab's Summer Pudding is a Quintessentially English pudding and a lovely way of using up bread that's gone a bit dry

6-8 slices stale bread, with crusts cut off
1 1/2 lb soft summer fruits - blackcurrants, strawberries, raspberries, etc.
2 tablespoons water
5 oz sugar

1. Line a 1 1/2 pint pudding bowl with the slices of bread. If necessary, use a bit more to completely cover the bottom and sides of the bowl
2. Wash and prepare the fruit and put into a saucepan with the water and sugar. Gently boil until the sugar melts and the juices begin to run. Do not allow the fruit to disintegrate
3. Spoon the fruit into the prepared dish and make a lid with the remaining bread. Use a saucer or small plate (that fits inside the dish) on top of the pudding and weigh it down with a heavy tin or jar. Chill for 8 hours or more
4. Remove the weights and saucer. Turn the pudding out onto a pretty plate and serve with cream - I recommend a naughty blob of Cornish clotted cream and a blob of icecream!

Quintessential Queen




















No inchy for the letter Q today but it would have been Q for Queen of Puddings, a bit like this beautiful pen drawing that Cathy gave me. It has a medieval/Elizabethan feel about it. Perfect for a queen. I copied it onto vellum, dipped it in wax and added the text "Queen of Puddings"

Project update - Lots on the go at the moment!

My alphabet inchies and theme continue. I also joined in the Inchy Summer Swap to make 10 inchies with the theme of "on the beach". I couldn't resist that one!

I made a KISS quilt which will be blogged soon

My sketchbook arrived on Saturday for The Brooklyn Sketchbook Project 2011. I'm working on the theme "Beneath the Surface". I'm buzzing with ideas but I will have to work on that later in the year!

I just spent this weekend making three handmade books on a fun workshop with Kiwi Carole (Madness and Mess). The books I'm making incorporate all of the contents of my four erosion bundles. The three books have to be finished by 1st August

I really should have been working on my contemporary art quilt for FOQ 2010, which has to be at the Show by 30th July latest!

Well that's all from me for today, I'll be back with more rosy red ramblings later in the week

Carolyn ♥

26 comments:

Karyn said...

O Caroly I love your flower presses, well I love the whole post! Lush :) X

Julie said...

Carolyn you have such a beautiful touch, the flower presses are wonderful and I would never have thought of doing that! You've reminded me that I should go and press some flowers myself. xx

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Another lovely post Carolyn.
Beautifully dressed flower presses!!
I must look out for one as I want to press flowers next summer too.

I'm in New Zealand and it's the depths of WINTER and freezing. I have got a few little violas with smiley faces to cheer me up!

silverpebble said...

Carolyhn your posts are such a tonic and a treat, and you know how much I love pebbles. Thankyou!

silverpebble said...

Oh! An 'h' popped in to say hello. Sorry!

Diane said...

You have a great touch - you make such pretty things. Summer Pudding is one of my favourite desserts - with lots of cream. xxxxxx

Karen Turner said...

Thank you for the usual visual treat here :-) You worked magic with that flower press.

A bird in the hand said...

I'm afraid the summer pudding eclipsed everything for me, well, almost... I LOVE summer pudding. Now I'll go back and savour the rest.

Colette xoxo

Chrissie said...

'P' is for Perfect. Thank you for sharing lovely things!
Eeek - Erosion bundle project to be finished by 1st August?! Must dash ......

Kris said...

What a wonderful thoughtful post. I really enjoyed viewing :)

daisy said...

P is for so Pleased to see you creating again & your Postings are really a Pleasure to Peruse.

The inchies are stunningly beautiful as is the domino. Luv your mosaic & your flower presses. Beautiful work as always.


daisy xx

bad penny said...

Oh I love what you have done with the flower presses

Itch2stitch.com said...

I always love your posts, so much to look at and enjoy! I love the Mab's summer pudding and the flower press. Suzie xx

Cathy Cullis said...

oh now I am hungry for pudding..... love what you did with the little pen drawing, Carolyn, I know the wax will give it a lovely feel.... have a good week xx

Jensters said...

Might just have to make that pudding sounds so yummy....love your posts Carolyn they make me very infusiatic, your flower press is stunning....and i need to know more about this dipping in wax...lol xx

Jill said...

What a delightful post - I love all the elements.

Menopausal musing said...

What a beautiful post. I have been pressing flowers too.. anything to preserve them!!!
Thanks for the Fun on Friday :O)

Judy Scott said...

Hi Carolyn I've been tidying up and found a heap of pressed flowers - not sure how long they've been there, one of the joys of cleaning:) You're flower presses are lovely such a great idea . Have you posted a photo of your 'on the beach' inchies and I've missed it! cant wait to see what you created with the St Ives influence. As ever such a beautiful rich post and such a joy to read, have a lovely week - lots of love Judy x

downunderdale said...

Thanks for visiting me - sent me to your beautiful blog - I love what you are doing
Cheers
Dale

Owen-Sound flowers said...

Thanks for sharing great post. The flowers in the pictures are looking very pretty.
Thanks

SocksAndMittens said...

Such wonderful post, Carolyn! I love your blog and passing you this Beautiful Blogger Award: http://socksandmittens.blogspot.com/ ~Tanya

Deborah said...

So lovely and lush, as usual!

Bunty said...

Beautiful, gorgeous work! So inspiring.

Looking forward to seeing your journal from Carole's class.

Barbara

Caroline said...

What a beautiful post! Your work is lovely - it's inspired me to join TILT today! I included your beautiful Errata in a mosaic and gave you a mention in my post here http://carolinesstudio.blogspot.com/2010/07/1.html

Catharina Maria said...

Wow , that flower press is BEAUTIFUL !!
This post is also lovely ,
love the reds in this post !
♥RINI♥ and a big hug

BeadBag said...

I love your blog, and also love red. Beautiful embroideries.