Friday, 2 July 2010

Rosy red ramblings

R is a lovely letter!

Rosy red ramblings make me so happy ... so my post today is full of roses and lovely things that are red ... perfect for the month of July

Starting with a mosaic I made full of gorgeous inspiring reds






















Beautiful reds

1. ~peek~ 2. Barn stationery 3. Slow cloth detail 4. On the bias ATC 5. Red background errors 6. Badcock T- blue wren 1 7. Spring's heart 8. Coral garden sketch book 9. Seeds 1998 10. A heart's affection 11. Coral garden sketch book 12. Growth series: Creep (red) 13. Monoprinting - red paint 14. Silly girl 15. Things to do with leftover scraps 16. Kimmeridge no entry 17. The red stuff 18. Starting with the back 19. Tie dye explosion 20. Doublet 21. Knitting 22. Untitled 23. Hide 24. Who knew what when? 25. Vintage girl tag

Thank you to my flickr friends and faves for their amazing REDS






















Berries are one of my most favourite red things. I made a tag using a vintage photo of a little girl with a basket of red berries






















I sewed some Christmas berries to the tag and added a vintage sewing machine bobbin with red thread (which I found in the loft of my old cottage). The thread is too old to use but it makes a nice embellishment

















R is for rubies - my inchy for the alphabet challenge on Inchybyinch


















R is for red letter day and red stamps






















Things I love Thursday
- romance, love notes in a keepsake box, antique papers/envelopes, vintage letters, beautiful handwriting, black ink and red postage stamps from faraway places I may never get to visit

1. Original envelope from outlaw Frank James' widow - 1915 2. Love letters 3. Vintage envelope 4. Postage stamps 5. Postcard for Alice - #11 - Red Ink! 6. Untitled 7. Stamps 8. South African stamp 9. Untitled - for the flickr group TILT















Red letter day

I really love making tags. For this one I used some undyed silk paper, some vintage text about collecting postage stamps, an English stamp that is a particularly lovely shade of red and the words "a red letter day"






















Time is flying so fast, I can't believe we are into another beautiful month!

In my calendar for July I used a vintage photo of my Mum and Dad with red heart shaped rose petals from my garden and some text about love






















Rose petals I picked this week






















Roses in my gathering box - as well as limpet shells, a mussel shell, a pebble, a lead bullet I found last year, a fossil from the beach and some oak apples






















During the week I had fun making a whimsical stitched collage






















It wasn't easy to photograph but there are lots of layers - a calico base with vintage beige lace that features roses. I added some linen and scrim

The leaves are free machine stitched ... you can see on the back here















The flowers are cut from a strip of lace Julie gave me last year and I used various vintage buttons on top. The "love stitching red" stitched strip was made for me by Cathie

Love Stitching Red
















I decorated with printed tape machine stitched down and some hand stitching with red beads and finally added a dried seed head that I dyed red






















The red ribbon flowers with buttons gave me a whim to make some rose corsages using silk petals, crochet lace and old buttons













































































































































I had a "Crow Day" with Jo yesterday. We both worked on hand stitched projects, had a good natter and put the world to rights. I took along my red slow cloth I've been working on from time to time. It hasn't seen a lot of action for a while!

I cut 22 squares (each roughly 4 cm square). The photo shows the squares positioned. I have since sewn them to the cloth and shall decorate some of the squares with more embroidery, before adding the next layer

I found it very hard to photograph the red which in real life is very rich and vibrant with shiny gold metallic. I think my photo looks a little flat

It's an ongoing project I come back to every now and again, inspired by trips to Thailand and Mexico and stitched during my trip to Egypt earlier in the year. Some of the gold embroidered fabrics I brought back from Egypt



















Jo spoilt me with more birthday pressies including this wonderful rustic bird she made for me. Meet Rosy Bird

Rosy Bird













R
osy Bird is made from hessian and red/pink rose fabric with secrets in the pockets (I'm whispering ... there were little heart shaped buttons hidden in Rosy's wings). I'm a lucky girlie. Thank you Jo

Wishing you all a very happy and sunny weekend and thank you for reading my rosy red ramblings

Carolyn ♥

35 comments:

Deborah said...

So many lovely and inspiring images!

Chrissie said...

The world is rose-tinted - what a feast for the eyes! And I love Rosy Bird.

Jensters said...

Carolyn your posts are so inspirational all those vibrant reds rich in colour are so wonderful....lovely with the vintage photos too....i have a stunning red rose flowering at the moments that was brought for me when im SIL died....i shall come back and take another look soon xx

Itch2stitch.com said...

Your work is divine Carolyn, so beautiful! I love RED! And this post is just gorgeous! Suzie xxx

Judy Scott said...

I always wear something red, lippy, nail polish, shoes or a cardy and I have a lovely red bangle too.You've inspired me to make a crow I have the pattern in Cloth Paper Scissors somewhere, a glorious beautiful post - the petals on the corsages are so real and I love your stitched collage have a lovely weekend and sending much love to you - Judy xxx

Alexandra Mason said...

What a gorgeous and inspiring post. I love the colour red. Hope you have a great weekend xx

Scented Sweetpeas said...

What a cute bird and I also love love love that bird in your collage (image 5) - who did that, it is gorgeous!

Lisa said...

beautiful, warm and inspiring... i love the color red even though i don't ever use it in my art..my favorite is barn red...
your photoage is delicious..as always!
stop by my blog.. i'm having a giveaway though it's a book you may already own given your propensity for design and collections...
happy b-day!

jo mcintosh said...

Hi Carolyn

Another brilliant blog post! Doesn't Rosy Bird photograph well!

shirley said...

Hi Carolyn, What a wonderful blog this is...and what beautiful work...you are so creative. The roses are gorgeous and just love the little circles of lace in the centres.

missy k said...

Ravishing post..... I love it all .... especially the darling little bird and your whimsical stitched collage...... I could go on and on!

Have a great weekend.

Karenx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

First I was going to comment about how much I like the tag. Then I scrolled down and saw the collage and was going to comment about that. THEN I saw the flowers and I wanted to comment about them too. I give up 8) - I like it ALL!!!

Pom Pom said...

Wow! I love all the red, too! The tags DO look fun. Happy! Happy!

Julie said...

I'm glad you found a use for the flowers :o) Great post and so much beauty. Have a lovely weekend.

Lyn said...

Wow Carolun, what a great post I LOVE the stitched collage and roses....and birds....and well everything!
Love
Lyn
xxx

Lyn said...

Sorry that should be Carolyn!
x

Jill said...

Your reds are luscious and ripe, intense and juicy, never garish and vulgar, makes want red as my favourite colour too

Ro Bruhn said...

What gorgeous inspiration. Your stitched collage is beautiful as are all the other gems.

bad penny said...

I can't pick out any one thing - all so lovely in your wonderful red post
Red Heaven

silverpebble said...

Carolyn this post is sumptuous. A feast for the eyes. I'm rather in love with rosy bird. Loving her plumage.

Sorry I haven't been in touch about the cotton reel - things are very hectic. It's on my list to do x

penny4thoughts said...

Hi Carolyn! I followed you "home" from class to check out "where you live". Your blog is wonderful - I have loved my visit! I have a big bowl full of red raspberries just picked yesterday to add to all your scrumptious reds. Forget the shopping, I'd have more fun hanging out and creating projects with you lol! Nice to meet you- Penny (The US one)

Ati. said...

It is a party for the eye, your today post. Thank you :-)

Caroline said...

An utterly charming post from start to finish! I've started visiting your mosaic finds and know there will be so much to inspire me here! You have sucha creative eye! Thanks and wishing you a happy weekend!

Val said...

Absolutely beautiful Carolyn - you have such a way with your presentation - your Blog is just amazing. I love the stitched collage - really looking forward to seeing some of your Journal pages ...........

Mel said...

What a lovely post! Thank you so much for including my "On the Bias" ATC in your grouping - I'm honored and flattered! :D Cheers! :D

Linda said...

You do beautiful work!

Cathy Cullis said...

Oh I love this background watercolour wash of colours! you know I like a hint of red in something, it lifts the whole piece and delights the eye/heart - best wishes Cathy

knittergirl said...

I just discovered your blog recently and LOVE it. Thanks so much for sharing and the inspiration!

layers said...

you always have so much in your posts-- I don't know where to begin.. but I do especially love letters, postcards, postage stamps.. and your stitching.

Sue Brown said...

This is just all soooo delicious. I wish I worked like this, but we all want to do what the next person does, not satisfied with our own stuff. Can you imagine having a meal out with me...!!!?**! XX

Cathie said...

such a vast array of deliciousness. the stamps, the flowers, the delicate stitching. yum.

Fabric Art said...

Carolyn what a great color red is, all this wonderful things you have made, tags and the red collage, everything are so beautiful, love your work, great inspiration.
Hugs Anni

Twiglet said...

Great blog - I will have to come back to have a really good look - love the collage.

Are you curious about me? said...

Once again you have given us a wonderful post. Thank you.

~ Julie

Fiona Whitehead said...

R is also for Ravishing - just as your post is - Red is one of my favourite colours - it never fails to lift my spirits and your posts are just so gorgeous - hope you are feeling well x