Monday, 5 July 2010

Summer Sketchbooks, Seeds and Seaside

S is a super letter!

S is for sepia, St. Ives, summer, seaside, sand, sea, shells, sunshine, seaweed, sunrise, sunset, seedheads, seed pods, sketchbooks and sweet sweethearts

A new day



















1. Misty wrapping 2. Susan in winter 3. Saturday walk #54 4. He says 5. Bookworm detail 6. Night 7. Dry 8. Purple cone flower 9. Milkweed in winter 10. Sunrise and a heavy frost 11. Seed pods 12. Still holding on 13. Fluffy seeds

Thank you to my flickr friends and faves - for Mosaic Monday

S is for seedheads and seed pods. A most beautiful and inspiring theme that I come back to time and time again. I called the mosaic "A new day" because I began making it very early this morning and a couple of the photos feature seedheads taken at sunrise ... they have that warm golden glow with the promise that a fresh new day brings




















This is a seedhead I picked up walking on Saturday and photo'd on an art book I have
















A fave red leaf with more seed pods ...
















... with little black seeds















S is for St. Ives ... a super seaside place to enjoy summer sunshine, sand, splashing about in the sea, seaweed and shells

This is a photo I took earlier this year and played with the colours and edges in Photoshop

St. Ives in sepia



















Summer swap - here are my ten inchies with an "on the beach theme" for the summer swap at Inchybyinch










They feature the words splash, sea, sun, surf and shells
















In one of my shell jars I noticed this tiny pearly one sitting inside a larger one with grains of sand

My inchies for the Summer swap



















S is for sweethearts - my inchy for the letter S











S is for more sweethearts - a tag I made just because I enjoy making them. This would make a lovely addition to a wedding gift. I have two weddings to go to later in the year. Since starting Kiwi Carole's sketchbook making course I have discovered another use for the tags as embellishments for the pages

Sweet on each other




















S is for silver heart button made by Emma of Silver Pebble



















Sketchbook embellishments - this is a tag I made last week for the letter R (romance) but I kept it back because it fits in nicely with my colour scheme for one of the sketchbooks I'm making. So I shall use it as an embellishment for one of my pages




















I used a snippet of old lace curtain, dictionary text printed onto vellum, a vintage photo embellished with a silk flower and a pearl bead

Romance



















Sketchbook workshop

In Carole's class I am making three books
  • soft rose/plum tones
  • yellow autumn leaves
  • St. Ives sea and sky blue
The colour schemes are inspired by the contents of my erosion bundles and the three sketchbooks will be my finished piece for The Erosion Bundle Project. I will show all the pages when they are finished but I don't have loads of time to work on them at the moment as I'm also working on my FOQ quilt

Soft rose/plum tones















These are some of my painted, stamped and torn watercolour papers. In Carole's class we are encouraged never to use scissors, so fabrics and papers are torn and threads are left dangling. I do struggle with being too neat and precise sometimes but I've always loved torn and ripped edges




















Next came the "gathering" stage. I gathered together other papers to use as pages, old photos, tags, magazine images, pressed flowers and leaves, bits of torn fabric, ribbon and lace, etc. I've got quite a big pile of stuff as there is also all the remnants and distressed things from erosion bundle including bits of fabric dyed with madder, rusted objects, decaying leaves, delicately distressed bits of paper and ephemera to use

I also transferred some images to fabric and tags to use in little stitched collages for the book, will show that another time

I picked up quite a few pretty pink/plum coloured leaves this week which will work their way into the pages too

Windfall














Sketchbook Project - Brooklyn 2011My moleskine sketchbook arrived a week ago Saturday. It's a nice size - not too big but there are a lot of pages. I am absolutely itching to start this but I really must focus on the quilt for FOQ

















So that's the letter S all caught up with!
I could also have used all these favourite things that begin with S ...

... slate, sunset, stars, stardust, seascapes, sea glass, snow/snowflakes, scrim, sari silk, sheers - distressed, shibori, silk painting, silk paper, silk tops, space dyeing, stitching, stitches, sewing, sun printing, string, stuffing (not the Paxo variety!) and sweet wrappers ...

See you next time!

Carolyn ♥

ps. I had a disastrous dyeing session on Saturday! I saw the lovely pink dyed fabrics on Gerdiary and got some avocado skins to have a try. Put them on to cook ... went away (forgot all about the pan on the stove!) and fiddled about for an hour with this new blogger background ... went back to the pan and one disgusting and smelly burnt mess. It was so bad I had to throw my dyeing pan away :o(

46 comments:

ju-north said...

Lovely work as always!

Karen Turner said...

Sssuperb pictures :-)
And Sssshame about the dye pan :-(

silverpebble said...

Beautiful Carolyn - all my favourite things, and a really love how you've used the little button. It reminds me, I must make more!

Jacquelines blog said...

Your pictures are always so beautiful Carolyn, thanks for sharing

Itch2stitch.com said...

I love what you did to the St. Ives photo, and I adore the tiny shell in a bigger shell! Love all of it, as always, a beautifully art full post! Suzie xxx

Julie said...

A beautiful post Carolyn and I really like your sepia photo of the harbour. I still haven't received my Moleskin from America yet :( I've been doing some stitching in my book for Carole's workshop too so I hope to get some photos up before Thursday. Hope you get on well with your FOQ entry. xx

Kickcan and Conkers said...

Another beautiful post, I do so enjoy seeing what you've been up to. I'm always inspired. Enjoy the sunshine in St Ives!

Pom Pom said...

The background is VERY cool, though! Sorry about the burning! I get so distracted, I'm always afraid of that sort of thing! I love the photo of the boat, C.

missy k said...

S is for Stunning! I am going back for another look!

Love KarenX

ps I can hardly wait to get one of your inchies in the swap.... help... I haven't even started mine yet! xxx

Lawendula said...

Lovely art, lovely pix, great inspiration, thanks for sharing! xo

mano said...

what a great post! sssssuper! enjoy the sea!

mairedodd said...

beautiful, beautiful, beautiful... i love your posts - your words and images are fabulous...

Dot said...

Such a lovely, lovely post Carolyn. I love visiting your blog and always leave refreshed and inspired! You create such beautiful and heartfelt art.
Much love to you.
Dot xx

Debrina said...

Lovely, Carolyn. Extroadinary taste as usual. My favourite item is your collection of inchies but your mosaic of images (I call it the designer board !)is, as always, pure inspiration.

Cathie said...

oh good grief - I can just imagine the smell (and your dismay!) at the avacado cremation!!! I soooo thought of you when I saw Ger's post on the avacado dyeing and was going to try to dye you a few pieces for our parcel. but I was wondering - must the pot be made of a special metal??? hmm??? I have 8 avacados my love bought for me day before yesterday to give this a go. I'll let you know :)

Lisa said...

how funny...I just bought a pack of those delicious pink fabrics from Gerdiary..your gorgeous rose watercolor paper reminded me of them..!
love this set of photos and the seaside theme...always a favorite for me!
Perfectly breathtaking sepia photo of St. Ives..love what you've done in ps with it!
I always look forward to your delightful posts Carolyn!

ewa-christine said...

They are so lovley my friend. And hope the class will be happy and fun, good luck!

Diane said...

Love love love EVERYTHING in this post (as ever!!) My faves are the black & white photo of St IVes and the gorgeous romantic gift tags. xxxxxxx

cardinal arts said...

beautiful photos - love your images........and all the colours.......
__a

Cathy said...

Love all of it Carolyn. I am glad you have posted another mosaic. They are really special and I will be back to have a look with a cup of tea later. I share your love of seedheads and your blog background is gorgeous.

Caroline said...

Deightful post full of lovely things - I do love those plummy leaves so artfully placed! In fact all your photos are very creatively styled!

Alexandra Mason said...

Beautiful post. I love seed heads. Your inchies and tags are wonderful. Hope you have a lovely day xx

Ro Bruhn said...

What a beautiful collection. I've just completed a postcard for an exhibition called 'hommage to the seed' here in australia.

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

As a lover of bold colors, I wouldn't have expected to like a collection of sepia images... but you proved me wrong.... nice collection!

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

Another lovely posting, you have been so busy! Your sketchbook course looks interesting, very tempted. I have also thought about the sketchbook challenge, but so far haven't been brave enough to order one.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

S is also for sweet which is what this post is (well, other than the part where you burned your pan, which wasn't fun). I SO love your alphabet posts because I know they will be fun.

Menopausal musing said...

I have just had THE most lovely, restful, peaceful time looking at, and soaking up, this post and the last one. Beautiful!

Pipany said...

Such beautiful images here. Thank you for such a restful read x

Karyn said...

Have you ever been to the Millenium Seed Bank, Kew Gardens. They have some amazing seeds on display! :)

karen said...

such a great post, a feast for the eyes!! love those pinky torn papers.

blueberries in the fields said...

you really are a true artist Carolyn. your posts are always so wonderful to read and admire. love your sepia picture of St-Yves. Wish i had as much time and imagination and make my blog look so wonderful and refreshing as yours.
sending hugs,
monique

Fiona Whitehead said...

Carolyn - S is also for Stunning! Any chance of making your gorgeous posts into a book - I would love to have it by my side to open now and look through with a cup of coffee - received your inchies this morning - again Stunning! We're on W next week - if you get a chance you can still post your W even if you haven't done all the others! x

jackie said...

So sorry about your pan, but as G. Perry said this week on his piece about Creativity 'Creativity is about making mistakes'. Apparently he has it carved on a beam above his head. I know what he means.
Thanks for your comment - now received despite Bloggers problems at the moment.

wendy said...

Hi Carolyn, I have just popped in from class to say thankyou for good luck wishes. Landed safely and should raise about £1200 for charity. This is a beautiful blogg so i will return if that's ok with you. See you at school.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Hi Carolyn, love this wonderful background and the post of course, especially the seed heads. The tags are great too. Bye for now, Lesley x

libbyquilter said...

oh Carolyn, it's good to see so many of your wonderful posts~!!~ luscious everything and my heart is now smiling and happy and inspired~!!~
thank you.

:-)
libbyQ

Judy Scott said...

Poor pan but a beautiful post I love your sepia photo and the seaside inchies are great and love the sweetheart inchie. Hope you getting on ok with your FOQ entry, sending lots of love to you xxx Judy xxx

Deborah said...

S is for SO lovely. Your posts are so lovely. I've been thinking of trying the avocado dye too since she achieved such beautiful results. Sorry about your pot.

Jensters said...

Wow your posts are so full of interest especially for me with my love for Cornwall....who are you swapping your inches with i would love to swap one with you?? x

Bunty said...

Your artwork and photos are so inspiring. I love the pretty tones of your journal pages. Looking forward to seeing more.

Barbara

Catherine Chapple said...

Carolyn, your work is so gorgeous and your blog to die for!! I have been out taking photos today - you've inspired me! I am coming to Marazion next weekend for a week and wondered if you have any exhibitions or somewhere I can see more of your beautiful work?
Catherine

Carola Zajdman said...

This is great, i´ve just met you !! love your work !!

JP said...

love all this - thanks for sharing and inspiring and relaxing! - hope you are feeling losads better - by the look of your work you sem on top of the world

Lesley said...

Super post Carolyn, I loved reading it all! And your swaps are lovely too xx

bad penny said...

I,m going to have to pop back several times to appreciate this wonderful post !
I LOVE your new background - I saw it too & nearly nabbed it for myself !
Your journal is greatly looked forward to

aiman said...

your blog is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!