Tuesday, 17 August 2010

A postcard from St. Ives

Hello, do you remember me?
I've been having some time off from blogging :o)

I've had a really busy year so far and the last few weeks have been busy on the home and work front. I also realised I put myself through it quite a bit by stitching my quilt while recovering from my op, which was pretty stressful, so I've been giving myself some time to recover properly and I'm now doing great






















Wonderful art and photography from my flickr contacts and faves. Please click on the links to see the artists' work

1. Being at the seaside 2. Special treasures 3. The stone diaries XIII 4. Trace elements 5. Sun rising collage 6. Shell art 7. The sea and herself 8. Stars in her eyes 9. Shell organized collection 10. Dog whelk eggs (Jan) 11. Galveston shadowbox 12. Barnacles 13. Little seascape

A couple of weeks ago we had friends down and we spent some time pottering about in St. Ives harbour doing the usual holiday things, then a long weekend "up country" to a lovely family wedding and now, this week, my sister is down staying with us

Vintage St. Ives postcard postmarked 1961














... so there has been more pottering, beachcombing, gallery hopping and foodie treats which always means a welcome break from cooking ...






















Sunday ... we walked into St. Ives along the coast path and I'm sure it must be the busiest I have ever seen it in St. Ives. It was like "sardines" or "Where's Wally?" on the beaches and so hot, hot, hot

In the harbour we had pasty for lunch and then spent the afternoon beachcombing. I always love how different things get washed up on the different beaches around St. Ives. On the harbour beach all sorts of interesting mis-shapen pieces of sea washed pottery can be found and on the beach behind the lifeboat sea glass of every colour is there for the picking






















I found these delicious pebbles in Beau Bon Bon ... a lovely vintage style sweet shop right on the harbour front. These pebbles are made from yummy chocolate






















Monday - it was very hot and I got sunburnt without realising. We went to Godrevy an hour after high tide, walked the coast path, had an ice cream, paddled in the sea and took some photos of interesting beach patterns, then later to Hell's Mouth and had a cream tea in the cafe overlooking the beautiful hedgerows and countryside. It's very hard to diet when you're in Cornwall!









































Tuesday
- today we woke to Cornish mizzle (mist and heavy drizzle) but, in typical Cornish style, it brightened up by lunchtime so we went for another walk into St. Ives. We went to the pictures in Royal Square to see Toy Story 3 and loved it! Then a quick mooch round the new units in the Drill Hall in Royal Square and down to the harbour. Soooooooo busy in St. Ives at the moment. Feeling very tired today

The Blackbird's Song
















I've had some lovely mail recenty. Firstly, these beautiful ATCs made for me by Dawn Brimicombe, a friend on flickr. She knows I love pebbles and blackbirds so she combined them on her ATCs for me. I've still got to send mine to Dawn, so will show them another time

Seaside















This lovely card is a print of Dawn's artwork. Thank you Dawn ♥


















This pebble card below (along with some photos) came from Gina who very thoughtfully sent them to go in my pebble sketchbook. It features the wonderful pebble themed mixed media textile work of Liz Harding one of the artists Gina exhibited with recently at Prism


















Not only that but Gina sent me these gorgeous postcards of her work The Dancers. I am so happy to have them. Thank you so much Gina ♥
































































Had a lovely surprise from my lovely blog buddy Missy K. She sent me a dark red dotty handmade book filled with vintage style brown paper and a tag that says "things to do". Thank you for thinking of me sweetie ♥






















My first thought was how fab it would be to fill the book with collaged housekeeping tips, snippets of text and vintage images of domestic stuff. So I think I will do that in the New Year when my thoughts turn to sorting out the cottage after Christmas and working up to Spring Cleaning ♥
















... and then this wonderful antimacassar arrived from new friend Julie Shackson. It's so beautiful on crisp white linen. I love it. Inside, Julie had carefully wrapped some seed pods and leaves for me to discover. I made some still life arrangements with the pods and will show them later as we move into Autumn. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness Julie ♥


















Well, that's all for now. I've got five more days off and then I'm back to work next Monday. I've got absolutely loads of textile work, art challenges and gifts I'm making for blog friends that have been very kind to send me things over the last few months. Being over challenged is the way I work best and I'm also planning a series of giveaways during September

Autumn into Winter is my my most happiest time of the year
Have a happy week and I hope you come by again soon!

Carolyn ♥

46 comments:

Twiglet said...

A lovely blog filled with delightful items. Chill out and don't overdo things! You are such a busy bee!!!

Itch2stitch.com said...

I am glad to see you! Glad too that you are recovering well. I love the artwork, such clever peeps! Susie xxx

Debrina said...

I ALWAYS love catching up with your blog posts, Carolyn. I'm glad to hear the op was a success and you are certainly going about your recovery the right way! The St Ives tour you've just taken me on was absolutely inspiring. You are such an inspiring lady, that I would glady order up your entire blog if it was in book form! :-)

Clare Wassermann said...

Your post has made my mouth water!

ju-north said...

A cornucopia of delightful things!

mano said...

a wonderful post, thank you for showing these beautiful things!

Elizabethanne said...

Hello Carolyn, Glad to hear you have had a lovely break. I am amazed at the wonderful treasures that you find on your beaches over there. All that sea glass! Amazing. Thank you for sharing your time with us, Your Friend Elizabeth.

vintagerockchick said...

I so envy you living in St Ives - it's def in my "Top Ten Places I Want To Live" - along with Brighton, Rye, Southwold, Lyme Regis and Barcelona. Maybe I should just move to the sea and have done with it!
Glad you're back posting x

Julie said...

Welcome back Carolyn. Glad you're feeling much better. I love your arrangement on the plate, I have some matching shards of pottery here :) The patterns in the sand are beautiful, just like crinkled hair or fraying silk.

Jill said...

What a delightful post, full of Cornish sunshine. I love your plate of beach finds, you have a magic way with colour.

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend and taking it easy for a while. Great to see you blogging again.

Lyn said...

Perfect post as usual Carolyn. I look forward to seeing what you do with your beach finds.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Libertybelle said...

It's good to see you back and feeling better. I love your blogs and St Ives is my favourite seaside place. I'll be back there next month!

Penny said...

Lovely post, I do envy your sea glass, it is very hard to find here. Loved Cornwall when we were there oh gosh over 10 years ago for my 60th, DH was researching his grand parents.

Julie Shackson said...

Lovely photos Carolyn. I particularly like the beach sand patterns. Just had a lot of fun looking up the contributors to your mosaic too; what fun!

dosfishes said...

Your mosaics always make me happy just to view. Glad you are on the mend and have had time to relax. Wonderful gifts....xox Corrine

Pom Pom said...

Paddling in the sea and cream teas sound heavenly! It's nice to see you, sweet Carolyn. I'm so happy that you are enjoying your holiday.

Lynette (NZ) said...

Lots of lovely inspiration as usual :-)

ewa-christine said...

Always, always nice to read your blogg. I am so happy to do that.
Have a nice day and Carolyn in this week I shall have my exibition.......for this year!
Take care.........

Caroline said...

Deligthful post you have woven here Carolyn. Good for you to have some R and R - I think we always try to carry on regardelss, do too much and only realise it when we stop! Love your beach finds and the photos of the sand and .. well, all of it really!!

Sweet Birdy Love said...

Oh Carolyn, what a wonderful post, choc-a-block full of lovely pictures and mental images.
Sound as as though you had a fab time and well deserved too.
What wonderful treasures you found beachcombing, love the colours of the sea glass.
Thoughful gifts from bloggy friends, love the ATC's, the dancer in her sexy red dress, polka dot book, antimacassar, so sweetl. Love it all. So glad I dropped by for a visit. Loads of inspiration as usual.

Menopausal musing said...

Lovely to see a post from you again, but do take it easy. What a lovely plateful of treasures from the sea............

Gina said...

Pleased you are on the mend... and what a wonderful tour of St Ives. Makes me want to be there right now! Love your plate of beach finds. Thanks for the mention too!

Diane said...

Hi Carolyn
I left you a comment last night but blogger kept kicking me out! I love your beach finds - it was my fave part of the day in St Ives when I went beach combing. The dancers are so brilliant - I love them! A fabulous post - as usual. Lots of love xxxxxx

Connie said...

Lovely to see this today - though I haven't read it all and I'll be back!
Good to hear you are better, Connie, xx

Chrissie said...

CHOCOLATE PEBBLES! sorry, got over-excited there for a moment! So glad you're feeling a bit better, but do continue to take it easy.
Chrissie x

Jo said...

Everything beautiful in today's post, Carolyn. I love how you've arranged your beach finds on the plate - pure eye candy. Good to hear you've allowed yourself some time to recover properly. x

JP said...

so glad you are feeling more like you again - it has been a hard few months - i love sea glass too but we fdidn't find much when we were down in St Ives - I'm glad we came in April when it was s o much quieter

missy k said...

Oh, what a lovely, lovely post.... I am off to read it again it was so full of loveliness! I remember visiting Godrevy beach.... we loved it. You have got me in the mood for a cream tea now!

I love all your goodies and the sea glass is gorgeous.

ps
Did you know you can get your blog made into a book?

La Dolce Vita said...

by the looks of the comments, no one forgot you!! LOL!! great chewy post and lots of wonderful things here... I miss the ocean so..... itis wonderful to see the photos! grazie!! glad you are recovering!!

Monica@The White Bench said...

Hope I can visit St. Ives soon ;))) Need some of those pebble chocolates!!LOL
Big hugs,
Monicaxoxo
P.S I'm painting like crazy! It helps to keep my sanity!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

For those of us who are 'hooked on the visual' there's so much to see and enjoy in this post Carolyn. The mosaic for a start - love the black & white of the family at the beach - and then there are the ATCs, plus your stunning rock and sea photos (just the sort of subject I like to paint) Gina's dancers, the hand made book...... Wonderful. x

Lisa said...

delicious and joyous post! i am ready for some autumn weather too along with all the accompanying decor and colors...
i noticed a red theme in your gifted works...

deemallon said...

Hi Carolyn, glad to see that you are up and at 'em! Love this post with all its textures, talent, and colors -- have you noticed that if you scroll down really fast that the dancer-drawings are almost animated?

bad penny said...

Lovely lovely - what treasures - I love the photos looking down on the sand with the dark seaweed spreading out like hair.

Not done anything on the crafting front for ages - glad you gad a rest after quilting but great to see you back here .

Karen Turner said...

Glad you're feeling better. Chocolate pebbles - can't get much better than that!

gilly said...

Hi Carolyn - really loved your wonderful post - and can really relate to the Where's Wally description! I saw one family with a huge, tall, flag-pole letting everyone know it was their camp - it said something like "we's 'ere 'innit"

T's Daily Treasures said...

St. Ives looks absolutely enchanting and the art quilt you made to depict its lovely landscape is gorgeous! Love your collection of bits from the beach. What a beautiful array of little treasures. Enjoy the remainder of your holiday. Best wishes, Tammy

Margaret said...

Wonderful catch up post full of beautiful things! I love the plate of treasures, what an amazing colour range! Mx

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing more of your lovely pics. Those patterns in the sand are amazing!

MILLY said...

I saw your quilt at the show on Thursday. I searched for a long time before finding it but it was really lovely and the colours even better in real life. I loved the pebbles after seeing how you created them.
I have just blogged about my quilt at the show.

hensteeth said...

Hi Carolyn,
WOW, you have had a busy time of things and I do so hope you are feeling better.

Guess what???? I have just seen your quilt in the flesh at the NEC...prime position too! It was a real treat to see your lovely work there C.
Take care of yourself. xxx

Diane Kelsey said...

I'm so glad that Gina and others saw your quilt at the NEC. Sorry to have worried you.

MagicMarkingsArt said...

what a wonderful world of art I've stumbled across here. thank you for a look at your week and for your beautiful seaside collections.

pam@ iLoveShelling said...

Oh, how I enjoy your creativity. I love your patchwork photos and your treasure plate. A feast of beautiful shells and gifts! Just a beautiful post.

Brunel Broderers said...

Hi Carolyn
What visual delights! Inspiring stuff!
Susi here from Brunel Broderers. I sent a message to Liz Harding so she could see your post and her work on it - Stone Journey. Would love to link you to our blog too - www.brunelbroderers.blogspot.com if you would like to!
Thank you!