Monday, 23 August 2010

Textures and textiles

Good morning! Happy start to the week :o)

Here is my mosaic for Mosaic Monday ...






















... a tonal study incorporating interesting textures found in art and nature

1. | 2. Kokon 3. Drawing detail 4. Sketch 5. Fly blackbird fly 6. Portrait 7. Snowflake 8. Clay bird tile 9. Magical holidays 10. Frost 11. A winters day 12. Hemp 13. Chough 1 detail

Thank you to my flickr friends and faves for their amazing work ♥






















Last Wednesday I visited the exhibition of fine art textiles held in St. Ives Society of Artists' Gallery including the work of Sue Dove and Mel Sheridan (one of my most favourite artists!)I was particularly interested in Sue Dove's sketchbook ... a page a day project and the textile piece it inspired (no photo, sorry)

Here are a few general photos from the exhibition. I'm going again later this week for another look








































































Well, my St. Ives quilt has been at the Festival of Quilts from Thursday to Sunday and if you got to the show I really hope you had a great time. I'd like to thank everyone who has left me a nice comment to say they've seen my quilt hanging in the show. I'd especially like to thank Gina and Julie for getting photos of my quilt and blogging about it as I wasn't able to get to Birmingham this year

My time off continues ... on Friday I travelled to Somerset to stay with family and have enjoyed doing nothing much. I went round the charity shops and my best buy was a vintage copy of Gray's Anatomy for £1.50 and a book of Victorian ephemera

I've also been having a few lessons playing with digital textures and layers in Photoshop






















This is my first effort. I used a photograph I took of St. Ives last week and added a texture from a flickr friend Playingwithbrushes to age and distress it. I now feel that the world is my oyster with ageing techniques and interesting textures and I just know I'm going to love playing with this some more!

I'll be home on Wednesday and very much looking forward to getting back to some textile work and the projects I was working on before

Hope you find time to play this week

Carolyn ♥

29 comments:

Julie said...

I'm sorry to have missed that exhibition in St Ives but it's lovely to see your photographs. I've seen Sue Dove's work before and would love to have seen the sketchbooks.

Your digital image is beautiful. I shall have to get to grips with this digital imaging. Enjoy the rest of your stay in Somerset. xx

Diane said...

The exhibition looks great - one of the things I love about St Ives. I'm off to look at the other blogs to see a photo of your lovely quilt. xxxxx

Gina said...

Beautiful images as always Carolyn. I would love to see the exhibition in St Ives and have the chance to see Sue Dove's sketchbook work.

Judy Scott said...

Hi Carolyn, what an intriguing and interesting looking exhibition would love to get up close to see everything - thank you as ever for sharing your trips out and bringing your world of St Ives a little closer to me :) I love the ageing techniques you've used - playingwithbrushes has some awesome images for layering. Love your mosaic too - enjoy the rest of your week - love Judy xxx

missy k said...

You are clever.... digital too!

Have a good week

Karenx

Winterwood said...

please, please tell me if the Lifeboat pub is still there on the front?

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Yes, Winterwood, very much so!

Julie Shackson said...

It's a grey day outside and your mosiac was in tune with the mood of the sky; lovely images as ever......excellent choices! xxjxx

Itch2stitch.com said...

I wish I could have gone to the exhibition, it looks like it was brilliant! Susie x

Cathy Cullis said...

Hello Carolyn, thank you for sharing the exhibition details and photos - if I lived a few hundred miles closer, it would be somewhere I would like to visit. I have long-admired Sue Dove's work. I hope you enjoy your times and visits elsewhere, take care, Cathy xx

dosfishes said...

Wow, makes me wish for sure that I lived on your side of the pond. What a fabulous exhibition and place, the light inside that building is spectacular. Your mosaic's as always intrique, and your love of birds shows through, those crows....and your experience with photoshop, wow, keep it up and show us more please...xox Corrine

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

Just loved seeing your quilt in the 'flesh'. Photos do not do it justice to the colours and textures.
One of my many purchases at the NEC was a book on altering images for my textiles.

Elizabeth said...

Julie did do a fabulous job with photos of the Birmingham show. Your photos of the St Ives show are so very intriguing- I so wish that I could beam myself over and see both shows- so very intriguing!!!!! Your St. Ives quilt is so lucious and so full of fabulous detail!!
I know that you are going to do fabulous things with your photoshop layers!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

La Dolce Vita said...

love the mosaic and thanks for the great photos of the show... how fantastic! grazie!!

ju-north said...

Love your digital work! My one complaint is that I use Paint shop Pro and there's not a lot out there for it. I usually have to try to work things out from Photoshop but not everything is the same. If you are interested in (free) textures have a look at Shadowhouse Creations

Joyce said...

Went to FoQ yest.
Your quilt looked lovely.
Well done you!
Best
Joyce F

Cathy said...

Love your mosaics Carolyn. You always find such wonderful things. That textile exhibition looks amazing. You are lucky living at St. Ives and enjoying all the arty treats,( but I bet it is mega crowded in summer.) I have to go up to London to see anything comparable. Have a great and relaxing week.

ger said...

I must say I did relish the black+white+grey, thanks... ;) - the exhibition looks very interesting, I especially like a lot what I see on the 1. photo...

Jill said...

Another inspiring post Carolyn, I always love it when your name pops up on my dashboard.

Fenland Textile Studio said...

I love your work, its always so inspirational. I saw your quilt in person at the NEC, it was fantastic. There was so much depth and texture within it. Well down.

JP said...

I'd love to have seen Sue Dove's sketchbook as I love her work - went to FoQ for three days and thought your quilt was lovely - all warm nd summery - not like the weather here at the moment!! - a bit nippy!

Menopausal musing said...

What a beautiful mosaic........

The exhibition looks wonderful. Isn't Photoshop just THE best toy??????? ...... EVER! :O)))))

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

I've been a little slow in getting to read your post Carolyn - hope that Wednesday was a creative and productive day for you? Love the mosaic (as always) and the photos of the textiles show. x

bad penny said...

wonderful ehibition xx

Amelia said...

you always have such total inspiration on your blog! Thanks for sharing:)

Amelia.x

Debrina said...

Yet another inspiring post!!!

Jackie said...

I didn't go to the quilt show but I saw your quilt on so many blogs and loved it.
I went to a SueDove exhibition a few years ago and was amazed at the scale and colour of her work. Thanks for showing that absolutely wonderful exhibition..you are so lucky to live in St Ives.

Jacquelines blog said...

This looks great Carolyn. I am trying to catch up with your blog. Beautiful pictures as always!

sophie munns said...

Id love to pop in to St Ives Carolyn and have you leading a guided tour....
that would be such a delighful tour I can just imagine!
best wishes,
lovely to visit your blog...
Sophie