Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Christmas blessings

We had a very lovely Christmas
an economical and unpretentious Christmas
enjoying simple pleasures

we played monopoly and cluedo
had a few foodie treats and watched silly telly



I enjoyed making my own decorations

crystal snowflakes with touches of red

white twinkle lights
sprigs of holly and berry garlands
fir cones painted white and sprinkled with white glitter

a new year wish for you

I found some quiet time to play with photoshop
textures, layers and new backgrounds
d j pettitt


and got along to "Take Four" at the Crypt Gallery
to see the work of Mary Allen, Rachael Mia Allen
Doris Lindemann and Sally MacCabe (shown below)
(or click on the photo to go to the Crypt Gallery)

I loved making as many cards and gifts as time permitted

textile hearts with gold snowflakes

gold stitching, shells and beads

a little St. Ives cottage

the first flakes of snow

Merry Christmas snowflakes hearts

snow?
of course it was going to snow
my hearts were inspired by the little snow we had
in St. Ives at the beginning of December
but we didn't get the second lot of snow
at Christmas that the rest of the country had
so I stitched my own ♥
I also finished the heart I was stitching
from the papers out of the collage box swap #2
organised by Lawendula

This was a learning curve!

I used waxed papers and fabrics which then proved very difficult to turn
but I did manage it with careful manipulation

I am pleased with the colours and textures on this one
it's very tactile and was lovely to stitch

waiting for the winter sun
I made a mosaic inspired by the magic of winter light

Please click on the links to see the work of these amazing photographers and artists:
1. Early morning 2. Dry 3. Willow trees in early frost #1 (South Oxford 2006 )
4. After the rain 5. soluppgång genom äppleträdet 6. Winter goes on


I enjoyed every card that plopped through the letterbox
and sometimes there were gorgeous gifts too

This beautiful textile heart was stitched by Gill
and I was very lucky to win it in her giveaway

(Gill also made me a beautiful needlecase and card but I can't show them
at the moment as I'm having a few photo upload problems)

A delightful parcel arrived from Sweden

vintage and hand made papers
beautiful white fabric inchies

hand dyed fabric paper incorporating vintage papers, maps and stamps
so beautiful

a tag for the Christmas tag with an inchie swap
but I'm not sure who made this pretty tag
as there was no name/details on the back
does anyone recognise it?
a beautiful tag made by Joanna
for the Christmas tag with an inchie swap
a lovely cutwork card from friend Melanie
Another lovely parcel from Sweden
from Gunnel - see also here

adorable stamp from Sweden
Such a gorgeous card from my lovely friend Karen
I love robins and sparkly things

fa la la la la
lovely red goodies

a beautiful stitched card and heart ornament
from my lovely friend Penny

lovely handmade card from Fiona

a tree tag for the Christmas tag with an inchie swap
but I'm not sure who made this pretty tag
as there was no name/details on the back
does anyone recognise it?really in love with this wrapping paper (from Gill)
I was thoroughly spoilt by my lovely friend Chris Gray
I was overwhelmed by the lovely red goodies she made for me

a beautiful textile doll brooch
and one of her printed hearts

a little journal with Chris's design on the front
love little books

a lovely red printed design on her card to me

a fabulous stitched french style house
you can see why I love this!

and a pretty new birdie friend

choccie from Russia
thank you Diane
and lastly but by no means least
a card stitched for me by Mano in Germany

Mano has used some of the distressed chiffons and
metallic papers that I sent to her in the giveaway
with a vintage image and stitch - so lovely!

Thanks for reading down this far!
You are lovely!

... and if you can't get enough - I also posted here ...

I'm not looking back
but I will be looking forward in the next post
with my thoughts on projects for the coming year

I hope the new year brings you fresh optimism
and enthusiasm for whatever you wish to achieve in 2011

sparkly new year wishes to you
Carolyn

35 comments:

daisy said...

♥ Happy New Year Carolyn ♥

WOW you've started the new blog year with another fabulously beautiful posting.

The hearts are just divine.

daisy xx

Diane said...

What a truly inspirational post - I have written a list of "supplies" that I need to have a go at making some of these. Lots od love. xxxxx

Jill said...

Another box of delights, I shall have to have another, and another look!

Gunnels blog said...

So much lovely things you have got! But you are the most sweet lady in the whole blogland!
Gunnel

Jacky said...

I loved reading all the way down...what beautiful gifts you received Carolyn...what a perfect Christmas.

Jacky xox

Helen Cowans said...

Lovely presents :)

Love the collage of photos too.... I'm also waiting for the sun...can't believe we are just starting January - we've already had one winter!

ju-north said...

What treats you had! Lovely photos to remind you of them

Lisa said...

so many lovely treasures! still love your heart with the encaustic!

Pom Pom said...

Everything is so sweet and lovely! You have such an eye for beauty!

marigold jam said...

Wonderful collection of inspiring items. I must come back again and probably more than once to take it all in.

Jane

JP said...

a lovely post made even more delightful that I was the lucky recipient of one of those gorgeous hearts which are even better than the photographs show1 and a crystal

missy k said...

Wow! You have been a very good girl!!!! Well deserved goodies for a truly lovely person.... thank you for sharing them all with us.

I wish you a wonderful 2011 and look forward to seeing all that you create :)

Love Karenx

ps going back for another look now :)

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Such lovely Christmas creativity contained within this post! Love it all and also the magical winter light mosaic. x

Deborah said...

So much lovely inspiration!

dosfishes said...

Looks like a fantastic Christmas to me and I agree with Deborah, wow, where should I look next. Lovely heart from the swap papers so graphic and bold. xox Corrine

Sea said...

We tried, and succeeded on the whole, to have a laid back, family orientated Yueltide. Only flu messed it up. Over eating, overspending are not necessary to have a brilliant time.

mano said...

this post is so inspiring! I love the heart with the black-and-white-picture and the wax-paper. fantastic!!!
I wish you a very creative time with your new projects, mano

Mrs Moen said...

Your white on white hearts are amazing, Carolyn! Happy New Year!

vintagerockchick said...

What a lovely post with so many pretties - I'm honoured to be among them!
Happy New Year xx

La Dolce Vita said...

stunning post Carolyn! love the stitched hearts, love the collage box heart and the Christmas hearts especially. happy new year!

Caroline said...

What a delightful cornucopia of goodies! You've been very busy creating and unwrapping!

MILLY said...

Oh, that was such a lovely post, beautiful things, you lucky girl.
Sending my best wishes for 2011.

Hello said...

Oh so beautiful...dreamy, lovely work...can I ask you a sewing question? The typed bits on the hearts..do you sew paper? Or are the words printed onto fabric? It looks marvellous.

Happy New Year, cant wait to see what you bring us in 2011

Julia x x x

Menopausal musing said...

Stunning first post of the year from you...... such a pleasure to visit (as always!). Thank you.

Roberta T said...

What gorgeous gifts. How blessed you are with so many artistic friends.

noelle said...

Happy New Year Carolyn! A lovely post full of lovely things, i particularly love the stitched hearts1 xx

Pat Brennan said...

Happy new year from a devoted 'lurker'

Pat xxx

Margaret said...

Carolyn, what a wonderful inspirational post, your hearts are just divine! gorgeous detail! Mx

Shoshi said...

Carolyn - what a gorgeous collection! I love your snowflake hearts, and all the beautiful reds, your crystal snowflakes, and all the pretty gifts. Glad that you celebrated a quiet Christmas doing fun things! Ours was quiet too. A very happy and creative new year to you! I so look forward to seeing all that you create.

Emma said...

Blessings indeed! Wonderful harts & gifts.

I'm drawn to the square pieces in the gallery pic but couldn't find them in the link. Could you tell me who they're by? They look great.

Will we one day be able to see your sketchbook? I'm so almost finished mine!

A happy healthy & creative 2011 to you & yours.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Have added links to Sally's work and also the Crypt Gallery

I will be showing my sketchbook soon ... just tweaking it a little. Need to photograph it all next week before the posting deadline ... eek!

Sherry Edwards said...

What a beautiful post - so many gorgeous gifts!

I love your snowy hearts too!

Happy New Year Carolyn!

Libertybelle said...

Hi Carolyn
Congratulations you are the winner of my blog giveaway- perhaps you could contact me so I know where to send it.

Sandy Ang said...

What wonderful inspirational projects on your blog. So individual and unique every one.

Fiona Whitehead said...

Wonderful post Carolyn and I was so pleased and proud to see my card up there - the inchy tag of the Christmas tree was also mine - the other inchy tag Enjoy was made by Sam Bonney - she is also in Cornwall - you can find her site by checking on the inchy blog - she based her tag on chocolate! x