Saturday, 26 March 2011

Butter gold petals and signs of spring

"There is something infinitely healing
in the repeated refrains of nature ...
the assurance that dawn comes after night
and spring after winter"

Rachel Carson
so sorry ... I've been away from my blog for a while

I'm just so glad that spring is finally around the corner

a few warm days with bright sunshine
have been so welcome and much needed

a bit of sunshine revives our spirits, restores enthusiasm
and brings happiness to our hearts

a heart of gold
spring colours burst out in this gold heart I made
for a very special wedding anniversary recently

made from silk and gold lame and decorated with
chiffon fabrics, vintage lace, gold beads and a shell

a row of seeds stitched with gold thread
and a gold ribbon that says
"congratulations"

finished off with a shimmering accent bead

a couple of weeks ago I enjoyed a spring walk

catkins were in great abundance

and pussy willow buds fit to burst

so spring

there were fragile remnants of winter still to be enjoyed

and leaf patterns, textures and lichen tones
which inspired some still life colour studies

leaf patterns on habotai silk dyed with onions and rust

my colour study:

Cornish tree lichen, twiggy branch of patterned leaves
an acorn made by Cathy from hand dyed fabrics
an art card by Zara Devereux and a kettle dyed silk and marino yarn
on tie dyed (onions and rust) silk


fingerless mittens knitted for my lovely blog friend Chris Gray
in the kettle dyed silk and marino yarn by Manos del Uruguay

in the colours of lichen

Cornish lichen and rust patterns

inspiring patterns and my favourite piece of tree lichen

and looking a little closer at the tree lichen - macro

lichen
for Mosaic Monday
I was inspired to create this mosaic
featuring pretty lichen patterns and colours
from my friends and faves on flickr

1. . 2. Cladonia foliacea endiviifolia hot dyeing - results 3. Micro moments 4. Lichen 5. White & cold 6. New brooches 7. Lichen on rock path Merimbula Australia 8. Lichen 9. Lichen on slate (Aug)

My favourite image in the mosaic
is of these little brooches made by Lisa Jordan
lilfishstudios

I love these beautiful earthy colours

they inspired me to create these shimmering beads
in matching tones of lichen grey yellow green gold and turquoise

I love making and painting these beads

I love that each little bead is one of a kind

... not the colours I usually go for ...
but very inspired by spring and nature
lichen, buds, pussy willow, spring flowers and rust

this is lichen and rust on Cornish slate

I've uploaded the large size of this photo
so feel free to click on it for the large size then
right click and save it if you would like to use it
as a photoshop layer for adding colour and texture

I used the layer here on a photo of St. Ives harbour
It was a misty drizzly morning

and the layer just adds a bit of an aged look to the photo

Cornish mizzleI'm sorry I was away so long ... one thing and another

we had a close family bereavement
and I didn't feel like doing much for a while

we still have building work going on in the cottage
and we are so close to finishing but my hubby has flu
so we are having to take our time with it

Cornish mist
I have many new things in the pipeline
many more goodies to share with you
and some news too ... in the next post

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog
I am so grateful for your patience during the last few weeks

Carolyn

49 comments:

daisy said...

Sending golden hugs of Spring sunshine to fill your heart with love ...

daisy xx

Terri Bunn said...

another lovely blog Carolyn, thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. sometimes we dont look close enough to appreciate what is all around us, until you take your lovely photos and remind us.
Sorry to hear life has not been good to you lately. When you are ready, shout and we will have a meet. take care now xxxxx

fibrefrolics said...

It is SO lovely to be able to read your beautiful posts again Carolyn. You have been much missed. Very sorry to hear that you have been going through difficult times and I hope all the wonderful joys of Springtime help you feel better soon.
Love and hugs,
Penny

A bird in the hand said...

I've missed you.
Hugs and comfort to you, dear friend.
xoxo

Libertybelle said...

Hugs Carolyn- I hope you are feeling better now that spring is here. I love the beads- such gorgeous colours.

Jill said...

Such beautiful images, I have mised your wonderful ways with colour - hope everything picks up with the you as spring tiptoes in

Twiglet said...

Glad you are back blogging - we have missed your gorgeous photos and artwork.

Diane said...

So so lovely to have you back Carolyn - with tons of inspiration as usual. I love the beads that you make, the heart is amazing and your photos are always so gorgeous. My friend was telling me today that they used techniques that she discovered on your blog to make something for a project at the infant school she works at. Shes going to take a photo for me to send for you. xxxxx

judyscottdesigns said...

Hi Carolyn how pretty your blog looks and what beautiful images you have captured - hope that spring brings you new energy - so sorry to hear of your sad news- sending great big hugs to you xx love Judy xx

Julie said...

Thank you so much for the beautiful texture Carolyn. The images you have posted are beautiful as always and I love the very pretty beads. I hope DH is soon over the flu. xx

Barb Cady said...

It is so great to read you again, you have been much missed by friends and strangers! Enjoy the spring sunshine and hope DH gets better soon. x

...Miss...Maddie's... said...

So much beauty all in one visit... especially those delicious buttons and the fingerless mitts.
Susan

summerfete said...

another lovely post!

Deb said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for making me feel close to St Ives, it is a very special place for me and I keep a blueprint of the harbour and the beach in my heart always x

vintagerockchick said...

So good to see you back Carolyn - I've missed your beautiful posts x

Cathy said...

You have been very much missed Carolyn and you have come back with a super post full of gorgeous colours and textures. I hope the coming of spring will bring some healing to you and your family.

La Dolce Vita said...

oh so much gorgeosity on on this post Carolyn, it is such a beauty break to come by your place, grazie mi amici!!

Lyn said...

another beautiful post, welcome back.
love
Lyn
xxx

Elizabethanne said...

Dear Carolyn, So glad to see you back. I hope you are feeling much better & thats spring will see you full of creativity & good health. I just love the colours & images you have shared with us in the post. Thank you.
Your Friend Elizabeth xx

Sandie's Patch said...

Love those colours and the beads....
I thought I'd got a problem with my eyes, please tell me it's something to do with your blog...little ?birds black arrows drifting down the page?

Have a great weekend.

Sandie xx

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

What a gorgeous post and what a delicious surprise to see my little brooches stuck in there.

I hope you and yours are feeling better soon.

TheFairyyellowbugQueen said...

Carolyn there is so much here! Thank you! First, I am glad to see you back and especially because I only just recently discovered you!! Well this is another beautiful heart. I am stunned at the beads. Stunned! Gorgeous. I've been dreaming lately about making paper beads and with something added; so maybe I'll add some fibre. I just need time to play with the idea. Your photos are just so perfect. I mean perfect to dream and wonder and see. Well, good day and looking forward to peeking in again soon. *smiles* Norma

Lynette (NZ) said...

Beautiful post as usual :-) I love the details on that gold heart, and the handmade beads are cool - I had a go recently at tyvek ones (http://lynettecollis.blogspot.com/2011/03/lovely-tyvek.html) which I hadn't done before....are these tyvek too? Delicious.

Pat said...

Beautiful as ever, thank you for the texture. Off to play.

Folk Heart said...

I look for you each day and have missed you sorely. You are a treasure and I hope you have all the happiness and inspiration in your life as you have so generously shared with me. Many thanks for being you!

Quiltrobin said...

I love the beads you made. They are exquisite!!! Seeing them just isn't enough - I want to touch them and play with them, too! the colors, texture and sparkle are magnificent!

lynne h said...

so much beauty here, carolyn! thank you! i dearly love your stitched heart...

xoxo

Deborah said...

A feast for the eyes! So much inspiration!

dianehobbit said...

The beads are absolutely wonderful!

stitchinglife2 said...

LOVE the beads! Tyvek, or fabric... or paper? I can't quite tell. Gorgeous.

Missouri Bend Paper Works said...

Such a beautiful post....so many wonderful things to behold. I so love those little beads....just perfect!!! Thanks so much for sharing everything!
Cheers!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Great to see signs of spring on this post Carolyn, just love the pussy willow photos and the lichen mosaic, Zara's card......pure pleasure. Have a good week. x

Penny said...

So very lovely to see you back and your pictures are absolutely incredible. I loved just looking and looking at each one, taking my time and enjoying your words and images. Thank you!

Indianna said...

A SHOP - WOW - that's something to shout about - I neerly missed it - can't wait to browse around there on a wet day! Hope it all goes well for you. Mizzle - is a wonderfull word - especially for today :o)

Menopausal musing said...

Breathtakingly beautiful post.............. thank you.

Jensters said...

Sorry for you loss Carolyn....missed my little bit of St Ives.....some lovely photos and wonderful heart.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So glad you're back - you were missed!

Oil painting for beginners said...

This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

Cathy Cullis said...

such a visual treat, every time I get a moment to look at blogs, I like to visit and see all your beautiful photography - thank you Carolyn and happy spring x

Postcards from Wildwood said...

From the anniversary heart at the beginning right through to the glimpse of Cornwall at the end - and especially including your lovely beads - this was an absolute treat!

I'm sorry to hear of your bereavement, wishing you strength and healing.
Janice.

Andi's English Attic said...

'Cornish lichen' - how poetic that sounds. Maybe Farrow and Ball will bring out a paint colour called that? xx

Pom Pom said...

Hello dear Carolyn!
I love the mitts, the brooches, and your beads! I hope your hubby feels well very soon. Thank you for sharing the glorious photos. YOU are full of loveliness.

Caroline said...

Sorry to hear about your recent difficult time. Thank you for a lovely blog post - I'll spend time now going back through all the gorgeous pics you've shared with us!

jan said...

Hi Carolyn, thanks for your lovely comment. Gorgeous post and images, glad you're back :-) Jan

mano said...

wonderful post! the pictures, the hearts, the beads, the tree lichen and other nature things - love them all! It's always a great pleasure to have a look to your work!

Robin Olsen said...

All those warm golden tones give me hope that spring will be here soon on yet another gray day in Portland. Beautiful post, as always. Those brooches are wonderful, looks like they must be in hollowed out birch branches.

Shoshi said...

All totally delicious, Carolyn!!! Yum yum yum. Especially those gorgeous beads!!

Jessica Loughrey said...

i love those beads!!

Kate said...

Your photos are lovely. I especially am drawn to the beads you made, oh the colors and textures are divine. Wishing you peace as you come to terms with the loss in your life.

Hugs,
Kate