Saturday, 28 April 2012

Christmas in April

 Christmas came and went without much blogging from me


and I know you will think I am completely mad for posting Christmas at the end of April ... as summer approaches and the garden is full of birdsong ... but for blog's sake (for completeness of blog's sake) I'm slipping this post in to remind myself in years to come of the lovely, simple, peaceful Christmas time we had

we didn't have snow or jolly snowmen
nor any frosty leaves
but I whipped up a pretty snow storm on a heart for Caterina


"the snow was now settling so fast"
so ... I had to work quickly ♥
 

this heart was made from satin, silk and chiffons
with plastic, acetate and melted ribbons


it features silver sequins, beads, snowflakes
and an ice crystal dangly

I wanted to make something so special for Caterina


along with six beautiful crystal snowflakes

because I was so very grateful to be chosen
as the winner in Cat's beautiful giveaway last year

a copy of the Summer 2011 issue of Sew Somerset
in which Caterina's beautiful work appears

Caterina's stitched mixed media books

featured beautiful seed head forms
of which I am rather partial to


the magazine is gorgeous
and I'm very happy to have this copy in my collection with
Sew Somerset being very hard to come by in this part of the UK

Caterina also made this heart especially for me

layers of vintage cottons, lace and scrims
beautiful ribbons and a seed pod with beads
transferred to linen with black hand stitching


at the bottom there are more ribbons and lace
and a perfect button

I absolutely love the heart to bits
thank you so much Cat ♥


the snow/snowflake theme continued on our tree this year

with lots of new crystal snowflakes that I made myself
and snowy cards from family and friends
 
  for the first time ever I cheated completely
 with Christmas dinner and bought all M&S food
(as I only got home from travelling on 23rd December)
we had ...

easy carve duck
with a pork, cranberries and morello cherry stuffing
*
beetroot, red onions and chantenay carrots
in a balsamic vinegar and olive oil glaze
*
brussels sprouts
roast potatoes and parsnips in duck fat
and lots of cranberry sauce

 (and ... yes ... only one glass of sherry was consumed
... so was sober enough to peel the sprouts myself)

 
 I love the nostalgic glow of the Christmas tree in firelight

with pressie opening, choccies and Christmas films on TV
in the rosy glow of a real log fire

later there was frosted snowflake cake
with a nice cup of tea


and time to enjoy the lovely hand made cards
received ... which are always extra special

this adorable robin is a OOAK original print
by my very talented artist friend Lesley Ninnes
and I was glad of some quiet time
to leaf through Cathy's latest (at the time) art zine

and admire her very special card to me

so, after a very difficult time in my life
those few special days of Christmas were just what I needed
to relax, to reflect and appreciate what I have


a fleece as white as snow
thank you to the artists featured
1. snow on snow 2. new grey sheep 3. snowing cows and birds 4. snow flake bokeh 5. some plain spinning, 6. fleece as white as snow 7. sheep 8. tailspun yarn 9. Får 3 10. best friends 11. curious sheeps 12. sheep in the snow 13. homespun

thank you for visiting me ♥
more catch up posts are in progress ...

 I wish you a lovely weekend
Carolyn ♥

25 comments:

Joanna said...

Usually Christmas in April doesn't do much for me, but this post made me feel all warm and cosy and nostalgic. Beautiful photos, and the heart you made for Caterina is so beautiful. It's lovely to see a Christmas version of your wonderful hearts :o)

Lots of eye candy in this post, I'm drooling!

xxx
ps Happy New Year!

Distinctly Daisy said...

Always a delight to browse through one of your delicious postings. The silver heart is beautiful & the tags so cute.

Kris said...

Since I have settled myself into Spring here (California USA), I am delightfully surprised to read of your Christmas tales. I am reminded that although warm weather and flowers are lovely, the coziness of the winter holiday season brings so much to our lives. Cheers!

A bird in the hand said...

Who cares if it's "Christmas" in april. Everything is beautiful to look at. (I'm in that issue of Sew Somerset, too. I contribute for every issue :)

xxoo

missy k said...

You are funny! But in a totally good way!

Your post made me feel all warm and cosy - it may be April, actually very nearly May! but it is freezing, dull and it feels like winter!

Love Karenx

Erica said...

Thank you for coming back. Lovely to 'hear' you again and to peruse your inspirational work. May life just keep getting better and better for you...after winter comes spring!
All the best from NZ,
Erica

Jenxo said...

what a beautiful post , the hearts are just lovely :)

Sandie said...

It's a wonder that it isn't snowing...we've had just about every type of weather here LOL!
Lovely post!

Have a great week,

Sandie xx

Pom Pom said...

Hi Carolyn! Well, your Christmas was LOVELY! Thank you for the glimpse into your pretty world!

Helen-S said...

Your Christmas sounds just lovely. And I think we are forecast snow in May so why not Christmas in April?

Bella Gingell said...

After putting away my jumpers in our unusually hot March, this post seems quite apt as I watch the rain lash on my window and sit in a darkened room watching heavy clouds roll by.

It is interesting to see one reason you blog is to use it as a diary. I wonder how long they will live in cyber-space after we have gone?

PetraB said...

It is never to late to share ... and your post makes me feel warm, it is soo cold and windy and wet here. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Diane said...

To be honest, if you told me today that it was actually the end of November I would believe you - your post seems not too out of place!!! And as usual FULL TO BURSTING with lovely inspiration. I may embroider angels on pages of old books this afternoon! Lots of love to you my lovely. xxxxxxx

Gina said...

This post didn't at all out of place somehow... all so pretty!

Jo said...

Love the Christmas post! At the moment the weather looks and feels more like winter so it seems quite appropriate! Anyway as I love Christmas as you do who cares when you post it!

Fuzzie Fingers said...

I love Christmas so you'll get no comlaints from me. The snowy white heart is just beautiful.

AliceAndFlorence said...

I love Christmas and your blogspot whatever the time of year. Your pictures, pieces about St. Ives, ideas and gorgeous things you make help inspire me.
I was in South Cornwall near St Just third week in April and just missed your exhibition:( but saw a local textile exhibition in a pub at Newlyn.
Looking forward to my next visit to Cornwall later this year. Any chance of another exhibition !

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Like the lace background on your blog Carolyn, and the beautiful heart for Caterina and her lovely book too! Seed heads are wonderful and interesting....

Isn't it nice to see the sun shining today? Have a good week. Lesley x

steph: not just a mummy said...

beautiful images, i want it to be christmas now! the snowflake on the tree is stunning :)

Beansieleigh said...

Oh, a beautiful post this is! LOVED the beautiful gift you and your daughter made for each other!! Much as I dearly love my daughter, wish all my heart, she never took on a love for arts and crafting like I did.. not in a devoted way at least. She did try her hand at crocheting once, and finished a beautiful afghan, but she hasn't touched her crochet hook ever since. I wonder if she even knows where it is at this point, she is so busy with other things right now... Anyways, as for Tag Tuesday, I was just at the website recently and just barely, by the corner of my eye, caught sight of my blog name, on the right side bar! OH!! Well, I never really realized I could participate, because I just thought you were being nice to some girl who didn't belong!! Ha! Ha! (0; I'd LOVE to participate, especially with all these baking tags, I would have jumped right in on this one!! Maybe I'll just make a baking tag or two anyways. I'm going to be a little busy today, but I'll start joining in and let you know when I do!! Thanks so much Carolyn, and have a very Happy Mother's Day weekend!! ((hugs)) ~tina

Anne@A Little Fur in the Paint said...

Hello! Beautiful any time of year! I've just found your lovely blog, and I'm a new follower...so nice to "meet" you!
Best,
Anne

Monica said...

Hehe you're too funny, a Valentine's post in June! Well, I'm painting snowmen, reindeers and Santas :)
Thinking of you very often.
Big, big hugs,
Monica xoxo

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the romantic feel of your photography. Blessings!

Morna C-M said...

Just stopping by to say hello and to enjoy the eye candy which is always to be found at this beautiful blog. :-)

Pom Pom said...

Wow! I love the tag beauty, Carolyn!
The red touches in your work are so YOU and so fresh and pretty!
Bless you.