Monday, 27 August 2012

many more hearts

so ...

I'm just going to pretend that we are in mid-conversation
and "conveniently" forget that I haven't blogged since Christmas
and share some things from earlier in the year

vintage and prim

as it's Monday I'll start with these mosaics
which have a very pretty vintage and primitive feel


dressing up

inspired by beautiful vintage textiles
and childhood dressing up clothes


lace dressed windows

beautiful whites
and beautifully dressed windows


and while I was having a love affair with white
we had a white theme on Tag Tuesday

I made a little book of four tags
tied together with a white crystal organza ribbon


wintery harbourside cottages with silver snowflakes


I took some photos of each tag
before I tied them with the organza ribbon


a perfect little white sand dollar
 

a little white cottage with snow covered roof
and silver snowflakes on a mulberry tag


a hand made paper tag with a whitewashed cottage
on warm white sand with scrim, shells and beads
there are tiny french knots in white too
but you can't see them so well


 and the largest tag is a brown parcel tag
with whitewashed cottages on melted white satin
with white scrim, shells, buttons, beads and pearls
set in clasps that are like little lobster pots
with more silver snowflakes


for the last two weeks of January
our themes at Tag Tuesday were "vintage" and "lace"
so I used this vintage image of a little girl
with a pretty white lace dress

most probably her "Sunday best"


I dipped the image in wax before using it on my tag
which added some lovely texture to the paper


and decorated the tag with more vintage lace
little lace flowers and sweet heart shaped pearl buttons

I had fun with vintage lace for the next two tags as well
the first was for the theme of "hearts" at the beginning of February

 

again the image has been dipped in wax
and the hearts were cut from tissue paper dipped in wax
which gives them a lovely translucent appearance

 

the vintage sheet music reads
"that I love you with all my heart"


que je t'aime de tout mon coeur

I added more lace and little flowers
and the word "sweethearts" printed onto vellum


and then it was Valentine's Day
(Diane I know you are laughing ♥)


for Valentine's Day
 I wanted to use this image of two young sweethearts
and made my tag much the same as the one for "hearts"


it's such a cutesy image ♥

now ...
I don't buy into the whole Valentine's day thing
as I don't believe you need a special day
to show your loved one how much you love them
and I try to let my love know every day
but we do like to have some fun
so we treated ourselves to some nice foodie treats from Marks

pumpkin and tomato soup
beef wellington * charlotte potatoes * fresh veg
spotted dick * custard

hubby laid the table all pretty with candles
and we played silly board games
 snakes & ladders * draughts * ludo

in love with you

for Valentine's day
I made a heart from cotton, silk and lace fabrics which I
dyed with red geranium petals which my sister gave me

© Evelyn Flint Photography

my sister is such a very talented photographer
she loves to experiment with textures and brushes
and her photos sell on Getty and are very popular on flickr
you can see here photos here ... if you like ♥

Evelyn Flint Photography

she kindly lent me the originals of her photos to "play with"
and here I have used a nice texture by Les Brumes
to add a soft white background

© Evelyn Flint Photography

anyway ... after she had finished with her still life shots
 she thoughtfully saved the petals for me to use in my work



the petals were really very lovely when she first gave them to me ...
but I forgot they were in my bag
and a week or so later they looked like this ...



yuk!

never mind ... I used them anyway
and achieved some nice vintage marks on the cotton



the heart is made from silk with layers of lace and cotton on top
it's decorated with a red heart bead and vintage buttons
stitched with dark red threads
 

and more vintage buttons stitched with red


my heart went off to a good home ;o)


a mosaic of hearts in whites and natural vintage tones

natural love

  

so many hearts

each year I make a mosaic for Valentine's day
and within it I incorporate previous mosaics made with hearts

the centre square is a mosaic
and within that there are two more mosaics
you can see another one top right

so next year I will put this in the centre of my mosaic
and surround it with more beautiful hearts I discover or make

the links are here if you would like to follow them:


now ... in my Christmas post
I shared with you Caterina's work in Sew Somerset
 because I won her giveaway

and my friend Colette from Canada is also featured
in the same issue so I would love to
share with you these pieces of her work


you can see why I love love love

I've been in love with Colette work for years now
she loves to use my favourite tones of red
on natural fabrics

this is where you can find Colette's work

a bird in the hand

so I was delighted when Colette sent me this gorgeous tag
that she made for Tag Tuesday back in January
 how beautiful is this?



I ♥ {adore} it thanks Colette



within the pages of my Sew Somerset I found ...
this lovely ceramic heart button that I had put there
for safekeeping
{ ? ? ? }
(I know ... don't ask!)


it was a gift to me from Margaret of Liberty Belle
when we met up in May 2012

I've used the heart button to adorn a little heart I'm making
and I've now made four small red hearts for my shop
two custom orders and lots of new beads
(some in gorgeous autumn reds browns golds)

my shop will be updated on Wednesday and Friday this week
as, after a busy summer of custom orders,
I'm now back working for my shop again

well ... dear blog readers ♥
I must go and start the family tea

thank you so much for visiting today
I do ramble on a bit don't I?

love ♥

24 comments:

Barb Cady said...

Your absence hasn't dimmed your blogging spirit, a beautiful post full of beautiful things, brilliant Carolyn, you've quite cheered up my wet bank holiday! x

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thanks Barb ... and now I think I need a lie down ;o)

Diane said...

Laughing with you not at you Carolyn!! Sooooooo lovely and worth waiting for. Thats me set for inspiration now! so much to have a go at. Lots of Love xxx

Julie said...

A beautiful post as always and so many lovely things to enjoy.
Your tags have given me an idea!

Caterina Giglio said...

such a beautiful post, and thanks for the mention, dear one! lovely to stop by here for a visit... always!
xo

Sharon said...

Well worth the wait!

AliceAndFlorence said...

Sooooo beautiful.... I don't know how you do it ! But I'm glad you do. A lovely end to this rainy day, reading your post.

Libertybelle said...

It's great to see you back Carolyn. I love the way you have used the button. I must take a leaf out of your book and start blogging again. Hope to see you again soon. Margaret xx

fibrefrolics said...

So many lovely and uplifting creations Carolyn. You have been a very busy lady! You have made my day with your beautiful post. Maybe I should get going with my crafting again. You have motivated me! So glad you are back blogging again:-)

Lynette (NZ) said...

Missed you....beautiful tags - all of them xx

Are you curious about me? said...

What a wonderful post, you have brightened my day..

Catharina Maria said...

I love it that you are back with this beautiful post , mmmmm
Love ♥RINI♥

bridgette said...

Nice to catch up with you!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the nostalgic feel of your work, Carolyn. It's so heartfelt. Blessings!

Barb King said...

I just love your style, everything is so beautiful!

Sandra Bailey said...

Welcome back!
That was some catch-up post!
Lovely work, must try dipping bits in wax, looks amazing.

Don't leave it so long next time....

Sandie xx

BadPenny said...

Ramble away ! Came over here for alittle piece of heaven !

Karen Ann said...

So many beautiful things! Love your mosaics!

JansArtyJunk said...

A beautiful post...with so much eye candy...I just adore your artwork Carolyn...

Anni - Fabric and Mixed Media Art said...

Carolyn I have enjoyed to look through this post, your little tag book is wonderful, love it, your tags are all so lovely and so is your fabric heart and the heart mosaics. Wish you a nice day.
Hugs Anni

Elizabethanne said...

Hello Carolyn, I love all your lovely tags in this post. In particular the wintery white cottage tag. And I really like the lace window mosaic. Hugs Elizabeth xxx

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

Hi Carolyn, I have enjoyed a wee trawl thorugh your blog this morning (awake far too early!) Beautiful images as usual. Really lkiking the images and papers dipped in wax. What a great effect! Works so beautifully with the tissue paper.

Sophie said...

Hello Carolyn,

I'm analysing your piece 'Heart of Wax' for my A level textiles and need to know how you made it, why you made it, what it represents, what theme you were working on, etc. Any information would be really appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
Reply ASAP :)

Thaaaanks!

Chenille Cottage said...

What a delight! Your blog is simply wonderful! I googled "blogs that love RED" and your blog name popped up.
I am thrilled to have discovered you and how I, too, love stitching, decorating, cooking and creating with the color red.
Thank you for adding a bright spot to my day,
Blessings,
Carolynn