Saturday, 15 June 2013

breaking the ice

hello and thank you for visiting today

I am pleased to have broken the ice here at Love Stitching Red

it's been a very long time since I posted regularly
as quite a few things have conspired to keep me from being able to do so
the hardest thing being the loss of my darling Dad in December and
 even before that ... my heart had not been in blogging due to his long illness


I began to pick up the pieces in March by posting a few things on my other blog
and trying to get into the swing of things on flickr and facebook

these days there seems to be so many online places to be ...
and try and keep up with ... that I'm afraid for quite a while I lost my way here ...


I thought I might start with the jar project

it's a weekly photographic project which I began in January 2013
we are now on week 21 of 52 ... so I'm well into the project and keeping up

it's a project that explores different ways of viewing things
the way glass distorts things, refraction, reflection, light, bokeh,
theme, colour, shape, texture - you can read more about here if you wish


"down at the harbour"

this week in my jar I photographed some of the many pretty pink shells
I have collected over the years ... many from childhood holidays
in particular the ammonite type shell,
an upturned scallop shell with a perfect pearl shell
and a vintage seaside photo from my own collection

the focus is on the way the text distorts through the glass
and the way the shells stack up to be photographed in this way

this project is one that I mainly share on flickr


I have been keeping busy with a great many things in the background ...
various art projects that have caught my attention such as
Wreck This Journal (with a London theme) and hosting Tag Tuesday

visiting galleries and exhibitions and enjoying Crow Days
working in sketchbooks, making things for my etsy shop
natural dyeing, seaside hearts and collages as well as
planning the work for a textiles exhibition in St. Ives later in the year


these delicious things were a gift from my friend Jo
(just part of a lovely parcel of things she bundled up for me)
I will share more on that and a great deal of other stuff  too ...

I hope to keep up to date again now
but will also try to slip in some other things that may be of interest

it's so nice to be in touch again with old friends
and to hear from friends that have always been there for me
thank you ♥

18 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I like the jar project and especially the way you explain it!
I will go over to Flickr and try to find you.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So happy to see you're back - you've definitely been missed. Very sorry about your Dad though. I know how hard it is to lose such an important part of your life...mine has been gone for nearly three years after having lived with us for the last 12 years of his life.

Lisa said...

Good to see you back Carolyn. I'm sorry that its been such a difficult year especially with the loss of your dad.

Wishing you peace and love... Your beautiful images and words always bring renewed inspiration... Take care x

Kris said...

Much love is whooshing across the land and seas from this loving soul to yours.

A bird in the hand said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad. And I'm sure he's happy that you're active again :)
Love, Colette

Beverley said...

I love the jar project, and pop by to see often. I've been on Facebook a few months now, it doesn't sit comfortably with me. Sometimes I think you need the full story, the taking time to savour and enjoy which a blog gives, rather than the instant, seen, on to the next. Things need to be moretjan a moment. Nothing nicer than a mug of tea and a read.
Keep going, its appreciated.

Julie said...

Welcome back dear friend. Take it easy though and only blog when you feel like it. xx

Lynette (NZ) said...

Glad to see you again. I must add you to my contacts on flickr so i don't miss a thing :-)

Lynn Holland said...

Lovely to have you back here Carolyn but I know what you mean about there being so many places to be in Internet world. It's difficult to find a balance and not spend half the time zooming from one place to another.
It's lovely to see your beautiful creativity again.
Lynn x x x

Redanne said...

Hello Carolyn, lovely to see you back with this gorgeous project. So sorry about your Dad though. Hugs, Anne x

sharon young said...

So lovely to see your wonderful images again, it's always a pleasure.
I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, these things take a long time work through, and I hope you find solace in your blogging.

libbyquilter said...

hello Carolyn~!
it's good to see this post and know that your creative spirit is beginning to gain momentum once again.
i'm sorry to hear of the loss of your father and can say from experience that it's not an easy thing to work through.
i'm looking forward to your future posts as i know them to be beautiful and inspirational indeed.

:-)
libbyQ

Barb Cady said...

What can I say, I'm so glad you feel able to return, I have missed your wonderful blog but have enjoyed re-reading your old posts. The jar project is a splendid project, it makes me look at things in a different way. Hope you had a splendid trip away, love barb x

Indianna said...

Happy to see you back, but sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully see you sometime!

Ro Bruhn said...

So good to see you back again with another very inspiring post. Love your jar project.

Karen Larko said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. I just wanted to say that I am very inspired by your art. Such beautiful work! Glad you're back.
karen

Carolyn Phillips said...

Welcome back. So sorry to hear about your dad.

I've seen some of the jar project on Flickr and facebook and have been loving the reflections of light and texture in the glass.

Cathie said...

EVERY time I see a cream or white heart - I think of you.