Thursday, 19 September 2013

into the hedgerows

since I last popped by ...
many lovely autumn walks have been enjoyed
 through the woodlands of Treloyhan Manor


admiring the berries along the way ...


these are St. John's Wort berries ripening nicely in the autumn sunshine
I'm loving these colours so very much ...


even the leaves are perfection

 
an autumn walk ... up the lane

 
leaning into the hedgerows
to pick the uppermost juiciest blackberries
and being dazzled by warm autumn sunshine

 


several pounds of blackberries were snaffled


there is a beauty even in nature's decay and final stages of life
 

blackberry fairy
what a star you are ...
 

all dressed up in your dreamy pink skirts


another sweet treasure to be found in the hedgerow ...
a pale pink honeysuckle ... it's scent a souvenir of summer


and isn't it nice to come home with your blackberry stash ...


to spend a wet Sunday afternoon
using some of the juice for dyeing fabrics and old lace pieces


and using the rest of the blackberries to make a pie
 ... a blackberry and bramley apple pie for Sunday pudding ...
yum!


cherries berries and bokeh


today I got the fabrics out of the jar ...


 

at the same time ...
I'd also cooked up some dye with some onion skins I'd been saving


these tones of purple (below) were obtained by crushing the blackberries
directly onto the fabrics rather than soaking in the dye jar


 and these earth tones were achieved by mixing
the blackberry dye with the onion dye


quite lovely autumn tones I think

they remind me of these hydrangeas I photographed
on my Treloyhan walk


and as you can see I'm still enjoying playing with textures and borders

since I last wrote ...

I've had a lovely time away in Torquay with my hubby
lots of walking around the marina and harbour
leisurely cups of tea with cake
and lots of fun at the Princess Theatre seeing Elvis and Ken Dodd

Ken Dodd was amazing and, at 86, he is as funny now as ever
I first saw him in the seventies at Blackpool
they say laughter is a real tonic ... so I would highly recommend his show
 (go see him !!)

last week we celebrated our anniversary in St. Ives
with dinner at the Porthminster Beach Café ...


a beach view table, memorable pink skies, the prettiest food
decorated with flowers from the Porthminster Beach Café garden
 and a lovely anniversary card from them too ...
an Emma Jeffreys painting of the Café, beach and harbour


St. Ives is very busy at the moment ...
hosting the annual September Arts Festival
14 - 28 September 2013

and my sister is down ... staying with me all this week
13 - 22 September 2013
the weather has been mixed ... nice one day ... rainy the next
we've been out and about most days walking on the coast path
beach combing for treasures, round the galleries and taking part in workshops
but more on that another day ...


I've been working on a couple of new seaside hearts
and these will be available from my shop tomorrow

meanwhile I continue to work on pieces for a show in November

"SEW ... A NEEDLE PULLING THREAD"
3 - 16 November 2013
St. Ives Arts Club
Westcotts Quay/The Warren,  St. Ives, Cornwall

I would love to meet you ... if you are down this way
thank you for reading today ♥

14 comments:

Lynn Holland said...

Aah ! What a blissful read and stroll through Autumn I've just had with you. Thank you.
Things sound good, best wishes to you all.
Lynn x

Lynette (NZ) said...

Your posts are so beautiful I just soak them in....especially love the scrummy dyed bits. Happy Autumn :-)

Fuzzie Fingers said...

I love the Autumn and thanks for sharing all your beautiful pics with us.I love the results you got with your dyed fabrics especially the paler colours. Those pies look good too.

Debbie said...

Such a lovely post, I love the colours you have achieved from the blackberries, we have loads at the back of the beach, now I have something to do with them other than make jam, brilliant.

Everyday Things said...

what a beautiful post *sigh*

Angela Willis said...

What beautiful photos Carolyn. And the colours are absolutely you. I walk Rosie through fields that are lined with blackberry bushes but I seem to eat them all on the spot and never get them back to the kitchen :-)

PetraB said...

This is a lovely walk through Autumn, your photos are so beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for taking us along.

libbyquilter said...

a totally beautiful post and i especially enjoyed seeing your dying experiments~!

wish i was close enough to attend the show. i'm sure that it will be lovely~!

:-)
libbyQ

Barb Cady said...

Thank you, thank you,THANK YOU, for such a lovely post, beautiful photographs and totally scrummy dying! I am off to find some blackberries now to have a go! Am playing too with the delightful pack of Autumn fabrics you gave me. Such a lovely time of year, wish I could use my camera half as well as you do! Enjoy your sisters visit, hugs, barb xx

Red Rose Alley said...

These pies look amazing. These are lovely pictures today.

Happy Autumn days.

~Sheri

PeregrineBlue said...

oh carolyn, what beautiful shades of red and pink. i had no idea you could dye fabric with blackberries. i have them all the time so i will give this a try. i've been yearning to do another bundle.

your sister's visit and those scones with clotted cream and jam lseems to have crowned the rosiness.
much love your way as always.

Diane said...

What a feast for the eyes Carolyn - deliciousness. xxx

Julie said...

I've had a lovely catch up on your blog Carolyn. You always get such beautiful light and detail in your photographs. Xx

Minnie Me said...

Blackberry dying, what a cool idea. I love your blog. We love it down there in St Ives...we r up in Devon but often feel the need to escape down to corwall for the day!