Monday, 5 January 2015

the erosion bundle project

I don't usually post about my bundle so soon after putting it in the garden
but I tied it to the hydrangea bush and we had a lot of heavy rain overnight
the branch snapped ... and the bundle ended up on the garden


it picked up a lot of dirt and I noticed that already there are signs of colour runs
from stuff inside the bundle ... probably napkin dye or fabric run



and now it's back in the bush ... wedged in a bit tighter


how to make a bundle

the real reason for today's post is to share about how to put a bundle together
for anyone wishing to have a go this year ...

the first thing to remember is not to include anything precious to you
so I would recommend photocopying vintage images unless you are prepared for the rot

gather together :

 a variety of different papers, craft papers, brown papers, hand made papers
textured, vellum, tracing paper, tissue paper, paper bags, etc

a variety of fabrics ... craft fabrics, hand dyed fabrics, cotton, silk, lace, ribbons
natural fibres such as silk and cotton work best
but include anything you wish (it's an experiment)

organic matter - leaves, twigs, berries, flowers, seeds, seed heads, etc.
these will give you some nice prints, colour runs and mould patterns

rusted objects - nails, washers, found objects, etc.
these will transfer rust to the papers and fabrics, rust will meet paint runs

a variety of fabrics and papers where colours and dyes might run
serviettes and napkins and coloured tissue papers are good for colour run

a variety of interesting ephemera, vintage photographs and letters
flyers, art tags, old cards, art cards, images from magazines

what you do :

find an old piece of cotton sheet or pillow case or other fabric
inside ... layer up all the things you have gathered, mix the layers as you go
then tie up your cotton bundle with string or cotton ribbon or similar

place your bundle under a tree or bush, bury it in the soil
or hang it from a tree for three months
(try to resist opening, poking or prodding during this time!)

leave your bundle in the garden until 1st April 2015

11 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Making bundles is such an artistic thing to do! You are very sweet to give instructions.

WendyK said...

Thank you so much for the instructions, I have being wanting to have a go since I read about it on your blog. Hope all is going well for you now, Have a wonderful New Year.
Wendy x

TwinkleToes2day said...

Your hydrangea is a beautiful colour Carolyn and compliments your bundle so very well :) xx

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

You've inspired me to do one again. Haven't done one in ages and we've some ancient apple trees at the new house with a hole just begging for a bundle. Looking forward to the progress. xox

sharon young said...

Thank you very much for posting the instructions for the bundle, I too have been wanting to have a go for a while, especially as I now have a place to bury it in my allotment garden.

Wendy Watson said...

I love the idea of leaving a bundle to weather. I was wondering how tightly it should be bound.

Lynn Holland said...

Aaaah bliss being back here.
Lots of love xxx

Diane said...

So WONDERFUL to have you back on here Carolyn. I am going to have a go at this, you are my inspiration. I hope you are going to show me what to do with it all once it is "weathered" xxxxx

PetraB said...

Thank you for sharing. I really have to find a way and place to do this!

Erica said...

Hi Carolyn. You have inspired me to try two erosion bundles. It is the height of summer here in NZ so it was a bit problematic burying a parcel. The soil is SO dry it tumbled back into the hole as fast as I scooped it out! Done now. The other one is residing between the branches of a very bushy conifer. I am just hoping I have not made the packages too thick! Patience needed till April.

Wendy Sylvestre said...

Ohhh, I'm happy you're picking this up again! I saw this project a little while ago on erosionbundles.blogspot.com and thought it was sad the project had ended. So I'm happy to see it anew here on your blog. Definitely going to place mine somewhere this year! Thank you for the inspiration! Wishing you a beautiful day ~ Wendy of Apple and Apricot