Wednesday, 18 February 2015

torn scribbles and layers - WOW!!

it was nice to use some different colours in the journal this week
and the prompts were messier than in previous posts
I'm working in, and sharing, the pages in the order they appear in the journal
but, up to now, the prompts haven't been all that "wreckful"
this week they are ...
  1. do some rubbings with a pencil
  2. scribble wildly, violently, with wreckless abandon
  3. tear strips ... rip it up; and
  4. glue, staple or tape these pages together

I always collage the pages before following the prompts
these have a Paris theme rather than a London theme

for the first prompt of "rubbings with a pencil" I used a floral stencil

the rubbings came out quite pretty, but too faint
so I stencilled over the top with the pencil ... so quite pleased with these patterns


next prompt ... to scribble
my background is collaged and spread with copper shimmer acrylics
then I scribbled, of course, but it was very hard to "wreck" this page
so I found the only way was to close my eyes and scribble wildly with my left hand
but job done ...


scribbling on the torn page


torn strips and scribbles


the next couple of pages are two prompts in one challenge
to tear the pages into strips and then to glue some pages together


here ... playing with shimmering acrylics applied with a palette knife


strips torn and pages ripped



then pages glued together

and lines drawn in with black artist pen


it created some nice textures
colours used ... silver, light grey, paynes grey, copper shimmer and burnt umber


I enjoyed the journal this week ... it's definitely coming along
thank you for reading today

12 comments:

PetraB said...

These pagrs look the part! Very unique, enjoyed the varied colours.

TwinkleToes2day said...

Excellent Carolyn. I like the left handed scribbles. I wonder if Teddy enjoyed the effect, he looks very cute in hos clown costume.
The ripped pages remind me of the different sedimentary layers found on big rocks. Beautiful colours.
I haven't worked in my Anti Journal in order of pages all the time, I'm jumped about a bit finding a page that takes my fancy, or one that is convenient to do.
Right I'm off to see what Karen's done {{Hugs}} :o) xx

Fuzzie Fingers said...

I had a look at this journal when I first saw you were going to be working in it but when I read the prompts I thought 'no it's not for me'. But when I see your pages I see how it is possible to be creative and to incorporate the prompts. If I remember correctly there is a page that says something like suck a sweet and lick this page. I cant wait to see what you do with that one.

l.wilks11 said...

Why is it that when i have a go at trying to be creative it doesn't seem to have the same meaning and feeling as your creative work.?........xx

Wendy Watson said...

Wonderful pages! I can see why you use so many layers in the book . . . my copy arrived earlier today and I was disappointed with the quality of the paper. Now, whwre's my glue!

missy k said...

Love what you've done Carolyn....

I find 'reckless abandon' rather difficult. I'm a bit of a 'neat freak' but I'm trying! Scribbling is scary! So well done!

I'll be back for another close up look later - but right now I have got to wrap up and go to the tip!!!!!!

'See' you soon

Karen x

Caterina Giglio said...

I see true joy here, dear heart.. hoping all is well with you and life is wonderful.. xoxo

Lyn said...

All very creative, your journal is looking great...I bet it is getting quite hard to close now! xxx

Anni - My Creative Life and Mixed Media Books said...

Carolyn it is so inspiring to your see Wreck The Journal, it makes me want to get started on my, I bought one a half year ago, but haven't started, glad you are back and blogging again.

Anni




Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh dear - you got me at scribbling. I could NOT do that - my perfectionism would get in the way. Good solution though to close your eyes!

Pom Pom said...

Art is so life-giving, isn't it? You are a very inspiring artist, good Carolyn!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Marvelous free form fun. Love those ripped pages and tiny stars. xox